Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the card does is send a 32-bit number - if it matches the one in your account, and there is a payment system set up, you should be good to go. If Evie cards work on Chargefox, they are not checking the numbers for validity in any other way.
That is very weak “security” if that’s the case. So if you randomly create a virtual RFID tag code that happens to be associated with someone else’s account, you get free electricity?

It takes so long to try a number out, you would quickly tire of trying all 2^32 of them...
My RFID card only has an 8 digit number on it. OK, that’s still 100 million combinations, but way short of 4.3 billion. Also you wouldn’t need to try every number, you only need to try until you guessed one that was linked to an account.

If every household in Australia had one RFID card linked to Chargefox (OK, this is an EV nirvana future :D), you’d only need to guess a median of 9 times. More than do-able.

If randomness is the sole security measure, something of the order of 1 chance in a decillion would be more appropriate, and would cost nothing extra.

This is interesting from Chargefox, showing the utilisation of the battery at the Goulburn site when supporting total charging loads several times in excess of the site's grid connection capacity: Evan Beaver on LinkedIn: #PowerCache #evcharging #batteryenergystorage

Reactions: Hairyman
This is interesting from Chargefox, showing the utilisation of the battery at the Goulburn site when supporting total charging loads several times in excess of the site's grid connection capacity: Evan Beaver on LinkedIn: #PowerCache #evcharging #batteryenergystorage
Do you know what the site's grid connection capacity actually is? There are some spikes where the "Power Network" curve goes above 100kW. That's excellent when the site is drawing more than 200kW. However, I would be surprised if the grid connection is less than 300kW.

Do you know what the site's grid connection capacity actually is? There are some spikes where the "Power Network" curve goes above 100kW. That's excellent when the site is drawing more than 200kW. However, I would be surprised if the grid connection is less than 300kW.
It’s probably still 180kW, of which the other users need 30kW. That’s what it was on day one. They could have paid to upgrade the grid but a battery solution is better and more socially responsible.

It’s probably still 180kW, of which the other users need 30kW. That’s what it was on day one. They could have paid to upgrade the grid but a battery solution is better and more socially responsible.

Based on the article, they must have a way to prevent the Tritium chargers from all going full bore at the same time. They have 180kW grid plus 250kW battery output. So, the aggregate must stay below 430kW even though they have a total 750kW nameplate of chargers installed.

The PowerTec MD who posted that chart said it's "a humble service station feeder of 110kW rating."

What I'm curious about is whether the figures include the other service station site loads as well - I'd guess so, by the way it never drops to zero.

Based on the article, they must have a way to prevent the Tritium chargers from all going full bore at the same time. They have 180kW grid plus 250kW battery output. So, the aggregate must stay below 430kW even though they have a total 750kW nameplate of chargers installed.
I’m sure that’s possible. How could it know to stop at 500 amps? Surely it could just as easily limit itself to a lower output.

But it shouldn’t matter. Daytimes the solar system should output plenty. And if they ever charged 2 x 350kW-capable cars at once, simultaneously, so the peak load for both hits that speed simultaneously, I’d be surprised.