Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great article. However, the text implies that both CHAdeMO and CCS deliver the full 350kW power. However, the rating label for the dispenser clearly says the CHAdeMO is limited to 62.5kW (500V 125A). This is not at all surprising since cable and connector solutions rated higher than this are just starting to be commercialized. When 200A cables are available, it should be easy to upgrade to 100kW. Then later, when cooled CHAdeMO cables are available, a further upgrade to 350kW should be possible. However, it depends on whether ABB designed the system to eventually support two cooled cables or just one. It is probably supported because Electrify America is installing dispensers with two CCS cables.

DSC06099.jpg

From Plugshare:

I notice the Veefils are RACV branded!

upload_2018-10-25_13-13-28.png

image.png

Also there was a press release from the Vic Government today:

Victoria Charging Ahead With Electric Vehicles

The Labor Government is continuing the rollout with $2 million to support charging stations in Melbourne, Ballarat, Horsham, Torquay and Traralgon, boosting tourism opportunities for these regions.

For anyone who was looking for exact town names...

It seems they are mirroring what Tesla has already done!

Which makes sense! Audi, Jaguar etc. are supporting this network and they can't use superchargers, but are going to want to travel the same routes.

It would've been nice if they staggered locations - e.g. used Seymour, Wangaratta, etc. on the Hume route - but for various reasons they chose not to. I guess it's for the same reason as you always see McDonalds and Hungry Jacks at the same intersections!

Which makes sense! Audi, Jaguar etc. are supporting this network and they can't use superchargers, but are going to want to travel the same routes.

It would've been nice if they staggered locations - e.g. used Seymour, Wangaratta, etc. on the Hume route - but for various reasons they chose not to. I guess it's for the same reason as you always see McDonalds and Hungry Jacks at the same intersections!

Staggered would have been nice if the Model 3 is getting CCS.

Yes, this is the problem with EVs on long distance trips though. Yes, it only takes 40-60 minutes to charge whilst you rest and eat. However, unlike a fossil car, you are forced to eat and rest at the same locations all the time. In an ICE car, you can fuel up in about 5-10 minutes tops, then eat and stop wherever you like. I know we are just starting this EV rollout, but even If there was a DC fast charger in every town, I can't eat at that particular nice café 8 minutes drive out of town (or stop for a picnic at that little mountain lookout) unless I sit in the car for 40-60 minutes somewhere else before hand.

I love EV's but its pointless to pretend that this is not somewhat of an issue that is not easy to solve. EV's truly have the everyday usage stitched up, its BETTER than the ICE car (provided you can charge at home), but not on road trips unless you are just happy to eat anything.

Yes, this is the problem with EVs on long distance trips though. Yes, it only takes 40-60 minutes to charge whilst you rest and eat. However, unlike a fossil car, you are forced to eat and rest at the same locations all the time. In an ICE car, you can fuel up in about 5-10 minutes tops, then eat and stop wherever you like. I know we are just starting this EV rollout, but even If there was a DC fast charger in every town, I can't eat at that particular nice café 8 minutes drive out of town (or stop for a picnic at that little mountain lookout) unless I sit in the car for 40-60 minutes somewhere else before hand.

I love EV's but its pointless to pretend that this is not somewhat of an issue that is not easy to solve. EV's truly have the everyday usage stitched up, its BETTER than the ICE car (provided you can charge at home), but not on road trips unless you are just happy to eat anything.
Try a drive through California and experience the future.

Reactions: Mark E and baillies

Is the food in country Victoria that bad these days?

Yes, it only takes 40-60 minutes to charge whilst you rest and eat. However, unlike a fossil car, you are forced to eat and rest at the same locations all the time.

Much less of an issue in a model 3 because km/h charge rate is considerably higher due to the efficiency. You can have a shorter DC charge while you use an amenity then move on to your cafe of choice. In no time at all we'll see level 2 AC charging appearing at these smaller business to attract custom as well.

It's definitely a valid concern but it's also pretty easily addressed with cars in volume.

Wish they get a fast charger near somewhere 12 apostles as there is none

Torquay is also planned... soon after the Euroa one was opened, there was this announcement:

Victoria Charging Ahead With Electric Vehicles

The Labor Government is continuing the rollout with $2 million to support charging stations in Melbourne, Ballarat, Horsham, Torquay and Traralgon, boosting tourism opportunities for these regions.

Chargefox is talking about all 21 stations being done by the end of 2019, which will be impressive if they can more or less match Tesla's coverage by then!

News on the Barnawartha location:

Barnawartha electric vehicle charging station, ‘the fastest type in Australia’, going live soon (paywalled)

The second electric vehicle charging station in a national network has been built by a Melbourne-based company at the Barnawartha BP, with the facility expected to go live this month. Chargefox has raised $15 million, including $1 million from the Victorian government, to build stations across the country that can each deliver more than 300 kilometres of range to electric cars in 15 minutes, “the fastest of any charger currently available in Australia”. The first of 22 sites, at Euroa, went live at the end of last year, and a solar-powered station at Barnawartha is undergoing final testing. There are four charging points, two with the power output of 150kW, and two capable of 350kW. Chargefox chief executive Marty Andrews said the network would “join the dots on intercity travel”. Related: “The Barnawartha site is on that Melbourne to Sydney leg, which is the most travelled long-distance route for cars in the country,” he said. “It made a lot of sense to start in Victoria and we’ve had incredible support from the state government. “There’s lots of lower-power stations – we manage several hundred across the country, with local councils or shopping centres – and we’re working closely with the NRMA. “The main difference with these stations is the power. “There’s only a handful of sites in the world that have stations as powerful as this.” The NRMA also has plans to establish a charging station at the Gallipoli Victoria Cross Rest Area in Holbrook. Mr Andrews said there was “a chicken and egg” situation in that the electric vehicle market in Australia was yet to take off, but there was also not yet adequate infrastructure. “The country needs national-level infrastructure to stimulate the uptake of electric vehicles,” he said. “It will be great to see the network evolve as cars come out – there’s a real opportunity to buy as prices are coming down all the time. “Charging stations are great for tourism as well. “It becomes an obvious stop for people with electric cars, and that means they stop at the cafes and restaurants.”

Attachments

• r0_0_4928_3280_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    r0_0_4928_3280_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Zoltrix77
I've totally been forgetting this thread, but Barnawartha North went live last week:

(Pic from Mark T.)
upload_2019-4-12_21-17-15.png

Chargefox have been busy on social media over the last week, and today announced their next two stations are Brisbane and Torquay!

(I'm amused at the second one seeing as Tesla has been unable to secure a location here for 2+ years)

Brisbane might be hard to track down, but if anyone is going through Torquay anytime soon...

upload_2019-4-12_21-25-8.png

Reactions: baillies
I may have spoken too soon as the app shows lots of chargers online. Maybe it’s only their rapid chargers that are coming soon. BTW very poor form for a Company to not have ipad (landscape mode) support in their app come on and rotate for an iPad - sheesh

CD87ECD3-7F68-485F-8FDC-707BFF48FD6C.jpeg

Attachments

• DD54A232-346C-4007-A658-4C1A528BE6C9.jpeg
    DD54A232-346C-4007-A658-4C1A528BE6C9.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 38