Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland 50kw CCS??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd suggest he's fobbing you off :) On the live map only the two at Conic Hill are showing as unavailable (the car park is closed at moment) and one set of 7kw at Loch Lomond Shores which haven't worked since last year.

I'll pass by the CCS at Balloch next week if it's not still crap weather and see if it's working if you want.

This would be very handy to know as we are travelling upto Scotland next week and staying on Loch Lomond - the hotel doesnt offer any charging facilities so was relying on the rapid chargers in Balloch!!

Last edited:
I’d get it a few weeks before your due to travel as you need to renew it each year. Haven’t got my car yet but the card is mainly recommended as a lot of the remote chargers apparently have connectivity issues and can’t start from the app.

I ordered at end of July and it took just under 2 weeks to arrive :)

Thanks, getting my home charger installed tomorrow, and pick the car up from newbridge on the second, so will get one of these just in case.

Card took 2 weeks for me after I sent a nagging email. I don't think you should have vandalism problems in Kingussie. It's not 3rd world. If you are stuck there are chargers including Tesla Superchargers in Aviemore only 13 miles away.
LOL I know Kingussie is not the third world, I know it well, it was more a reference to the posts up thread speculating about widespread vandalism to chargers.

From my albeit limited experience, I can echo some of the comments above, particularly (a) the older rapid chargers show CCS as Unavailable, but as long as CHAdeMO is Available the CCS should be too (and conversely, given it is only possible to use one DC charging option at a time, the CCS won't be available if CHAdeMO is Charging), (b) the CCS does have a tendency to cut out after a few mins or so, but if that happens the Type 2 is more reliable albeit slower. Haven't personally seen any vandalised or ICEd, but have seen a couple that were blocked by unattended but fully charged cars.

One other thing - I had a couple of unplanned stops in public car parks (or more specifically public conveniences for the children) yesterday, and in both occasions (Brora and Wick) saw new almost ready ChargePlace Scotland chargers which aren't yet on the map, so that does suggest there could be a lot more on the way soon.

Is there a way to get the Chargeplace Scotland chargers to show on the map on a Model 3.i tried selecting the different charge icons on the map screen and although it shows some third party chargers, it doesn't seem to show the CPS ones. For example, the hub down the road from me in Falkirk has around 26 chargers and they don't show in the car.

Is there a way to get the Chargeplace Scotland chargers to show on the map on a Model 3.i tried selecting the different charge icons on the map screen and although it shows some third party chargers, it doesn't seem to show the CPS ones. For example, the hub down the road from me in Falkirk has around 26 chargers and they don't show in the car.
AFAIK it’s not possible. Zap-Map and Plugshare apps are your friend.

Reactions: Empato
I filtered the chargers to show slow chargers only and got this:

20200828_165258.jpg

This is the CPS site at Halbeath P&R, has a mix of 7kW and 50kW chargers. The site didn't show when filtered for medium speed chargers.

Reactions: Empato and Roy W.
Most of Scotland apparently - but specifically discussed the Loch Lomond area
I’m over the hill from Loch Lomond at Helensburgh. Brand spanking new chargers on the pier. I don’t know where the damaged ones are. I’ll pop by tomorrow and take a loo. I think if any are damaged it’s possible the Tarbet site might be but I won’t be going up there until next week

I've travelled quite a lot in Scotland since I got my M3 I agree that the CCS Chargers often show 'Unknown' but in my experience they almost always work. Seems like maybe a Comms / Status Issue on the App but the line you were fed about Vandalism is prime BS.

Reactions: Roy W.
So, 1 week into my trip, card has arrived at home (2 and a bit weeks after ordering). Experience so far has been good, Scotland is beautiful, chargers have generally been good. And all but one have been free!
Expect 30-40kw rather than 50 advertised (I did get 48/49 today in gairloch (paid)).
Card would make things so much easier, uig on Skye (no response by app or call And led to a panic), Arrochar, no signal, ages to activate charge (20mins plus). Basically, without the card you’re looking at atleast 10 minutes to start your charge.

So, 1 week into my trip, card has arrived at home (2 and a bit weeks after ordering). Experience so far has been good, Scotland is beautiful, chargers have generally been good. And all but one have been free!
Expect 30-40kw rather than 50 advertised (I did get 48/49 today in gairloch (paid)).
Card would make things so much easier, uig on Skye (no response by app or call And led to a panic), Arrochar, no signal, ages to activate charge (20mins plus). Basically, without the card you’re looking at atleast 10 minutes to start your charge.
Glad your enjoying Scotland!

What brand of charger wasn't free? AFAIK, all the chargers in Wester Ross provided by CPS are free to use. Some councils are now starting to charge for usage though.

Pretty sure we're presently on opposite sides of the country else I would happily of leant you my card.

I won’t bore you with a blow by blow account of our two weeks in Skye, but I thought it worth posting about my experiences with the CPS chargers.

My first stop was at the Glencoe Mountain Resort. Beautiful scenery, and a nice cafe (in a Portacabin after the fire last year). The charger started nicely, but after about three minutes it cut out, and I couldn’t restart it. I tried the emergency stop button, thinking that might reboot it, but still nothing. I tried ringing CPS, but gave up after 20 minutes in the queue!

6B4F7E1C-FEFB-49BC-9AD2-A354A48E7A17.jpeg

So off we went to Fort William to check out the new Superchargers. Another Model 3 was already on the CPS charger next door. So no charge here either.

We finally got a charge at the new CPS rapid at the old Skye Bridge Toll Office, arriving with 17%.

54AD5AED-038F-42B3-80B1-012618363AF6.jpeg

Today we had a drive to Portree, and I thought I’d see what state the charger was in. It has been out of action for weeks while they appear to be working on drainage. It’s currently the only CPS charger with a free car wash dip.

4E4ED244-633C-43AA-97F5-07E8B310E5C1.jpeg

On our way “home” we went to the new CPS rapid in Dunvegan car park. It started at 36kW at 13%, and once it had warmed up the battery it was pulling 49kW. We left at 95%.

42AD4103-4A53-405B-A2F2-37E5060EDF3F.jpeg