Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland - App or RFID card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just registered on the Chargeplace Scotland website, it appears I have to order an RFID card for £10? Is that still the case or will they send one FOC if I set up a DD?

Suspect an RFID card might be handy for areas with a poor mobile signal where the app may not work.

A very good deal considering the cards used to cost £20 every year! Quite a number of CPS charge points remain free or at very reasonable rate so probably worth buying a card for that extra reassurance.

The card is a lot easier and quicker to use than the app. I've also found the app to be flakey at times.
I ordered a card for a trip in the summer just before the supplier change. Unfortunately it didn’t arrive arrive in time and I found that the app worked less than half the time so I’d recommend a card.

The card eventually turned up but didn’t get transferred to the new supplier. I did manage to get my £20 back though and I’ll probably get another card for my next visit from the new supplier.

I ordered a card for a trip in the summer just before the supplier change. Unfortunately it didn’t arrive arrive in time and I found that the app worked less than half the time so I’d recommend a card.

The card eventually turned up but didn’t get transferred to the new supplier. I did manage to get my £20 back though and I’ll probably get another card for my next visit from the new supplier.
IIRC you ordered it while the old operator were in "couldn't give a sh*t" mode. Things are much improved.

I have a cps card seems to work well but it did all throw a wobbly around the time of their migration to the new company. I’ve never successfully started a charge with the app. Randomly they sent me two identical envelopes with two new cards. Tried both and neither worked I really could not be bothered holding on line for them and my old card works perfectly well anyway.

Been using Charge Place Scotland for nearly 2.5 years and the Card is definitely the easiest way to Start and Stop charge sessions especially as it's now cheaper / free. The App can be flaky at times and requires Mobile Reception. In hundreds of charge sessions I can only remember once when the Card failed but the App worked and I'm sure if I'd tried again the Card would have worked. If the Charger is Offline (Unknown Status in the App) then neither will work.

Been using Charge Place Scotland for nearly 2.5 years and the Card is definitely the easiest way to Start and Stop charge sessions especially as it's now cheaper / free. The App can be flaky at times and requires Mobile Reception. In hundreds of charge sessions I can only remember once when the Card failed but the App worked and I'm sure if I'd tried again the Card would have worked. If the Charger is Offline (Unknown Status in the App) then neither will work.
Strangely enough, on one (free) rapid charger site where it was showing as available but not starting when I phoned to see if they could start it remotely the operator suggested touching the charger with any contactless card. It did the trick of kickstarting it! As it was a free charge nothing went to my card.

• Informative
Reactions: browellm
I signed up a while back, way before I ordered the car actually but I was reluctant to add my bank details to my account and this worried me that I would be able to use the chargers. Anyway, I contacted support or customer services and they advised of a pay as you go type website, which seems fair enough.

Back on point, I also ordered a card but as I did not have my bank details added to my account, wasn't sure if I'd actually get one or not, but I did and obviously haven't been charged for it and used it for the first time yesterday as it happens, without any issues. I should add that the charger I used was showing as grey/unknown status on the mobile app.

I'd just add that while the app means you can see whether a charger is currently occupied, if the app can't tell you that then you likely won't be able to charge with the app when you arrive. However I believe you can still in such cases charge with the RFID card.

I'd just add that while the app means you can see whether a charger is currently occupied, if the app can't tell you that then you likely won't be able to charge with the app when you arrive. However I believe you can still in such cases charge with the RFID card.
I am not quite sure that I understand you properly.

The app will usually show if the charger is free or in use. Sometimes it shows the condition as “unknown” which in my experience usually means not working.

If you get to a charger that appears to be working but will not fire up using the app then it normally requires a telephone call to CPS for a remote reboot or start.

I have not bothered getting a RFID card over the last two years as the app has sufficed. When travelling to a CPS that I am not familiar with I find a zapmap check first to be beneficial

The app will usually show if the charger is free or in use. Sometimes it shows the condition as “unknown” which in my experience usually means not working.
I went to an "unknown" condition charger yesterday. It was clearly working as one car was actively charging and a second had just finished and kindly moved on for me. My card hasn't arrived yet, so I can't be certain, but I imagine the other two cars used RFID cards to charge, and I imagine that if my card had arrived I could have done likewise.

When I mentioned this on getting home, I was told that's why the app only gets 2 stars on the iOS app store - the cards are much more reliable.

If you get to a charger that appears to be working but will not fire up using the app then it normally requires a telephone call to CPS for a remote reboot or start.

Great suggestion - I sent them a message, and it's back online today. I should have scrolled down and found their phone number...

I have not bothered getting a RFID card over the last two years as the app has sufficed. When travelling to a CPS that I am not familiar with I find a zapmap check first to be beneficial

Ah, I have found zapmap to be a bit hit and miss. Don't you find the status in the CPS gives you what you need?

I went to an "unknown" condition charger yesterday. It was clearly working as one car was actively charging and a second had just finished and kindly moved on for me. My card hasn't arrived yet, so I can't be certain, but I imagine the other two cars used RFID cards to charge, and I imagine that if my card had arrived I could have done likewise.

When I mentioned this on getting home, I was told that's why the app only gets 2 stars on the iOS app store - the cards are much more reliable.
I mostly use the card because I find it a bit quicker to use but I've never noticed it to work when the app doesn't. The other two cars could have phoned up CPS to start the charge. They're very helpful.
Great suggestion - I sent them a message, and it's back online today. I should have scrolled down and found their phone number...
The phone number is usually printed on the charger too.
Ah, I have found zapmap to be a bit hit and miss. Don't you find the status in the CPS gives you what you need?
I find the status of limited value. If you're not near the charger then it may become occupied before you get there (or vice versa) If you're near the charger then it's a moot point. The only thing that is useful is if it shows unknown, then its a quick look on zap map to see if it's been faulty or used recently.

I fairly regularly have to ring them for two local chargers. They tell me that when it is unknown it is usually because it has dropped out of the network and so a remote reboot usually does it and it comes back online.

Zapmap as init6 suggests. Check to see if there any recent uses or long term useless.

Reactions: Aqueum and init6