Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePlace Scotland changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where does it mention the removal of the £20 charge?

That was in an email, hopefully reproduced below...

Following on from Transport Scotland’s public announcement regarding SWARCO being named as the preferred bidder to operate the ChargePlace Scotland network, we wanted to ensure that drivers are kept fully briefed on the matters that mean most to them.

From July 2021, SWARCO will take over from Charge Your Car (CYC) as the back-office operator. An exact date for the switchover will be publicly announced in due course. The change of CPS operator will bring a range of benefits, such as:

• No annual membership fee – the annual £20 membership fee will be removed for all drivers.
  • Improved customer experience – in addition to an enhanced website with live map and 24/7 customer hotline, the new service supports improved fault reporting and offers drivers more up-to-date information on the status of charge points. Drivers will also have password protected access to detailed account information.
  • Mobile ready – a new, improved CPS mobile app will be available for drivers to download.
  • Innovation – the contract includes scope to explore new and innovative enhancements to the CPS service, such as interoperability and new payment methods such as pay-as-you-go (PAYG) and contactless pay where enabled by hosts/owners.

Transport Scotland, CYC and SWARCO will work together to ensure a smooth transition. Until the switchover in July, CYC will continue to be the CPS operator and therefore the service will very much be run business as usual. All faults and enquiries should be directed through the usual CPS channels.

Please keep visiting the ChargePlace Scotland Website, Facebook and Twitter pages for further updates and an FAQ document which will be published over the next week or so and will hopefully answer any questions you may have.

That was in an email, hopefully reproduced below...

Following on from Transport Scotland’s public announcement regarding SWARCO being named as the preferred bidder to operate the ChargePlace Scotland network, we wanted to ensure that drivers are kept fully briefed on the matters that mean most to them.

From July 2021, SWARCO will take over from Charge Your Car (CYC) as the back-office operator. An exact date for the switchover will be publicly announced in due course. The change of CPS operator will bring a range of benefits, such as:

• No annual membership fee – the annual £20 membership fee will be removed for all drivers.
  • Improved customer experience – in addition to an enhanced website with live map and 24/7 customer hotline, the new service supports improved fault reporting and offers drivers more up-to-date information on the status of charge points. Drivers will also have password protected access to detailed account information.
  • Mobile ready – a new, improved CPS mobile app will be available for drivers to download.
  • Innovation – the contract includes scope to explore new and innovative enhancements to the CPS service, such as interoperability and new payment methods such as pay-as-you-go (PAYG) and contactless pay where enabled by hosts/owners.

Transport Scotland, CYC and SWARCO will work together to ensure a smooth transition. Until the switchover in July, CYC will continue to be the CPS operator and therefore the service will very much be run business as usual. All faults and enquiries should be directed through the usual CPS channels.

Please keep visiting the ChargePlace Scotland Website, Facebook and Twitter pages for further updates and an FAQ document which will be published over the next week or so and will hopefully answer any questions you may have.
Thanks. I will ask my wife if she has this as the card is hers. To be honest we still haven’t used a CPS charger since we got her car in July 2020. (Or my M3 in March 2021)

Was going to try one over the Easter break as we have one in our village.

I got the email yesterday also. Give and take really. The give is no annual fee. The take will be fewer free chargers I am sure, if any at all. I’m sure I read somewhere else that Argyll and Bute council are now charging for theirs. I think this model will spread, it’s inevitable really. Even last summer on my trip up the Borders and Loch Tay, most public chargers were free but a few were not. The balance will shift. Planning a trip up this summer, all being well, so will be interesting to see the difference.

I don't think additional charges are related to this change. Here's a thread from last years detailing new charges coming into play:

You are right of course that more Local Authorities will use this as a cash cow. Hopefully repairs will be quicker if they are losing income.

Aberdeen seem to have the right idea. I just stopped this morning at Wooler (I know that is England!) and there is a sign there saying 'From 1st April the charger costs 35p/kWh. I do think that councils should should charge for use but that is ridiculous. Problem is; I actually had enough charge to get home near Edinburgh so did not bother to charge. Had I been in my Nissan Leaf I would have had no option. So punative costs are not (usually) a problem for owners of high value / high range EVs, but a huge disincentive if you buy an older lower cost / lower range car. Totally counter productive if you are trying to save emissions!