Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland CYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I am heading up to Scotland quite soon I thought I would register with CYC and Chargeplace Scotland just to cover myself.
Has anyone signed up to these as for some reason just setting up payment details and card has been impossible as their site seems to be in a loop?.I called them 3 times and they are getting back Monday to resolve the issue hopefully.

They suggested Safari was the problem and that I download Firefox.......No difference.

I have an account with no ability to pay.

There are 2 cards available that do exactly the same.
I have a charge your car card. Www.chargeyourcar.org.uk

The other card is a chargeplace scotland card. Www.chargeplacescotland.org
The cards have a different design.

I have been at chargers where my cyc card wouldn’t work but the chargeplace Scotland card did.
Cyc also made a balls-up when I signed up which delayed me getting my card on time.
You can use the free App and don’t need a card but it make life easier for £20/ year.

Reactions: Alset2go
I pick up my car next week and signed up to the app alone the other day. I'm heading to Scotland straight away in the new car. I couldn't be certain I registered correctly but have my fingers crossed... Only being there for a couple of weeks I thought I'd go the app route.

Reactions: Alset2go
One thing someone mentioned previosuly is that the mobile app needs a mobile signal to work, some chargers (presumably in the sticks) aren't great for mobile signal so you may have issues.

I plan on doing a road trip when I collect my car in Endinburgh. I'd ordered a card and it came the next day!

Last edited:
When our car was delivered 18 months ago our house was still being built so we couldn't use our own charger.

I tried using the CYC app and it was very poor. So many times it would not activate a charger, it was not to do with them being in rural areas, often it was multi storey car parks or just their wireless signal did not work.

So I ordered the card which works much better, but don't see why it costs £20versus the app being free.

I found using public charging stations a nightmare. This was mainly in Edinburgh.

I would say there was a about a 1/4 chance that a station would be broken when you arrived. The other big problem is that they are often shoehorned into the corner of a car park somewhere and you cannot get a Tesla into the space. There is a council owned charger where the shape of the pavement prevents you getting a Tesla into it unless it is a holiday and there are no other cars in the vicinity. On top of this manny people seem to treat EV charging points as their own personal parking space and the spaces are often blocked by the same few cars.

Anyway we gave up and just started to drive to the supercharger at Edinburgh airport, this is a fantastic and painless experience.

Just in case anyone missed the recent emails, if you have a 'Charge Your Car' RFID card you will no longer be able to use this with 'ChargePlace Scotland' from July unless you consent to sharing your data between the new CPS operator (SWARCO eVolt) and CYC (bp pulse?).

This consent has to be provided by 23rd June 2021.

That's my understanding anyway, emails in quotes below:

Charge Your Car:

As you may already be aware, SWARCO eVolt (SWARCO) has been appointed to operate the ChargePlace Scotland (CPS) contract from July 2021, and both SWARCO and Charge Your Car (CYC) are committed to ensuring a smooth transition of back-office communications and support systems.

This transition is scheduled to take place and once complete, CYC members will be unable to access the CPS network via CYC RFID cards or the CYC smartphone app. However, any CYC RFID cards that have been reassigned to the CPS scheme will be compatible with CPS charge points.

As our records show that you live in Scotland, we understand you may currently be using charge points on the CPS network and wish to access these from July onwards. If you would like to request that your details be shared with SWARCO so they can contact you to provide access to the CPS scheme, please complete this form.

All data sharing requests must be submitted by 23rd June, as any CYC members wishing to access the CPS network after 23rd June will need to register as a CPS member following the system handover.

Please note, the Charge Your Car back office only allows for one scheme per member, therefore you may currently be registered as a Charge Your Car member. You can check which scheme you have been assigned to by logging in to your account, then selecting “Your Account” and “Contact Details”. You can also find your RFID access card number under “Your Account” by selecting “Access Cards”.

If you have further questions about this transition, the ChargePlace Scotland team has developed a webpage to answer existing questions that have been asked. You can view the FAQs webpage here.

Don’t forget to follow ChargePlace Scotland on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date with all the latest about this transition and the public charging network in Scotland.

Thanks for charging your car with us!
The Charge Your Car team

ChargePlace Scotland:

As you may be aware, SWARCO eVolt (SWARCO) has been appointed to operate the ChargePlace Scotland (CPS) contract from July 2021, and both SWARCO and Charge Your Car (CYC) are committed to ensuring a smooth transition of back-office communications and support systems.

As the CPS team prepares for this transition, we wanted to keep you informed of what to expect in the lead up to the migration of these systems.

While the CYC smartphone app will continue to work up until this time, CYC members will be unable to access the CPS network via CYC RFID cards or the CYC app after the migration is complete. However, any CYC RFID cards that have been reassigned to the CPS scheme will be compatible with CPS charge points.

Our records show that you are a member of the CPS scheme, therefore your account should be assigned to the CPS scheme. Please check which scheme you have been assigned to by logging in to your account, then selecting “Your Account” and “Contact Details”. You can also find your RFID access card number under “Your Account” by selecting “Access Cards”.

If you find that the account you log into is assigned to the CYC scheme, please click the link below to complete a form to request that your details be shared with SWARCO so they can contact you to provide access to the CPS scheme. To support this process, all data sharing requests must be submitted by 23rd June.

Access data sharing request form

The FAQs webpage we have developed regarding the transition to the new network operator has now been updated to include the details above. You can view the full webpage here.

Don’t forget to follow ChargePlace Scotland on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date with all the latest about this transition and the public charging network in Scotland.

Thanks for helping us to get Scotland driving electric!
The ChargePlace Scotland team

The other thing that's worth noting about the transition is that there will be some charger downtime during the weekend of the 26th/27th July, as they reboot chargers and add them to the new back-end system. According to the webinar on EVA Scotland, it'll be progressive, so if your charging session is interrupted, just plug in again.

I ordered a replacement charge card from the existing supplier weeks ago and am still waiting. If you're in the same boat, I'd suggest waiting until SWARCO eVolt take over. It would hard for the new contractor to be less organised...

The other thing that's worth noting about the transition is that there will be some charger downtime during the weekend of the 26th/27th July, as they reboot chargers and add them to the new back-end system. According to the webinar on EVA Scotland, it'll be progressive, so if your charging session is interrupted, just plug in again.

I ordered a replacement charge card from the existing supplier weeks ago and am still waiting. If you're in the same boat, I'd suggest waiting until SWARCO eVolt take over. It would hard for the new contractor to be less organised...

Oh dear ... lining up to be a complete shambles!

Nice to have had no communication from CYC about this myself; I know I'm not in Scotland but I do plan to visit this year and I would have been a bit surprised to find that my CYC card no longer operates CPS chargers!

I guess I'll have to register with CPS after the cutover to make sure I'm covered. Not particularly impressed with CYC, TBH.

Reactions: NewbieT
I've also had no communication from CYC or CPS, and I do live in Scotland. It's being handled very poorly by all parties. I've filled out the "Access data sharing request form", but received no confirmation that they've received it. I guess I'll wait.

I've also had no communication from CYC or CPS, and I do live in Scotland. It's being handled very poorly by all parties. I've filled out the "Access data sharing request form", but received no confirmation that they've received it. I guess I'll wait.
Yep, me too. I only got the email 2nd hand from a mate. Did the data sharing authorisation thing on the page they provide, which didnt confirm receipt of my request or even successful submission. I suspect amateurism, which doesn't bode well.

Haven't heard how the live testing of charger-to-new-back-office-system went, That will give some idea of the quality offered by SWARCO as the new incumbent. Here's hoping.