Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland CYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, me too. I only got the email 2nd hand from a mate. Did the data sharing authorisation thing on the page they provide, which didnt confirm receipt of my request or even successful submission. I suspect amateurism, which doesn't bode well.

When I submitted the page did then show some small text "submitted" but no other confirmation. I did receive a direct email. I also had received an email back in March with the following text:

"Following on from Transport Scotland’s public announcement regarding SWARCO being named as the preferred bidder to operate the ChargePlace Scotland network, we wanted to ensure that drivers are kept fully briefed on the matters that mean most to them.

From July 2021, SWARCO will take over from Charge Your Car (CYC) as the back-office operator. An exact date for the switchover will be publicly announced in due course. The change of CPS operator will bring a range of benefits, such as:

• No annual membership fee – the annual £20 membership fee will be removed for all drivers.
  • Improved customer experience – in addition to an enhanced website with live map and 24/7 customer hotline, the new service supports improved fault reporting and offers drivers more up-to-date information on the status of charge points. Drivers will also have password protected access to detailed account information.
  • Mobile ready – a new, improved CPS mobile app will be available for drivers to download.
  • Innovation – the contract includes scope to explore new and innovative enhancements to the CPS service, such as interoperability and new payment methods such as pay-as-you-go (PAYG) and contactless pay where enabled by hosts/owners.

Transport Scotland, CYC and SWARCO will work together to ensure a smooth transition. Until the switchover in July, CYC will continue to be the CPS operator and therefore the service will very much be run business as usual. All faults and enquiries should be directed through the usual CPS channels.

Please keep visiting the ChargePlace Scotland Website, Facebook and Twitter pages for further updates and an FAQ document which will be published over the next week or so and will hopefully answer any questions you may have."

Reactions: Roy W.
That's the weird thing, I got that email, but not the one about info sharing. I did Tweet CPS about that, no reply. Still time to establish confidence, and I believe SWARCO have a good reputation where they provide services elsewhere.

Superchargers might just get busy for a few days over the changeover period though.

That's the weird thing, I got that email, but not the one about info sharing. I did Tweet CPS about that, no reply. Still time to establish confidence, and I believe SWARCO have a good reputation where they provide services elsewhere.

Superchargers might just get busy for a few days over the changeover period though.

Maybe they are staggering the email dates to reduce the numbers logging on simultaneously ... or perhaps that would be too sensible ... ;)

The other thing that's worth noting about the transition is that there will be some charger downtime during the weekend of the 26th/27th July, as they reboot chargers and add them to the new back-end system. According to the webinar on EVA Scotland, it'll be progressive, so if your charging session is interrupted, just plug in again.

I ordered a replacement charge card from the existing supplier weeks ago and am still waiting. If you're in the same boat, I'd suggest waiting until SWARCO eVolt take over. It would hard for the new contractor to be less organised...
I’m planning a little trip up to Scotland at the end of the month and ordered a card as a backup. Still no sign of it.

I was looking to use one of the chargers on the morning of the 26th for a top up before heading further North on an overnight stop. Looks like I‘d be better using it on the evening of the 25th, if the card ever turns up. I’m not relying on it though, I should enough juice to get me to the next Supercharger.

Do you think it's worth the £20 to order a card now or wait until the handover?
The following is taken from Chargeplace Scotland News

Will there be any cost for new members joining the network from July?
There will be no cost for new members wishing to join the network from July. However, a fee of £10 will apply for any new or existing member who wishes to purchase an RFID card.

I have been trying to join CPS for the past few days as we will be holidaying in Scotland from 10 Jul. No success, I keep getting the:

HTTP Status 403 - Expected CSRF token not found. Has your session expired?

message. I have tried 3 different browsers on my desktop and even tried from my phone. They either don't want the English to join or CYC have stopped support already.

To all with cards expiring in July... I got an email from CYC today reminding me my card was due to expire on 16th July and would not auto-renew as I had switched the option off... Being cynical I wonder if even after the network transfers they would still try and charge me the renewal if I had auto-renew enabled - might be worth checking for anyone that has it enabled.

I also cancelled the Direct Debit they have set up as I will have no reason whatsoever to use CYC once CPS moves to the new provider.

To all with cards expiring in July... I got an email from CYC today reminding me my card was due to expire on 16th July and would not auto-renew as I had switched the option off... Being cynical I wonder if even after the network transfers they would still try and charge me the renewal if I had auto-renew enabled - might be worth checking for anyone that has it enabled.

I also cancelled the Direct Debit they have set up as I will have no reason whatsoever to use CYC once CPS moves to the new provider.

There's no cost to auto renew... apparently ...

I have been trying to join CPS for the past few days as we will be holidaying in Scotland from 10 Jul. No success, I keep getting the:

HTTP Status 403 - Expected CSRF token not found. Has your session expired?

message. I have tried 3 different browsers on my desktop and even tried from my phone. They either don't want the English to join or CYC have stopped support already.
The website is (as expected) in shambles. To sign up go to their website and select sign in, then select sign up. You should end up at this address https://secure.chargeplacescotland.org/weblink-signup which should work.

Reactions: Bluebell
Last edited:
I’m getting the 403 error when I try to sign in to my CYC account to retrieve the card number I need to transfer my details to the new folk. We charged at Jedburgh today. Again, the card no longer works (not sure what I paid my £20 for…) but the app was ‘appy. Got a steady 43kW charge rate.

I’m getting the 403 error when I try to sign in to my CYC account to retrieve the card number I need to transfer my details to the new folk. We charged at Jedburgh today. Again, the card no longer works (not sure what I paid my £20 for…) but the app was ‘appy. Got a steady 43kW charge rate.
The card number is marked on reverse of the card (!). I did the same as you, and had the same problem. You'd think the email would hwve suggested users get the number from the card, rather than asking them to log on to retrieve it. Ho hum.

Reactions: Roy W.
Thank you everyone for this information. I tried to provide my details/consent and received the following text when i submitted the form:

Thank you for giving your consent for Charge Your Car (CYC) to share the personal information provided in this from with SWARCO.

CYC will send you an email to confirm when your details have been shared with SWARCO after 23rd June, once all member data has been processed.

I’m planning a little trip up to Scotland at the end of the month and ordered a card as a backup. Still no sign of it.

I was looking to use one of the chargers on the morning of the 26th for a top up before heading further North on an overnight stop. Looks like I‘d be better using it on the evening of the 25th, if the card ever turns up. I’m not relying on it though, I should enough juice to get me to the next Supercharger.
It took them a little while to send my card as well. I had to call them a few times as the system has not set my account up properly. Might be worth giving them a call to chase up.

Reactions: Stuart1714