TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ChargePoint 3.3 kW Charger Question

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Tocunvt, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Tocunvt

Tocunvt Member

Anyone have any experience charging a Model 3 at the subject line? There’s 2 of these next door to my buiding and I’m curious about the mph charge rate (Google results are all over the map).

If anyone’s curious - the charge is $1/hr for the first 3 hours, then $2.75/hr after that.

2. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

3.3kW is equivalent to ~220V 15A, so a 6-20 (220V, 16A). Shouldn't be much different. So, roughly 15mi/hr charging. Insanely overpriced unless you're desperate for a charge.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s onky 3.3kW? That would only be about 15A at 208V. If so, you’ll get about 12 miles/hr. Not worth it, especially after 3 hours, unless you can’t charge at home.

4. TexasEV

But it’s not going to be 220V at a commercial location. It will be 208V service, and more realistically closer to 200V. So even worse than you think.

• Like x 1
  5. Tocunvt

Tocunvt Member

Yeah I thought it was low too, especially for a brand new station...but that’s what it says on PlugShare (3.3).

And I don’t have one at home...yet. Still fighting the HOA battle.

6. TexasEV

I see the CT4000 which usually has 30A output comes in a 16A output version also, for 20A circuits.
    ChargePoint— We’re overpriced, but we’re underpowered.

• Funny x 2
  7. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

We have chargepoints at work all connected to commercial 208V service. The single chargers deliver a pretty reliable 3.3kW, however, when you plug 2 vehicles into a dual charger I've seen the charge rate drop to as low as 2kW.

8. Tocunvt

Tocunvt Member

So would you agree with the (roughly) 10 mph charge rate?

9. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

That sounds about right.

10. ronin

ronin Member

Is that roughly equal to $0.30 per kWh?

The one at my work is $0.14 per hour and its a 6.6kW station. I'm assuming that's pretty cheap?

11. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

$0.14 is pretty typical. Commercial power rates vary from $.08 to $.15 in most places. My employer
    picked the average price we pay over a day $.10 and then chargepoint adds $.01 for maintenance and
    billing. At home I pay PG&E's exorbitant $.34. So I don't charge at home unless I really need to do that. I need to get solar soon.

12. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Yup, assuming you actually get the full 3.3kW that's approx. $0.30/kWh for the first three hours. That rate jumps to $0.83/kWh after 3 hours. Ouch!

If you actually only have to pay $0.14/hr for a full 6.6kW, that's probably a lot cheaper than charging at home. You're paying effectively $0.021/kWh. Pretty good if you ask me.

13. ronin

ronin Member

Yeah, I was shocked to see this at my work. Guess I know where I'll be charging mostly. :)