Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint 6.6kWh only reaching ~5.9kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's even more weird is that their home charger does support 32A. They also have a new model that supports 50A on a 70A breaker.

ChargePoint Home Flex | ChargePoint

Yeah, I don't understand it either. When I was looking for that ChargePoint datasheet as a reference, I kept getting hits for the home charger and saw all the references to 32A output.

As per that 50A model... that seems kinda stupid. You have to put in a 70A breaker and you waste the 7.5A from 62.5->70A. Why not have it output 56A? Or just cap the output at 48A?

Charging at a ChargePoint right now... figured I’d post some screenshots.

Station specs when you click on the map pin:
E254CCFF-1416-422F-AE54-1613F38FA137.png

station statistics:
E1D86241-26D6-4862-9E04-43AD474DC569.png

Car statistics:
7F881333-875F-4633-9B3C-8A36F7B14ABC.png

Seems to me like Chargepoint’s advertised rate is an average voltage they see on their charging stations (220). Also, the live stats on ChargePoint match the live stats on the car itself.

Charging at a ChargePoint right now... figured I’d post some screenshots.

Station specs when you click on the map pin:
View attachment 503971

station statistics:
View attachment 503973

Car statistics:
View attachment 503972

Seems to me like Chargepoint’s advertised rate is an average voltage they see on their charging stations (220). Also, the live stats on ChargePoint match the live stats on the car itself.

The 'average voltage' at their charging stations is definitely not 220V. Most commercial stations will be 208V.

Also, I can tell you the shared power station I use often reports as '3.3-6.6kW' for both ports. The 3.3kW corresponds exactly to 208V * 16A, which is what I get when someone else is at the charger at the same time as me. ChargePoint is just deliberately overstating the capacity of the '6.6kW' chargers.

Reactions: CrayZ1
I wonder why EV chargers has been based on multiples of 220V since the AVCON days. Even back in the 1990s 230V would have been a better value.

They're based on whatever the incoming power source is. For residential in the US, that's almost always 240 volts. For commercial properties including some apartment buildings, that's almost always 208 volts. ChargePoint and other providers usually don't specify what the voltage of a particular site is ... they just list an approximate power output, which in the example I provided above is more than the station's actual output.

They're based on whatever the incoming power source is. For residential in the US, that's almost always 240 volts. For commercial properties including some apartment buildings, that's almost always 208 volts. ChargePoint and other providers usually don't specify what the voltage of a particular site is ... they just list an approximate power output, which in the example I provided above is more than the station's actual output.
I am talking about the J1772 standard and chargers like the one in the Leaf, not ChargePoint which came later. They support higher voltages, but reduce the current when doing so.