TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Chargepoint and others

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Psych1, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Psych1

Psych1 New Member

Okay, So I just bought a used(new to me) 2016 S 90D. I am still waiting to get a home charger, but have been researching charging locations around town. There are multiple options in the Atlanta area including Chargepoint, EVGo, etc. How do owners choose companies to join? Also in Atlanta there are cobranded Chargepoint and Georgia Power Chargepoint, is there any benefit to signing up for this vs only Chargepoint? thanks in advance.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Get both ChargePoint and EVGo cards for when you travel. You never know when you might need them. But once you have your home NEMA 14-50 outlet or HPWC installed you won't need them in the Atlanta area, just perhaps when out of town on a route without convenient supercharging.

3. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I have used Chargepoint a few times when on trips, usually overnight in parking garages in urban areas. I still haven't paid the first cent other than parking lot fees.

4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Agree. I'm not a fan of EVgo's pricing policy, but I have their card just in case. Chargepoint is a must-have as they have quite a few free facilities at businesses, but the card is still used to activate.

You might want to post in the forum for your geographic area if you need specific local information.

5. Hybrid

Hybrid New Member

Congrats on the new car!

Agreed with above -- Signing up is pretty convenient and helpful in a pinch.

The co-branded GA Power Chargepoint stations work with a regular CP membership (either NFC card or mobile app). Extra NFC cards can be issued by CP for 5 bucks and linked to the same primary account.

That said, I signed up for both, as GA Power will send you their own branded NFC card for free and you can link it to your CP account. I gave the second card to my wife for when she drives our EV.

6. namlio

namlio Member

Sign up for any that you might have cause to use, but try to find the no cost upfront or ongoing charges, i.e. pay per use only. Blink and Evgo both have this option, or at least a minimal one time registration cost. Not sure about Chargepoint or others.

7. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Use ChargePoint huge network of stations. You can start a charge from the mobile app once you've created an account. Easy to use and find stations, pricing, etc.