Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint and PlugShare Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All with account established

1. Find SuperCharger

If not closed

2. Find DC Evgo Nrgy

If not closed

3. Find Chargepoint

If not closed

4. Find anything possible

The Evgo Nrg DC charger, the cool part is you can check if it is being used or not prior to getting there.

Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations | EVgo

On the way up to Palmdale, I think off the 14, there should be a few Evgo you can use.

How is the free charging at work going? My office is thinking of installing chargers and the debate of whether they will be free or cheap electricity. We can get cheaper units that don't have metering or the more expensive chargepoint units that have a lot of control of who can use them.

I am not who you asked, but I also use free charging stations at my work as my primary charging. My office uses ChargePoint and then limits who can access it to just employees. We have 4 stalls set-up across 2 buildings, but I think only 6-8 people are signed-up in total to use them right now. Maybe an average of 3 people use them in any given day.

I think it works great. They do ask to keep charging to a 3 hour maximum as a courtesy to not block stalls if others need it. However, I have never seen all 4 stalls full at the same time so there has never been any need to enforce it here.

In my 10 months charging at work I have used a little over $250 worth of electricity in all that time. Even if all 4 stalls were full for 9 hours each day, it would still only cost them ~$20 a day in electricity. Obviously some places have way more expensive electricity rates, but the point is the electricity cost is generally trivial for any company that isn't super small.

I don't see any reason to charge any fees as long as you can make it employee only and folks will be courteous about not hogging the chargers.

How is the free charging at work going? My office is thinking of installing chargers and the debate of whether they will be free or cheap electricity. We can get cheaper units that don't have metering or the more expensive chargepoint units that have a lot of control of who can use them.

Good question ... we originally had the cheaper GE units that did not have metering or any controls for about 6 months.
Very easy to use but we had issues with poaching by non-employees.

The more expensive ChargePoint units now provide access controls and lots of data including text messaging when your car is fully charged.
Well worth the additional cost for charging efficiency and security. :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: LuPapa
If someone disconnects me or I stop charging via the mobile app. Do i still continue to pay per hour at a chargepoint?

Most don't once you stop charging but some still continue to bill you for "Station Parking"!

Station Parking is a different fee from Parking Fee if it is not a free parking lot.

upload_2017-10-25_23-26-5.png

Most don't once you stop charging but some still continue to bill you for "Station Parking"!

Station Parking is a different fee from Parking Fee if it is not a free parking lot.

View attachment 256244

Most in my area charge by hour instead of by Kwh.

So I would assume I would still be billed if someone unplugged me or if I stopped charging with the app (but the car is still plugged in)....nobody uses these stations anyways...look at the rate!!

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.04.23 AM.png

30 of them at $2.50 per hour!

I suppose that you never travel beyond the range of your car's capabilities. when I travel and there isn't a tesla HWPC available wherever it is that I am stopping for the night I've used chargepoint units and they have worked well for me.
one size doesn't fit all.
My experience too. I have used Chargepoint many times, but always with the physical Chargepoint card. I have not yet had a problem. I have used them in FL, CA, OR, BC, OH and a few others that I do not remember. I'm sure they are far from perfect, especially the ones that are in multiple networks, even though they've worked for me.

They recently launch an update to the iOS where you can use Apple Watch or iPhone instead of using the Chargepoint physical card. Still need a charge point account though. But it work nicely.

As for the unlock, I've found it is a bit tricky. If you press on the button and pull, it seem lock. But if you wait 10 seconds after hearing the unlock sound, push the connector in and then press the button on the handle, it will work easier.

Most in my area charge by hour instead of by Kwh.

So I would assume I would still be billed if someone unplugged me or if I stopped charging with the app (but the car is still plugged in)....nobody uses these stations anyways...look at the rate!!

View attachment 256245

30 of them at $2.50 per hour!
I use a $1/hr station frequently. They charge for connect time whether actively charging or not, with a $1 min. Delayed charging? I'm charged for the connect time pre-charge. Charging finishes before I get back? I'm charged for connect time until replacing the handle in the station (they do send a text notification that the car is no longer pulling power and probably done charging).

If someone disconnects me and doesn't return the handle to the dock, I think I'm still charged. They could plug themselves in on my nickle, I suppose. I could either unplug them and return the handle, or stop the charging session by tapping my card (I think).

Outside of California (MidWest here) Plugshare is a lifesaver when your traveling all over multiple states and want to wake up with a full charge at your hotel etc.

Plugshare is my go to for this: opportunity charge any chance I get, if I stop for a 1-2 hour meeting in a smaller town for work or need to take a 30+ minute phone call/WebEx, ill look for a blink/ChargePoint/etc vendor via plugshare.

Outside of California (MidWest here) Plugshare is a lifesaver when your traveling all over multiple states and want to wake up with a full charge at your hotel etc.

Plugshare is my go to for this: opportunity charge any chance I get, if I stop for a 1-2 hour meeting in a smaller town for work or need to take a 30+ minute phone call/WebEx, ill look for a blink/ChargePoint/etc vendor via plugshare.
30 minutes might get you 10 miles of range, for me it isn't worth the bother to seek out a charger for that short of a time period unless I was in dire need of a charge.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Yup agree - sometimes those scheduled “30” minute calls become 90 minutes as well. Might as well take the free juice when you might not see a super charger for your next 200+ miles round trip in 30 degree weather for 2 days of Travel.

That said if I was living in an area with superchargers every 50 Miles in a normal 8-5 job and Home everynight id never need plugshare.