Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found an elegant way to use ChargePoint with a Tesla? ChargePoint has a locking door which offers some element of security. A thief would have to damage the locking door or cut the "Spare Connector's" cable to steal the cable.

However, ChargePoint's plug is set deep in a cave so you cannot plug the "Spare Connector" tip directly into the ChargePoint socket because of the "Spare Connector" tip's size and and shape. The prong pattern works OK, but the head of the "Spare Connector" tip is to fit directly into the socket.

Of course, one could use a short extension cord, but that would give no security for the "Spare Connector." I tried one small 3-way adapter, but it twisted the position so that the "Spare Connector" still could not be plugged in.

Has anyone found a small spacer or 3-way adapter that will allow the "Spare Connector" tip to be used under the door of the ChargePoint, or any other elegant solution? I would prefer not to have to carry a lock and chain to have some degree of security.

By the way, ChargePoint in my area only has 16 amps, but it is convenient to me and free for now.

A bunch of us don't have GFIs on the end of the mobile charger anymore. I can't recommend it, but if you only ever plug into outlets that are already GFI protected, there's no problem. Swapping out the GFI for a heavy-duty 20A capable plug takes all of 5 minutes. Search the threads for a longer discussion on this.