Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint CCS DCFC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging stations should work for all EV's. Makes no sense why anyone,especially a big box store would installed a limited station.

My friend that works there is going to send Fred Meyer a strongly worded email tomorrow LOL.

And now you know why some EVers find it unusual that some destination charger locations are Tesla only. The business eliminates probably 2/3 of the kind of clientele they are trying to attract. In many cases I believe it is because they are simply unaware of what formats and standards are out there. Which is why we bought a Tesla Wall charger to J1772 adapter. Obviously not a solution with DCFC and of course Telsa Super chargers are a different unrelated topic.

But yah. If I was Fred Myer I probably would have put in a combo station. This whole CCS Chademo situation is going to have to be sorted out sooner or later.

And now you know why some EVers find it unusual that some destination charger locations are Tesla only. The business eliminates probably 2/3 of the kind of clientele they are trying to attract. In many cases I believe it is because they are simply unaware of what formats and standards are out there. Which is why we bought a Tesla Wall charger to J1772 adapter. Obviously not a solution with DCFC and of course Telsa Super chargers are a different unrelated topic.

But yah. If I was Fred Myer I probably would have put in a combo station. This whole CCS Chademo situation is going to have to be sorted out sooner or later.

Yep, totally understand. To me it just doesn't make sense why they did not install a charge that can be used for all. My guess is that they just didn't know. The Fred Meyer every where else have J1772 chargers.

As much as I'd like to see a CCS adapter, 24kW isn't a very useful charger for a Tesla in most cases. That would only add about 70 miles of range for every hour plugged in. There are Superchargers not very far away from there that would add the same range in a much shorter time.

As much as I'd like to see a CCS adapter, 24kW isn't a very useful charger for a Tesla in most cases. That would only add about 70 miles of range for every hour plugged in. There are Superchargers not very far away from there that would add the same range in a much shorter time.

70 miles for my 75D would be very helpful and there are no other places around, that I could find that would charge that much. Not even in Corvallis which is where I would be heading.

Charging stations should work for all EV's. Makes no sense why anyone,especially a big box store would installed a limited station.

My friend that works there is going to send Fred Meyer a strongly worded email tomorrow LOL.
By that argument, you could object to businesses allowing Tesla to install superchargers in their parking lot. They don’t work for all EVs either. If you can’t charge there, go somewhere else. It’s not like there’s a lack of places to charge a Tesla in the Portland area.

Also you may be interested to know that the Pacific Northwest probably has the highest density of CHAdeMO stations in the country. You may find it useful to buy the adapter.

Last edited:
By that argument, you could object to businesses allowing Tesla to install superchargers in their parking lot. They don’t work for all EVs either. If you can’t charge there, go somewhere else. It’s not like there’s a lack of places to charge a Tesla in the Portland area.

Tesla SC is for Tesla. Tesla it's self installs chargers for it's own cars. When a business installs a combo station for EV charging it should be, it would be nice if it was for all EV's. But I get your point.

Last edited:
70 miles for my 75D would be very helpful and there are no other places around, that I could find that would charge that much. Not even in Corvallis which is where I would be heading.

A Chevron station a few miles down the road has a CHAdeMO station, due east from Corvallis: Tangent Chevron | Albany, OR | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

There is also one at the Dairy Queen in Monmouth: Dairy Queen | Monmouth, OR | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I don't know where you're coming from, but there are superchargers in both Eugene and Woodburn among many others in Oregon.
At least for us, hanging around for an hour to get 70 miles of range is something we'd have to be pretty desperate to do. Not to say that desperation isn't something that does occur, just not often one hopes.

More seriously, I am concerned that all these low power CCS and CHAdeMO chargers being installed will be mostly a form of greenwashing that results in really useful stations not being built.

Reactions: Rocky_H
IIRC the CCS is the current US standard for DC charging, not Chademo or Tesla SC. While I agree having three different DC options complicates things, we need to remember that Teslas are easier to charge everywhere than any other EV. Single 24KW CCS stations aren't that useful, even for the Bolt, but they are probably paid for by BMW or other CCS-compliant vehicle manufacturers. If those manufacturers had been as proactive as Nissan or Tesla, then there might be an adapter today. As it is, CCS will always lag behind Tesla, so I doubt an adapter will be sold by Tesla.

IIRC the CCS is the current US standard for DC charging, not Chademo or Tesla SC. While I agree having three different DC options complicates things, we need to remember that Teslas are easier to charge everywhere than any other EV. Single 24KW CCS stations aren't that useful, even for the Bolt, but they are probably paid for by BMW or other CCS-compliant vehicle manufacturers. If those manufacturers had been as proactive as Nissan or Tesla, then there might be an adapter today. As it is, CCS will always lag behind Tesla, so I doubt an adapter will be sold by Tesla.
There is no such thing as a "current US standard for DC charging". Standards are either by law or more commonly that everyone in an industry agrees to it. Neither is the case-- that's why we have cars sold with the Tesla connector, CHAdeMO, and CCS. There are more EVs in the US with Tesla connector than CHAdeMO and CCS combined. So maybe that's the "standard"?

I don't know where you're coming from, but there are superchargers in both Eugene and Woodburn among many others in Oregon.
At least for us, hanging around for an hour to get 70 miles of range is something we'd have to be pretty desperate to do. Not to say that desperation isn't something that does occur.

I am going from Portland to Corvallis. There is a SP charger in Woodburn that I can top off at when I leave but with the the 22" wheels, using the heater or A/C I will be down to less than 50% when I get there. Once there I cannot do any driving, or I have to leave my car parked at a level 2 charger, which is fine. I would not make it back to Woodburn.