Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint CCS DCFC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, SAE says so. I give up. It's not worth arguing.

The OP just wants to charge, and NA Teslas cannot do DC charging in US CCS. Maybe we can agree on that small point.
Well that point was never in dispute, but rather if Tesla supports CCS in Europe and whether CCS chargers in Europe support the charge mode that does not use the bottom pins. That has implications on how easy it would be for them to do a CCS adapter in the US.

Right. SAE DC Level 2 is what CCS has been supporting over the last several years at 125A EVgo stations etc. The new Level 3 standard is obviously very advanced since multiple DC charger makers have announced products imminently ready for sale. My understanding is that the CharIN association has internally voted to approve new standards that support at least 350A at 1000V but as of early this year there was still internal discussion about increasing that to 400A or higher. These new standards have apparently not made it through the various national and international standards committees yet so they may not have been “formally” approved (which might be a condition for sale in some markets).

As I understand it, DC Level 1 just requires the J1772 plug without the extra two DC-only pins added by CCS. In other words, like Tesla connectors, the basic J1772 power pins could be used for either AC or DC at up to 80A. In reality, I have never heard of anyone doing DC charging over just the regular J1772 plug. My guess is that few, if any, J1772 vehicles support Level 1 DC charging without the CCS pins.

I’m not aware of CharIN planning to imminently support 800A charging. I suspect you were thinking of 400A.
CharIN has formally described up to 100oV as a goal:
http://www.charinev.org/fileadmin/Downloads/Papers_and_Regulations/CharIN_industry_statement.pdf
absolutely NOT imminent. As previously stated cooling and connection stability are two huge impediments and others exist too, but are less daunting.
Porsche discusses 800V as a goal for Mission E
I'm sure it will happen eventually, no time soon.

CharIN specifications discuss J1772 as part of NA compatibility with AC level 2, for backwards compatibility. I have read nothing suggesting anybody ever has done DC charging through J1772. Mennekes 2, a different story there are cars equipped to do DC without the frankenplug, European Teslas

Well that point was never in dispute, but rather if Tesla supports CCS in Europe and whether CCS chargers in Europe support the charge mode that does not use the bottom pins. That has implications on how easy it would be for them to do a CCS adapter in the US.
As you probably know CharIN does not currently permit adapters for CCS Combo DC. The backwards compatibility does allow the non-Frankenplug to be used for AC. I have no idea how many CCS points will support all specified functions.

CharIN has formally described up to 100oV as a goal:
http://www.charinev.org/fileadmin/Downloads/Papers_and_Regulations/CharIN_industry_statement.pdf
absolutely NOT imminent. As previously stated cooling and connection stability are two huge impediments and others exist too, but are less daunting.
Porsche discusses 800V as a goal for Mission E
I'm sure it will happen eventually, no time soon.
ABB and ChargePoint have already publicly announced product specs that charge at up to 920V and 1000V respectively. They have been doing compatibility tests on prototype gear for at least a year. ABB has one of their prototype units installed at a supermarket in Fremont, California for private use. ChargePoint has been testing inside a building near their headquarters in Campbell, California.

I’m pretty sure that means it will absolutely be imminent.

https://library.e.abb.com/public/a12139675ed74ac18b910d2ec7d02840/4EVC700601-LFUS_TerraHP_UL_web.pdf

https://www.chargepoint.com/files/datasheets/ds-expressplus.pdf