Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint charger not sending power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I live in an apartment complex and lately I have been having alot of issues with the chargepoint chargers. I have the chargepoint flex at my parking spot where i am the only one that can use it.

The issue that i am having this charger is that after i plug the charger in, i don't get power dispense to the tesla. The chargepoint app says not charging and the tesla says no power.

Randomly, the charge point charger will work SOMETIMES and other time, I will not see any power going.

Does anyone have this issue with chargepoint? If so, what were your fixes?

I live in an apartment complex and lately I have been having alot of issues with the chargepoint chargers. I have the chargepoint flex at my parking spot where i am the only one that can use it.

The issue that i am having this charger is that after i plug the charger in, i don't get power dispense to the tesla. The chargepoint app says not charging and the tesla says no power.

Randomly, the charge point charger will work SOMETIMES and other time, I will not see any power going.

Does anyone have this issue with chargepoint? If so, what were your fixes?
Some of the ChargePoint EVSEs are bad/go bad. We have dozens of https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/ct4000 at my work. Many of them have needed repairs for no charge situations, affecting more than just Teslas.

That said, is the car awake when you plug in? We definitely had the regression described at Official Tesla Model 3 thread - Page 316 - My Nissan Leaf Forum affecting the Model 3. I don't know if it's fixed yet. So, if I plug in someone's Model 3 or Y, for good measure, I also tug a door handle before or after to wake the car since I don't have their phone as key.

Back then, people would get sessions properly started but the car wouldn't charge. I go to my work's parking garage and tug on the door handle and it'd start.

I have no idea if this regression eventually got fixed or not since I have no Tesla.

@cwerdna thanks for the info. Both of my Teslas are awake when plugged in. I think it is bad charge point hardware. In the past 10 months charge point has replaced the charger or parts of the charger 3 times. Overall I have zero confidence that when I want to charge I will be able to. Very disappointed in charge point. One other note the company that owns the building I am in owns many other buildings and has installed charge point in a few of them with nothing but headaches and hassles for the property manager with constant network or charger failure.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
The CT4000 L2 EVSEs at my work were fine for the few couple years but eventually, many of them developed problems and needed repairs.

If you try charging a Bolt using one of those that doesn't work right, there will be an error on the car's LCD (sorry, don't recall the message). On a Leaf, you'll hear beep-beep-beep, pause, beep-beep-beep, pattern repeats w/all 3 of the Leaf's blue lights flashing in unison w/the beeps. That indicates an error and can be repro'd (for giggles) on a Leaf if you plug into a properly working J1772 EVSE but hold down the J1772 trigger, to prevent charging.

Other cars on those non-working EVSEs just fail to charge and their error indications (if any) vary depending on the model of car.

Without any sort of EVSE tester, about all you can do is try multiple EVs/PHEVs that are known to charge properly over J1772 L2, preferrably from different automakers. If most/all can't charge on that ChargePoint EVSE, likely something's wrong w/the EVSE. Fortunately for us at my work, we have so many (and most work), it's not too hard to plug into another pedestal/handle to confirm.

Last edited:
Bad Adapter?

I replaced my J1772 - Tesla adapter, the one I got with the car seven years ago now. And my flakey charging at ChargePoint stations was resolved.

Before, I had the same intermittent problems as other mentioned on this thread. And they seemed to be getting worse month by month. After replacement, things work again.

The skinny center connector socket, above the two fat connector sockets, looks discolored on the old adapter compared to the new one.

I've read of others having this problem. If anybody from ChargePoint or Tesla is on here, let me know and I'll send you the old adapter so you can do electrical detective work on it, and maybe resolve these issues.

Kinda like the keys to open Mercedes cars' gas tanks don't work only in Exxon stations. Not a good look. For either vendor.

Kind of reminds me of when the plugs on Blink EVSEs didn't work well with RAV4EV charging ports. If you tried to use them at 30a, they had a tendency to melt each other. Blink "fixed" the problem by remotely downgrading their EVSEs to 16a max. I fixed it at my house by changing the plug and cable assembly, then configuring the unit back to 30a.

I have CP chargers at work. At one point I was able to charge, but now no longer. I tried another CP charger in a different location. Same problem. When I plug in the CP terminal, M3 screen and Tesla app, show everything is working, except no power flows. After about 10 minutes it shuts off. Tesla support looked at the errors and thinks it might be a precondition issue or screen (?) issue. I have an appointment at Tesla in September. Yesterday, for unrelated issues, had to do a soft reset… holding down the two steering wheel buttons. I will try again and see if that makes any difference. Frustrating 😊

Maybe check button on the chargepoint handle. I've seen a few that the button is stuck down or someone broke the latch. You need to lift it up so the button is not pressed. Otherwise the car doesn't charge.

I've run into this outside multiple times. It's actually nice because sometimes I get a free charger in a public space (everyone thinks it doesn't work) and I just make it work for me.