Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint charging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged my model 3 at a charge point charging station. The 1st day everything went good. 2 days later the Charge Point station would not charge my model 3. it kept saying waiting for ev vehicle. called Charge Point and they said that because I had to use the manual release to remove the adaptor that I had to have the manual release latch adjusted. I went to a.
Tesla supercharger and everything went great. Anybody had similar problems and what did you do to correct it?

Although my experience with third party fee-charging stations is limited, I have been unsuccessful charging at them about half the time. Usually the stations just won't start charging, and give little diagnostic help.

Having done two cross country trips in my Model 3, I've visited dozens of Supercharger stations, and only experience a couple "non-working" stations, and then I was able to simply move to the next station at the location and charge with no problem.

I charge at all other level 2 stations every once in a while since used to have a Nissan Leaf and a Volts way back so I kept those accounts open, the adapter has to snap right into the handle meaning the latch has to be forced down over the notch and down... only then it will work. Same with a level 3 Charger.

The only time I had a problem charging at a Chargepoint station was with a station located in an underground garage. I think it had to do with a problem with either the Tesla or my Tesla app not getting a good internet signal. Was the station you had problems with located outside or in an underground parking structure? Could this have been a factor?

Tesla

I was puzzled recently when I tried to connect my Tesla model 3 to a third-party level 3 CHAdeMO charger. The adapter I had received with the car fit on the charger perfectly and I was able to plug it into my car. The charger and car did the “handshake“ with the flashing blue light but the charger gave an error message “waiting for EV”. After extensive online searches on this issue I found out that 1) the model 3 cannot except level 3 charging from third-party chargers, and 2) that while the J1772 adapter I was using fit perfectly on the CHAdeMO charger, it requires a special $400 adapter to be able to use any third-party level 3 chargers. Level 2 works fine, but not level 3.

Hum. I bought a CHAdeMO charger a few years ago in anticipation of traveling to Nova Scotia. (Haven't gone yet.) I keep it in the trunk well...just in case. I did try it out once at an EVgo facility. While it was somewhat cumbersome, it did make the handshake and charged successfully. That's all the experience I have with my Level 3 CHAdeMo adapter. Maybe give yours a try at another charging station. I'd be interested to know what you learn. Good luck.

I had the same happen until I realized the app counted each bay as a station. Make sure your enable NF (near field) on
the phone and touch the phone to the assigned place to activate charge because just identifying the station from the
app may activate the other bay instead of yours. Sometimes same complex has multiple garages with ChargePoints like
Easton Columbus, zoom the map if not sure to identify yours if needed.

I was puzzled recently when I tried to connect my Tesla model 3 to a third-party level 3 CHAdeMO charger. The adapter I had received with the car fit on the charger perfectly and I was able to plug it into my car. The charger and car did the “handshake“ with the flashing blue light but the charger gave an error message “waiting for EV”. After extensive online searches on this issue I found out that 1) the model 3 cannot except level 3 charging from third-party chargers, and 2) that while the J1772 adapter I was using fit perfectly on the CHAdeMO charger, it requires a special $400 adapter to be able to use any third-party level 3 chargers. Level 2 works fine, but not level 3.
I think you're laboring under some mistaken impressions about different types of charging. In the hopes of clarifying....

Every new Tesla ships with a J1772 adapter, as pictured here:
1067348-00-A_0_2000.jpg

This J1772 adapter is a Level 2 (note: 2, not 3) adapter. It's used to connect J1772 Level 2 plugs to your Tesla. These are not DC fast chargers. Most public Level 2 equipment charges at about 6 kW, although some can go a bit slower or faster than that.

I've never tried it, but it's possible that you could connect the J1772 adapter to a CCS1 plug, which looks like this:
605c308283ba6.jpg

I suspect you connected a CCS1 (not a CHAdeMO) plug to the J1772 adapter that came with your car. If so, it wouldn't work, because DC current flows through those two big pins on the bottom of the CCS1 plug, and those remain disconnected. I imagine you'd get some sort of charging error message on the car and/or the charging station, but I don't know precisely what that error message would read.

CHAdeMO is an entirely different beast. It's used mostly by Nissan Leafs, although a few other Japanese and Korean compliance cars have used it, too. A CHAdeMO plug looks something like this:
chademo-connector.jpg

There's no way that a CHAdeMO plug will fit into the J1772 adapter that Tesla includes with the car. Thus, I don't think you were using CHAdeMO; however, it's possible you got your hands on Tesla's CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter:
CHAdeMO-Tesla-usa-003-500x500.png

Tesla is no longer selling this adapter in North America, although the last I heard it was still available in South Korea and Japan, and you might be able to get one as a "grey market" import or on the used market (eBay, etc.). If you have one of these, then it should work with most CHAdeMO DC fast chargers; however, some people do have problems with some specific stations, or of course a specific adapter might be broken. This adapter will charge at a maximum of 50 kW. This is far slower than most Superchargers, but it's fast enough to be useful in some circumstances. When Tesla was still selling them in the US, the price was $400; but now that they're no longer available directly from Tesla, there's been price gouging on eBay, so prices are significantly higher.

In addition to the CHAdeMO adapter, there are numerous CCS1 adapters. There are multiple threads here on this forum discussing these adapters. This thread, in particular, exists to describe what's currently available. Most of these adapters are simple pass-through devices, similar to Tesla's J1772 adapter, but they're designed to pass through the CCS1 high-voltage DC pins. As such, they require that the car understand the CCS protocol, which not all Teslas do. Most Teslas sold in the past two years or so do understand CCS, but older ones don't, and the necessary chip is missing from a few cars made relatively recently, too, because of supply-chain problems. There are several manufacturers, so appearances differ, but one common design (which is Tesla's, but has been copied by at least one Chinese manufacturer) looks like this:
4_f758449a-4048-412a-89a2-9c2f28064231.jpg

These CCS1 adapters sell for $250 to $500. Tesla does not currently include them with the car in any market, AFAIK. Most people who've tried them report that they're pretty reliable, with the caveat that the car itself must support CCS charging; however, some CCS DC fast chargers are unreliable. Anecdotal reports suggest increasing problems in the past few months, particularly at Electrify America, because of supply-chain problems slowing repairs of broken equipment. When they do work, they can charge at up to 200 kW (theoretical maximum; in practice a few kW less than that) on "350 kW" CCS1 stations, and at lower rates on less-speedy hardware.

As I've said, my suspicion is that you tried to use your J1772 adapter to connect to a CCS1 plug, which simply will not work. Use one of those CCS1-to-Tesla adapters instead and it will work if your car has CCS support. (There's also one CCS1-to-Tesla adapter, made by Setec, that works even without this in-car support, but only at a maximum of 50 kW and with various other caveats. I don't recommend buying one of these at this time.)

I think you're laboring under some mistaken impressions about different types of charging. In the hopes of clarifying....
I suspect you connected a CCS1 (not a CHAdeMO) plug to the J1772 adapter that came with your car. If so, it wouldn't work,...
In addition to the CHAdeMO adapter, there are numerous CCS1 adapters...

Excellent post.

OK, here is another question (which I feel dumb asking):

Can a Level 2 (AC) cable (with the standard J1772 plug, say from a public charging station) properly and safely attach to (the top portion of) one of the new CCS1 adapters (either Tesla or third-party) and thereby charge the car (using AC power only)?

In other words, can the CCS1 adapter (intended for DC fast charging) also be used to Level 2 charge a Tesla. Or, said a third way, can the CCS1 adapter altogether replace the need for a J1772 adapter?

I feel like I should know the answer to this already. But I have just never thought to try to attach a J1772 cable onto my Tesla CCS1 adapter. (Maybe I will try that later today at a free public charging station I normally use.)

As we know, the top socket of a CCS1 adapter looks like a J1772 socket. Will the internal wiring be right for AC Level 2 charging? And will the CCS1 adapter physically accept the J1772 plug (with its security hook device)? And can the CCS1 adapter simply ignore its two big lower DC pins and act just like a simple J1772 adapter?

To reiterate, does a driver with a CCS1 adapter also need to own a J1772 adapter? (The J1772 adapter is much smaller and would remain more convenient for AC Level 2 charging, I suppose.)

If you already know, please pass that information along. Otherwise, I'll try to find out later today.

Attachments

• Lectron J1772 Adapter.jpg
    Lectron J1772 Adapter.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 89
  • CCS1 Aadapter.jpg
    CCS1 Aadapter.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 27
Can a Level 2 (AC) cable (with the standard J1772 plug, say from a public charging station) properly and safely attach to (the top portion of) one of the new CCS1 adapters (either Tesla or third-party) and thereby charge the car (using AC power only)?
I gave a longer answer here; but the short answer is "no," or at least "not as far as I know." For safety reasons, AFAIK all the CCS1-to-Tesla adapters omit the AC lines. If they didn't, then the DC lines on the adapter (which would then be exposed for any curious kid to touch) would carry ~240v of current when doing Level 2 charging. I can't rule out the possibility that some irresponsible/incompetent manufacturer has shipped such a product, but I hope that's not the case. In theory, a design could include active electronics to separate the two lines when charging was occurring, but AFAIK none of them do that.

I gave a longer answer here; but the short answer is "no," or at least "not as far as I know." For safety reasons, AFAIK all the CCS1-to-Tesla adapters omit the AC lines. If they didn't, then the DC lines on the adapter (which would then be exposed for any curious kid to touch) would carry ~240v of current when doing Level 2 charging. I can't rule out the possibility that some irresponsible/incompetent manufacturer has shipped such a product, but I hope that's not the case. In theory, a design could include active electronics to separate the two lines when charging was occurring, but AFAIK none of them do that.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I was pretty sure that I had seen previous posts about this issue (whether a CCS1 adapter could serve as a J1772 adapter) a while back buried somewhere in a discussion of CCS1 adapters. But late last night(!) I could not remember the answer to the debate nor could I find any of those posts on TMC or by Googling for some reason.

I will still confirm today whether my local J1772 cable plug can comfortably fit into my Tesla CCS1 adapter. But now we know thanks to your posts and these helpful photos (by @DoubleDD) that neither the Tesla or Hansshow adapters can act as a J1772 adapter and that neither of those adapters can possibly carry a Level 2 AC charge into the car. (I.e., we still need both types of adapters--CCS1 and J1772.)

This therefore calls into question the (increasingly suspicious and perhaps even disingenuous?) implication on the Hansshow website that their NEMA 14-50-to-J1772 mobile connector + CCS1 adapter are all you need to Level 2 charge a Tesla (Model 3 or Y).

Hansshow 32a Mobile Connector.jpg

Thanks to the answer you have provided, that implication (whether accidentally coincidental, intended but innocent, or outright devious) is not true. To use a Hansshow J1772 mobile connector on a Tesla TMC posters (you, @srs5694, and @DoubleDD) have demonstrated that a driver would still need a J1772-to-Tesla adapter. The CCS1 adapter would, in that case, be an (expensive) extra and of no use for Level 2 AC charging.

(And yes, I realize that I am providing free advertising to Hansshow. It's unavoidable.)

...I will still confirm today whether my local J1772 cable plug can comfortably fit into my Tesla CCS1 adapter...

To summarize, the question was whether a CCS1 adapter could be used in place of a simple J1772 adapter in order to allow Level 2 AC charging.

The answer, provided by @DoubleDD and @srs5694, is NO.

To followup up, I confirmed that to be true today at my local free Level 2 public charging station.
  • ChargePoint 240-volt, 32-amp Level 2 wall connector with J1772 connection plug.

• Now the J1772 (♂) plug did fit comfortably and safely into the upper (circular ♀) socket of my Tesla CCS1 adapter. There is even a little "cave" (my name for it) at the top of the CCS1 adapter that accepts the J1772 plug trigger-lock hook. (One might therefore be forgiven for initially assuming that a CCS1 adapter might substitute as a(n overweight) J1772 adapter, and allow AC Level 2 charging.)

• And when the adapter, with J1772 cable attached, was inserted into the car's charge point, the charge port light (encircling the Model X port) and the car's driver's display screen at first indicated that charging had started. Okayyyyy...

• But charging quickly halted (and in fact never really got going).
Why? We know from @srs5694's explanation and @DoubleDD's photos, and now my own personal observations, that the CCS1 adapter lacks key connection pins necessary to AC charge using a Level 2 J1772 cable-plug, and will in fact not work for AC charging.

Case closed.

Last edited: