Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint difficulties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received our X last Thursday and I am still getting used to charging. So we live in an apt building that has a ChargePoint charger and I have attempted to use it with little success. I have used the adaptor but when the charger is plugged into the vehicle it remains orange. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a compatibility issue.

According to the manual, a solid amber (or orange) light means the cord connector is not fully seated in the charge port. Try reinserting the connector.

Also try changing up the order in which you connect the Chargepoint connector to Tesla's adapter and then to the cars port. I think I've read that some folks have found that it matters.

My apologies if none of this works. I've yet to actually use a J1772 charger yet myself. Will get to today though!

When I got my X a number of time the charger was pushed in far enough. I found that you have to give it a significant push to get it seated correctly. I've gotten into the habit of putting in the charger normally, then making sure it's aligned perfectly straight, then giving it one final hard push.

I've had a similar issue once or twice. Removing the charger and reinserting it seemed to work for me. I always put the adapter on first, then insert it into the charge port. Not sure if that's what everyone else does or if that makes a difference.

Also an issue is that J1772 chargers are made by a wide variety of manufacturers. Schneider, in particular, seems to have Tesla seating problems. I have used many ChargePoint locations and have only had problems with two Schneider chargers. Both of those were fixed by the owners within a day or so of being reported. The problem in both cases was a pin slightly too short. This does not seem to be the OP's problem. Very often it takes a clear push to fully seat a J1772 on both sides, including in the Tesla port. I also carry spray electrical cleaner because many public charges seem to get dirty and need a good cleaning in order to seat properly. I have and that one in Superchargers and CHAdeMO also, usually when they were near construction sites.

• Helpful
Reactions: FarmerDave
I've used the J1772 a number of times. The most important thing, as mentioned upThread, is to make sure both connections are FIRMLY seated. I've had to fiddle with them a couple of times but have always gotten them to work.

I read a PlugShare comment from a Tesla owner about a nearby ChargePoint station having this issue. So I checked it out and I believe I found the reason.

Some of ChargePoint J1772 connectors use a heavier or stiffer sealing gasket inside the recepticle than others. Like it has been mentioned it takes a bit of effort to get Tesla adapter to latch to the J1772. Just make sure the Tesla adapter latches to the J1772 and then plug into car.

The first chance I get I'll stop at that problematic station and get some pictures of that sealing gasket.