Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint - Do you have an account?

Do you have a ChargePoint account?

• Yes - App Only

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Yes - Card Only

Votes: 41 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The does Tesla MS community also have ChargePoint accounts? I mean there arent many superchargers near me - but there are some ChargePoint stations...

But the primary reason I ask, is on my trip to Toronto - the supercharger station is nearly 50 miles from where I will be staying - but they seem to have ChargePoint at nearly every other block!

thoughts???

While I do not have my Tesla yet... I do not see any reason NOT to have a card if there are ChargePoints near you. From what I can tell (from a quick scan of their site, not personal knowledge) there is no charge unless you actually use the card, and it does provide a little insurance just in case you need it someday.

I also do not see any reason TO have a card if you don't need it based on your travel habits.

I have one. It's free. Why not?

I've used it a bunch of times at my old job (they had a chargepoint in the parking lot). Also on vacation. Otherwise... can't think of any place else I used it, but I don't see a reason NOT to do it.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Used it daily when charging at work (was free for 4hrs/day). Retired now, and haven't used it since, but will definitely keep it for trips and such. Cheap insurance, and their charging stations tend to be among the ones that work (vs Blink, which was aptly named...).

I've used mine every month for the past 3.5 years. I drive 170 mi to Boston and there's a free Chargepoint station in the parking lot. Plugging in for the 10 hours I'm at work saves me from having to stop at a supercharger on the way home. I've used elsewhere before the supercharging network got built out to where it is now but not in the past 2 years.

I've used mine every month for the past 3.5 years. I drive 170 mi to Boston and there's a free Chargepoint station in the parking lot. Plugging in for the 10 hours I'm at work saves me from having to stop at a supercharger on the way home. I've used elsewhere before the supercharging network got built out to where it is now but not in the past 2 years.
Yeah i just want to get it for a backup purpose - and just incase those moments are there when i am travelling -- i dont see myself using it daily.

On road trips I have found it useful to have access to as many as possible... Doesn't make sense for me to have any that require a monthly payment, but CharePoint, Blink, EvGo, there's several networks and I have accounts with all of them and have used them at various places. The main thing is that if you CAN plug in whenever you park, you're using your time most efficiently. So for example when I am out of town, even if there's a super charger nearby, if I'm out to dinner with friends I check to see if there's a convenient charger nearby so that I can park there while we're out. That way I can avoid, or reduce the time spent at the super charger before returning home.

Doing a little planning, while often not necessary, can save you time later, and often there's some sort of charger near town centers all over the country. That being said, my experience has been that they are much less reliable than the super chargers. I've gone to numerous other chargers that were broken, offline, or unable to charge for some reason, so be careful relying on them. And of course, they're painfully slow compared to a supercharger. :)

Reactions: JohnQ
I've used it out of state more often than not. In Washington DC, many parking garages have public charging. I've activated them with the app on my phone and paid through the app. Was a seamless experience. Some of the stations are free, but you need the card or the app to wirelessly activate it. I have a keychain card but I usually keep it on another set of keys that I never seem to have with me. Using the app is more elegant as it shows you more info on the chargers, allows you to unlock them, if they're in use, how much you've charged since, and how much it's costing you to charge.

We signed up as soon as we brought the 70D home but have never used it.
That's me too. I had read about them, so I got accounts and cards with Blink and with Chargepoint, and I have never used either one in two and half years of having my Tesla. There just always seem to be better options, mainly because any 14-50 outlet that you can find on Plugshare is faster than a public charging station. It also probably figures into it that I live and travel around Idaho, Utah, Oregon, and Nevada, so it's not usually big dense cities that I'm in. RV parks are more common than Chargepoint stations.

I have chargepoint and blink stations at the office, so I have apps/cards. (I suggest both as stations may be in garages with limited app connectivity) But even without office access, why would I pass on a no cost option as a back up plan? Other than leaving a credit card on file (and a deposit if an active user), its purely pay as you play.

@Gig103 according to my account, the reload is a fixed amount triggered by actual charges incurred. If an active user, it targets either a $25 balance or the 3 month average usage. My building provides free access to chargepoint and blink, so I haven't experienced actual dollar charges.

I have chargepoint and blink stations at the office, so I have apps/cards. (I suggest both as stations may be in garages with limited app connectivity) But even without office access, why would I pass on a no cost option as a back up plan? Other than leaving a credit card on file (and a deposit if an active user), its purely pay as you play.

@Gig103 according to my account, the reload is a fixed amount triggered by actual charges incurred. If an active user, it targets either a $25 balance or the 3 month average usage. My building provides free access to chargepoint and blink, so I haven't experienced actual dollar charges.

Thanks @NikeWings. I read that about the reload amount becoming the lesser of $25 or 3 month usage. Can you or anyone else find verbage about the $$ when it initiates the reload? Like, can I tell it not to reload until I hit $1 left, then charge me $24? Or is it going to keep topping me off when I hit $10-$15?

Thanks @NikeWings. I read that about the reload amount becoming the lesser of $25 or 3 month usage. Can you or anyone else find verbage about the $$ when it initiates the reload? Like, can I tell it not to reload until I hit $1 left, then charge me $24? Or is it going to keep topping me off when I hit $10-$15?

There is no ability in my account settings to set a personal trigger. You can try dropping a note and ask them to define "low" which is the only reference to a trigger that I see. It seems to be usage determined, so they must have some flexibility. [email protected]

"When your account runs low, we will automatically charge your credit card $25 or the amount equivalent to three month's average use so your ChargePoint account always maintains a balance."

My account is obviously low (like zero) and I've never been charged the $25 balance. Good luck.