TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chargepoint help! What is the fastest charging option?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by TheAustin, Jan 22, 2013.

1. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

I will be driving into NYC this Saturday in my Model S for the first time, and parking/charging at a Chargepoint location, also for the first time. I have the Chargepoint App, and I've registered online with them and received my account cards. I'm all set there.

However, I don't know which option to charge with...The Chargepoint App says they have the following:
    208/240V, 30A, J1772, 120V, 16A, NEMA 5-20R

I know I have a 120V adapter and a J1772 adapter with my travel charger. Which is the most preferable/fastest charging option? Are there adapters to any of those other choices that would be better? FYI, I have the 85KwH battery, with the twin chargers.

Thanks, sorry for being clueless about this :)

2. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

J1772.

The 120V is a last resort plug that can only pull a few mile per hour of charge (it is the plug that goes in a standard wall outlet). The J1772 should be able to pull the max charge that the chargepoint can output.

3. AndyM

AndyM Member

#3 AndyM, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    All you need for Chargepoint is your J adapter.

J1772 is the world standard for EV charging, although its not the fastest. It provides 208 to 240V charging, and usually 30A. Although the spec allows for up to 80A, most installations went cheap on the conductors and are rated for only 30A. (Who besides Tesla's can even charge at more than 30A?)

Level 1 are the 120V, 16A (if you're lucky!), NEMA 5-20 outlets... like you have in your homes. Very slow.
    Level 2 are the 240V, higher-Amp services. Most common, and to fill a Tesla range, still slow.
    Level 3 are DC quick chargers. CHAdeMO is all over the place in the Northwest, but proprietary to Nissan and Mitsubishi and others who pay for the license. Tesla's Superchargers are also DC quick charging, but an even smaller proprietary spec. Tesla recently announced CHAdeMO adapters will be available for the Japanese market, but I'm not holding my breath for the US market any time soon. Superchargers will arrive first. (andy's opinion!)

In the US, you will see J1772 all over the place. The vast majority are 30A. We've been asking and suggesting to sites like PlugShare to include the amount of current available at each station to be a data field in their records. No luck yet. :)

You can also charge at campgrounds; many provide 40A NEMA 14-50 outlets, like Tesla has asked you install at home. A little faster than 30A J1772, and these may be your only choice when farther away from more urban areas. You need your UMC and the 14-50 adapter on it - like you probably have at home.

A Tesla Model S owner should carry a J1772 adapter in the car at all times, and when away from home by anything more than half the rated range, carry your UMC with you.

reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I thnk you are bringing it but bring your UMC (cable that came with car to charge) with your NEMA 14-50 adapter as that is good for RV parks if you are running low on your trip.

5. TheAustin

Thanks for the feedback...I was a little thrown off with all of the options listed at the Chargepoint location. I'm sure it'll be fine once I'm there. Do I need to set anything in my car once I plug in with the J1772 adapter, or does the charging location and/or my car automatically regulate the power flow? Also, how many miles of range/hour can I expect to get on a J1772? Thanks again :)

6. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

No, you don't need anything else.

You shouldn't need to regulate power flow. The car will take maximum available unless you set it to lower.

On a chargepoint charger, I usually get about 27-30 miles (rated) per hour.

7. napabill

napabill Active Member

My first couple of times with the J1772 adapter were a bit of a struggle in removing the plug (with adapter still attached) from Tess. There is a fairly precise timing issue of when you stop charging and when Tess releases the plug. Apparently it unlocks for a brief second or two then relocks. Any specific Tesla oriented instructions would be appreciated.

8. TheAustin

Oh, that's going to be more than enough. Thanks again!

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

On the 208V 30A J1772 chargers you are getting up to 30 rated miles of range an hour? That seems more than on a 240V 40A at home where I see a little over 30 ideal miles an hour. I'm asking because I haven't taken the Model S to a ChargePoint charger yet. Those numbers would be great.

10. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

If you haven't used your J1772 adapter before it would be prudent to test it out on a local charger before embarking on a long trip. Some folks have gotten bad adapters. Its good to go through the routine of plugging in, charging, stop charging and unplugging. If you can't disconnect the adapter from your charging port, even after charging has stopped, make sure to explicitely select "CHARGE PORT" from the car's display to release the port.

As for miles range/hour, I've only charged on public chargers twice and at 30 amp my rate was never much more than 20 mph. At home on my NEMA 14-50 at 40 amps the rate is usually 28 mph. The rate will depend on the actual voltage delivered to the charger. If the source to the charger is a three-phase transformer the nominal voltage will be 208 volts. At home in residential neighborhoods the transformers are usually single-phase for a nominal 240 volts. So the added capacity and higher voltage at home can mean the charging rates are frequently higher than 30 amp public chargers.

Larry

11. William13

William13 Member

I agree with Larry, check your adaptor near your house before your big trip. You will need to practice removing the adaptor from the car receptacle. You pull it out while attached to the charge point. Then you pull the adaptor out of the J1772.

I still have trouble with it.

12. napabill

napabill Active Member

13. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

You cannot get 28-30 mph from a Chargepoint. I get 18-20mph rated on a chargepoint (as opposed to 29-31 rated on my home 14-50).

14. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

The Austin - Make sure you have your chargepoint card with you. I keep mine in the car. Here are the steps:
    1. From the Model S touchscreen, open the charge port.
    2. Have the J-1772 adapter ready.
    3. Swipe your Chargepoint card in front of the charger to begin the session.
    4. Connect the J-1772 adapter to the charging cable.
    5. Connect the charging cable to the Model S.
    6. Make sure Model S is charging.
    TO END THE SESSION
    7. Swipe your Chargepoint card in front of the charger to end the session.
    8. From Model S, select Charge Port - stop charging, open charge port.
    9. Carefully remove charging cable, making sure Model S is letting go - Do Not Force Remove.
    10. Take your adapter!

If you don't swipe your Chargepoint card to Stop charging, you'll get text and/or email message from Chargepoint saying you screwed up.
    Chargepoint (30A) will give you about 18 miles range per hour charging.
    If you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet at home, you'll get about 28 miles range per hour charging.
    Enjoy!

15. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Ungh... now I'm unsure... I haven't done chargepoint in a while... Sorry, I might be wrong here.

16. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

Chargepoint (30A) will give you about 18 miles range per hour charging.

17. TheAustin

Thank you all so much. And DavidM, your checklist is brilliant, I've cut and pasted it into the notes App on my phone, and I'll let you know how it goes, assuming I still end up driving in...We have a chance of snow in the forecast for the NYC area on Friday/Saturday, and my car has the 21" wheels/tires on...So, I'm not so sure I want to be barreling down the Long Island Expressway on summer 21's in a snowstorm, if you catch my drift ;) On the other hand, I've been pretty impressed with how they have handled the snow, ice, and arctic temperatures that we've had this week (I'm going to post a more comprehensive observation on that a little later).

18. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

Not all chargepoint locations produce the same amperage.

19. Treker56

Treker56 Member

Guys so how do these public charge stations work with respect to when a car has finished charging? If I plug in and check into a hotel and am spending the next day sightseeing in NY on foot, will the car remain plugged in? Will I be charged only for the hours to top off or the entire 48 hours (parking I can understand). And isn't this unfair to other prospective EV charges whom might be looking for a spot? Most garages only have 1 or 2 EV charging spots.

Thoughts?

20. TheAustin

Thanks! I just called and spoke to Andy, so I'm all set :)

FYI, just so you all understand what's what, CarCharging owns/operates/maintains various physical charging locations around the NY/NJ/Tri-state area...They have purchased and installed ChargePoint equipment, so you can access them with your ChargePoint account. But it's nice to know that you can contact the people that actually operate the charging station/locations as well...So if you're in the NY/NJ area (or planning to be), I would recommend checking out and bookmarking the CarCharging website too.