Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint Home and M3 scheduled charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone,

I’ve had a chargepoint home charger and my M3 since mid July and everything has been going fine, however about 1-2 weeks ago I’ve started having issues.

My chargepoint Home is connected to WiFi and looks up charge times from my electric company. Based on this it charges starting at 11pm to get the cheapest rate. I have the scheduling disabled in my Tesla.

This was all working great but now I find that the car never starts charging at 11pm.

I played around with it this morning and found that even if I tried to override the charging and say “charge now” when I wake up it doesn’t start, until i open the M3 front door.

It’s almost like the car now goes to sleep and therefore won’t start charging when the home charger tries to start it up hours after it’s been plugged in.

I’m not sure if this is a bug in the chargepoint home, a but in the latest M3 software, or a HW problem.

Anyone else seeing this issue ?

(Note, tonight I will disable the scheduling on chargepoint and try using the scheduling on the M3, however this isn’t a great long term answer since the M3 has only a single charge schedule and not one per day)

Same issue - chargepoint (hardwired) won’t start charging according to schedule set if the M3 is in deep sleep.
If it out of deep sleep a few minutes prior to the schedule start it works fine, but it won’t wake up when charging is set to start and won’t charge.

I've experienced this issue also since I got the V9 update. I had set my Chargepoint charger to turn on at 4am each day to warm my battery up before head to work at 7am. Now my Model 3 doesn't accept any charge until I connect to it with the Tesla phone app. This wakes the car up. I can then open the Charepoint app and manually start the charging.
I was surprised that doing a model 3 Wake up didn't start the charging automatically even though the charepoint charger was will and setup to send electricity to the car.
Does anyone have any idea what can be done to fix this? Any work around's?

Note: I do all my charging at my work place for free, so I really only want to do charging at home to warm the battery and the car before I head to the office.

I've experienced this issue also since I got the V9 update. I had set my Chargepoint charger to turn on at 4am each day to warm my battery up before head to work at 7am. Now my Model 3 doesn't accept any charge until I connect to it with the Tesla phone app. This wakes the car up. I can then open the Charepoint app and manually start the charging.
I was surprised that doing a model 3 Wake up didn't start the charging automatically even though the charepoint charger was will and setup to send electricity to the car.
Does anyone have any idea what can be done to fix this? Any work around's?

Note: I do all my charging at my work place for free, so I really only want to do charging at home to warm the battery and the car before I head to the office.
I would try this:
Set the ChargePoint to charge anytime.
Set the car's timer to start charging at ~1hr before you want to leave.
15-30 minutes before you want to leave, open the Tesla app and start the climate control.

I just started seeing this problem with my new Model 3 (never had any problem with my Chargepoint home charger with the Model X). Are there any updates on this problem?

I don't know about the ChargePoint units, but JuiceBox EVSEs (and some other brands with the JuiceNet board installed) have the same problem. There's a thread about them here:

eMotorwerks JuiceBox Smart Charging and Model 3 Incompatibility Update

The cause is that when the Tesla goes to sleep, it no longer recognizes the change in charge availability from the EVSE. If the car is awake when the EVSE changes state, it works fine. I don't know that the cause is the same for the ChargePoint and JuiceBox/JuiceNet EVSEs, but I suspect it is. In theory, the EVSE could be programmed to wake up the car via Tesla's API, but AFAIK no EVSE provides this type of support. Absent that, you could do it manually, or put together code to do it and activate the EVSE from another computer, but that's getting into Rube Goldberg territory.

It seems that some versions of JuiceNet work around the issue by providing a very low level of power to the car until the scheduled charge time arrives. This keeps the car awake, but it could partially defeat the purpose, since you'd still be using power at times when you'd prefer not to, and in its awake state, the car will lose power at an accelerated rate (similar to having Sentry Mode active). IMHO, it's probably better to just use the car's built-in scheduling, imperfect as that is; or use charge scheduling from a third-party app. (I vaguely recall hearing that there's at least one app that provides improved charge scheduling options, but I don't recall the details.)

• Informative
Reactions: Fossil Fool