Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint Home Flex Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex installed at my house in my garage. I will be charging my soon to arrive Model 3 on my driveway overnight (time of day charging rates are lower) with the overhead garage door closed and the charging cable under the overhead door. After a couple of test runs doing this setup, the cable does appear to get pinched slightly by the overhead door while in the closed position.

Will this setup work for me long term? Any known issues/problems with the cable being pinched?

I do not want to leave the garage door opened overnight nor do I want to keep the door slightly open (not closed all the way) due to possible critters/pests entering the garage. I also do not want to have the cable pass through the exterior brick of the house (cutting/drilling into the brick).

Thanks for any advise, input, suggestions!

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Whenever I get my HPWC connected inside the garage (it's been in the box for the last 4 years), I plan to charge my car in the driveway. My garage is currently being used as overflow storage. My thought was to grind a channel in the concrete so that the thick cable can pass underneath the door when it's fully closed. That way there's no entry point for small critters. When I'm not charging, I would put something in the channel like high-density foam to maintain the seal. I would NOT want to pinch any electrical cable with the garage door, especially one that could being delivering 240VAC @30+ amps.

I've been closing my garage door on my chargepoint cable for almost 3 years now. Your garage door shouldn't be pushing down that hard on the cable. I can slide mine with a little resistance when it's closed even. There is an adjustment for down distance and pressure.

You should also have a rubber seal on the bottom of the door that will provide at least some protection

I think most older garage door openers will have a mechanical switch to limit (stop) the door when closing. Switch can be on the track above (screw or chain drive) or on the rails that the door is guided on. Newer systems could use optical sensors. In either method, there should be some way to adjust those sensors so that the door stops slightly before contacting the ground.

I have a ChargePoint Home Flex that is mounted to the exterior of my house and then I run the charging cord to my detached garage. Since I only charge my car every 3-4 days inside of my garage, I just put a small broomstick handle next to where the cord enters the garage and then I close the garage door. The garage door closes on top of the broomstick handle, the charging cord doesn't get pinched (I can still move it slightly), and the bottom seal of my garage door still extends far enough down to prevent anything from entering.

Reactions: Rocky_H