Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint Home Flex

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I do. No it doesn't fit. I have a hook next to the charger and just hang the whole thing there. Also, it's definitely more troublesome when you try to unplug it from the car since you can't just push a button on the handle to unlock it. What I do is I release the Chargepoint charger from the adapter while it's still hooked to the car. After it's detached, the car will unlock the adapter then you can take it off and plug it back to the Chargepoint charger. I then hang it on the hook. You can always unlock it with your phone, or if you have a key fob you can hold the trunk button for a couple second to unlock it also.

Thanks.

hmm. So to unlock it with your phone, is that just unlocking the charge point and you will be able to take the whole thing out?
No, using your Tesla app.

Screenshot_20200612-172156~2.png

There is a more handy technique for this so that you don't have to mess around with any touch screens in the car or on a phone. You are already putting your hand on the J1772 handle. When you are pressing and HOLDing the release button, it keeps that unlock signal going into the car, and it will KEEP the port unlatched. Then, use your other hand to grab the adapter, and pull them both out together, as one piece.

It's hard to explain in words, so here is a video of the technique.

There is a more handy technique for this so that you don't have to mess around with any touch screens in the car or on a phone. You are already putting your hand on the J1772 handle. When you are pressing and HOLDing the release button, it keeps that unlock signal going into the car, and it will KEEP the port unlatched. Then, use your other hand to grab the adapter, and pull them both out together, as one piece.

It's hard to explain in words, so here is a video of the technique.

Pull them both out together? That's not what you did.

• Informative
Reactions: LasVegas2019
Pull them both out together? That's not what you did.
LOL That's not me in the video. It's just a video from Youtube. However, you're right that I discovered later in another thread that when I went searching for the video I meant to find, I accidentally got the wrong one here, without watching through to make sure it was the right one, and this ain't it. I watched the first few seconds, and thought I recognized it, but got it wrong.

So, yeah, sorry for confusing that, as I described one thing, but then accidentally linked a video showing something totally different. Here is the video I meant to put in there:

I know this is an old thread but I just got my Home flex and I was wondering if it's better to have a schedule on the charger or on the MY?
Well, "better" is not just one thing. Better for what purposes?
If you have a pretty simple electric rate schedule that only has like one extended cheap overnight rate or only one higher peak time, then the car scheduling is super reliable. You can just set it to start charging at 11PM or midnight or whenever your cheap rates start, and it does it, and it's simple.

But some people have needs to tweak scheduling into some complicated setups with multiple times a day, or only have it start charging at this point, but force it to stop a few hours later, no exceptions. Or they need to have start times different on weekdays versus weekends. The car's scheduling is too simple for that. So people sometimes need the more detailed software in the external charging unit to start and stop at various times. But there have been a couple of troubles where the car goes to sleep, and when the Home Flex unit turns on power again, the car doesn't always sense that and wake up and start charging. I don't know if that has been improved or solved now, though, with some car updates.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
I know this is an old thread but I just got my Home flex and I was wondering if it's better to have a schedule on the charger or on the MY?
Try both, see which one work best for your needs. The Tesla Scheduled Charging option has to be set from inside the Tesla vehicle. You can set Tesla's Scheduled Charging option to either start as soon as the assumed off peak charging window starts or to always complete charging by the end of the charging window. You don't have the option of setting a different charging schedule for weekdays and weekend charging. You can set a separate schedule for weekdays and weekends for Scheduled Departure. (Scheduled Departure is also set under the Charging screen from inside the Tesla vehicle. Scheduled Departure will precondition the Tesla vehicle starting about 20 to 30 minutes before your departure time. This will warm the battery pack as needed in cold temperatures, turn on the seat heaters and warm the passenger cabin. You can use Scheduled Departure even if you don't plug in the Tesla vehicle or don't set Scheduled Charging in the Tesla settings.

If the Home Flex enables you to set different charging schedules for weekdays and the weekend, can be set from your phone then I suggest trying the Home Flex first. The Tesla Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure settings are not intuitive or easy to navigate.

Thanks for the tips but it was more for charging and not necessarily for rate as my rates are the same but I just wanted to start charging overnight. I was more worried about the car not waking up if I set the schedule on the Charger. So I will try setting my Home Flex to start at 1:00 am and I set the Tesla to start at 1:15 am. I’ll see how that goes.

Well that was a fail woke up to a uncharged car? Tesla said charges stopped and no messes from the charger. Not sure what happened.
You can prevent the Tesla from entering sleep mode if you leave sentry mode active at your home location. Also, if your scheduled charging requirements are straight forward, i.e. Start charging at 01:15 A.M. every day, the Tesla Scheduled Charging feature, by itself, has you covered.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
So I will try setting my Home Flex to start at 1:00 am and I set the Tesla to start at 1:15 am. I’ll see how that goes.
Well that was a fail woke up to a uncharged car?
Yeah, I was thinking that may not have been a good idea trying to use both at the same time. It's like people who think they will be better off if they get insurance on something from two different companies, thinking they will be double covered. Instead, they just argue with each other about who is the primary or secondary insurance, and nothing gets covered.

You can prevent the Tesla from entering sleep mode if you leave sentry mode active at your home location. Also, if your scheduled charging requirements are straight forward, i.e. Start charging at 01:15 A.M. every day, the Tesla Scheduled Charging feature, by itself, has you covered.

My Sentry mode is always on.

Yeah, I was thinking that may not have been a good idea trying to use both at the same time. It's like people who think they will be better off if they get insurance on something from two different companies, thinking they will be double covered. Instead, they just argue with each other about who is the primary or secondary insurance, and nothing gets covered.
So from what you are telling me is I should leave my Home Flex always on and put the Tesla schedule to start at 1:00am