TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ChargePoint Home

Discussion in 'North America' started by NigelM, Mar 18, 2015.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Received an email on this last night:

http://www.chargepoint.com/home/

Looks pretty neat.

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I don't find the offering compelling. The model S already does scheduled charging, and I can see the rate and range from the smart phone app. The only thing the tesla app doesn't yet do is alert you if you forget to plug in, and that would be easy enough for tesla to do.

The docs don't say how much current it provides, but I'd be willing to bet it's 30A.

The volt already does all of this too.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It's good to see more EV home charging options. No pricing yet on this product.

The CNET article says, quote: "From the app, charging can be started, stopped or scheduled for cheaper off-peak power hours"

I don't think the Roadster firmware would be compatible with all those functions since you have to initiate charging on the VDS. Might work with the S though.

Since I already have an HPWC and Roadster HPC in my garage this ChargePoint product isn't something I need. And it's only L2 / 40A at most. But if the price is right some people might like it.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

ChargePoint doesn't do 40A in their commercial products so I doubt this home unit would be 40A. ChargePoint is known for selling underpowered and overpriced units.

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

The only unique and useful feature of this station is energy monitoring. It is only 30 or 32A.

6. bjwModelS

bjwModelS Member

Just got this email today -- but probably because I signed up for Chargepoint last week?

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The utility I work for is currently offering Nest thermostats along with the Rush Hour Rewards demand response program. I can see advantages to incorporating utility DR programs into home EV charging and this could be one possible step in that direction.