Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint in Nebraska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was scrolling through plugshare looking at places, and wow... Chargepoint seems to own Nebraska territories. Almost all of them seem to be ChargePoint. Any idea why that is? Did they get some grant from the state or something? Just curious.

Interesting observation. Here is the state of Nebraska on fastcharger.info:

1640031570898.png

(I don't differentiate--yet--between network providers, you have to click on the dots to identify the network for now)

Most of the sites on I-80 (the highway running west to east) are Electrify America, as are some of the cluster of sites around Lincoln and Omaha. But all of the other sites do appear to be ChargePoint, including most of the ones around Lincoln/Omaha.

I suspect the reason is not so much that ChargePoint received special grants or something from the state, but rather that the other charging networks (EVgo & Blink in particular) all focused on fastchargers in specific metro areas, while ChargePoint was more of a nationwide L2 charging provider (outside of the west coast anyway) without any specific target markets. As they've now grown their fastcharger offering, it seems logical that they would somewhat naturally become the provider in some of the unserved areas of the country where the other providers have not yet expanded.

That's my explanation anyway. It may not be correct, but it seems logical.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Nebraska, the state that brought us Arbor Day has, as shown on Plugshare (294903.jpg ), The Nebraska Environmental Trust (https://environmentaltrust.nebraska.gov). Nebraska, like most states, also has a lot of folks who support EVs. Chargepoint has aggressively pursued Environmental Trust funds and installed a lot of chargers around the state.
Note that Nebraska also has the only private Tesla dealership that I know of - https://chargedautomotive.com. It gets around anti-dealer laws by just doing it themselves.

Most of the chargers are from a grant from the Nebraska Environmental Trust. They have a list of about 20 companies and ChargePoint seems to be the easiest and cheapest to work with.

For the home charger rebate The Nebraska Environmental Trust gives money for rebates to the Public Power companies. They use ChargePoint as they allow 3rd party sharing of data so they see when and how much power is being used.

@Earl Tesla does not have a dealership. Charged is a used car dealer owned by a new ICE car dealer. They will sometimes get individuals that flip a new car so they are technically selling a used car.

Tesla does not have a dealership. Charged is a used car dealer owned by a new ICE car dealer.
Yes, I should have said "effectively a dealership". There is no official connection between them and Tesla. They play a similar role as a dealer (except, I assume, better service) since so many of their used cars are so new and they do maintain an inventory.