Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint installation advice - NEMA 6-50 vs. 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just purchased a Model Y and have been researching charging options. I’m very new to the electrical charging world and my research has left me more confused than before. I would appreciate your advice on this subject.

I found that my utility company is offering a rebate to install a ChargePoint charger, but it must be hardwired starting May 1st. If this is the case, do I need to install the NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet? Or does the charger install directly to the electrical panel via wires? They sell two models (6-50 and 14-50), but does the type matter if it is hardwired? Is it possible to remove the hardwiring if I end up moving? If so, how difficult is it?

If anyone is in the Portland, OR region, I would appreciate any electrician recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Hardwired means directly connected to the wires on the wall, so no socket is needed. The cord will be removed during installation, so it doesn't matter if you buy the model with NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50. The installation and removal of hardwired devices should be done by an electrician.

Where does it say in the requirements it is hardwired? The link for approved devices specifically mentions 6-50 or 14-50 devices so it would seem they can be installed as plug in.

If it is a new requirement, I would think the plug in options will no longer be eligible for rebates and you would need to get one of the other ones listed as coming in 2021.

As far as flexibility, you would pay more to install a 14-50 vs a 6-50 because there is an extra wire needed for the 14-50. Both would be more expensive than hard wired by a few dollars due to the cost of the receptacle. If the hardwired units only need 3 wires that would be the least expensive (or 6-50 with cord removed).

Hello, I just purchased a Model Y and have been researching charging options. I’m very new to the electrical charging world and my research has left me more confused than before. I would appreciate your advice on this subject.

I found that my utility company is offering a rebate to install a ChargePoint charger, but it must be hardwired starting May 1st. If this is the case, do I need to install the NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet? Or does the charger install directly to the electrical panel via wires? They sell two models (6-50 and 14-50), but does the type matter if it is hardwired? Is it possible to remove the hardwiring if I end up moving? If so, how difficult is it?

If anyone is in the Portland, OR region, I would appreciate any electrician recommendations.

Please provide a link or source that shows that after May 1, 2021 the utility requires the electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE), i.e. Chargepoint equipment to be hard wired.

If you are installing the equipment in a garage, out of the weather, then either a receptacle such as the NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 would be perhaps the most flexible if you ever decide to upgrade or need to replace the equipment. If outdoors then a hard wired installation would be better sealed against water intrusion.

The NEMA 14-50 and 6-50 receptacles are both rated for 50A service. The 6-50 receptacle does not use the neutral connection so one less wire is required. The 14-50 receptacle is more common of the two receptacles and is used with electric ovens, ranges; also common at campgrounds for powering RVs. Since most of the cost of installing a new circuit is the labor there may only be small amount of savings of only running 2 wires (plus ground wire) for the 6-50 receptacle versus 3 wires (plus ground wire) for the 14-50 receptacle.

There are many suppliers of EVSE including Chargepoint that offer charging equipment fitted with either the 6-50 or the 14-50 power plug. The 14-50 power plug has become a defacto standard receptacle for 240V 40A and 50A circuits used for charging EVs. If you require a circuit greater than 50A (so you can charge faster) then usually the EVSE must be hard wired.

Last edited:
My electrician has shosen a Chargepoint hookup as well (hardwired). Not sure why but he has beenin installing chargers for some time now and I trust his decision. In NY I'm also told of tax break availability for hard wired installs. We're now just waiting on a "backordered" status. Haven't gotten into the particulars for the tax break yet.

Please provide a link or source that shows that after May 1, 2021 the utility requires the electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE), i.e. Chargepoint equipment to be hard wired.

If you are installing the equipment in a garage, out of the weather, then either a receptacle such as the NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 would be perhaps the most flexible if you ever decide to upgrade or need to replace the equipment. If outdoors then a hard wired installation would be better sealed against water intrusion.

The NEMA 14-50 and 6-50 receptacles are both rated for 50A service. The 6-50 receptacle does not use the neutral connection so one less wire is required. The 14-50 receptacle is more common of the two receptacles and is used with electric ovens, ranges; also common at campgrounds for powering RVs. Since most of the cost of installing a new circuit is the labor there may only be small amount of savings of only running 2 wires (plus ground wire) for the 6-50 receptacle versus 3 wires (plus ground wire) for the 14-50 receptacle.

There are many suppliers of EVSE including Chargepoint that offer charging equipment fitted with either the 6-50 or the 14-50 power plug. The 14-50 power plug has become a defacto standard receptacle for 240V 40A and 50A circuits used for charging EVs. If you require a circuit greater than 50A (so you can charge faster) then usually the EVSE must be hard wired.
Thank you for the explanation. Sorry, I should have clarified. The hardwire requirement is through my utility company to qualify for the rebate. Here’s the link: Home EV Charging Rebates

Attachments

• 262C44CE-092F-4731-9237-962884852FBD.jpeg
    262C44CE-092F-4731-9237-962884852FBD.jpeg
    540.9 KB · Views: 1,311
Thank you for the explanation. Sorry, I should have clarified. The hardwire requirement is through my utility company to qualify for the rebate. Here’s the link: Home EV Charging Rebates
If the Residential EV Charging Pilot Program Qualified Products List (see link) applies to your home installation of an EVSE then it appears that the Chargepoint EVSE will not qualify for the rebate as it uses a plug. You would need to install the Juicebox 32 or Juicebox 40 hardwired EVSE to qualify for the rebate.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/416ywc...142e4e53f9b/res-ev-qualified-products__7_.pdf

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The list is from November 2020 so it doesn't take into account the new requirements from 5/1 on. And the hardwired options were listed as ccoming in 2021 so hopefully they are available otherwise you are out of luck in buying approved equipment to meet the hardwired and demand control requirements.

My electrician has shosen a Chargepoint hookup as well (hardwired). Not sure why but he has beenin installing chargers for some time now and I trust his decision. In NY I'm also told of tax break availability for hard wired installs. We're now just waiting on a "backordered" status. Haven't gotten into the particulars for the tax break yet.
I'm told that in Mass, using either plug by code requires a GFCI because it's outdoors, but the scheduled vehicle chargers will often trip the GFCI when they start. My electrician will take either Chargepoint 6-50 or 14-50 and hardwire it for this reason. So I'm ordering whichever 40A Chargepoint comes first at lower cost.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe

What did you decide? I just had to choose and i decided NEMA 14-50. i sacrificed a 60A ckt (50A charge current) for the flexibility of a plug-in so i can bring the Charger with me if i move.