Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint J1772 vs CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

Picking up Model X 75D in a week. Question about using ChargePoint stations and the type of adapter.
There's a couple of Level 2 ChargePoint stations nearby I've been curious as to the charge time between a J1772 and a CHAdeMO adapter.

Is the CHAdeMO adapter worth the extra cost or is J1772 adequate?

Hello all

Picking up Model X 75D in a week. Question about using ChargePoint stations and the type of adapter.
There's a couple of Level 2 ChargePoint stations nearby I've been curious as to the charge time between a J1772 and a CHAdeMO adapter.

Is the CHAdeMO adapter worth the extra cost or is J1772 adequate?

If you charge at home, definitely wait to see if you need any charging beyond home charging, the Supercharger network, and J1772's/HWPC's. You may find that you would never use the CHAdeMO adapter.

I bought the CHAdeMO adapter a year ago an have used it twice on the Oregon coast, since then Tesla has filled in that route with 3 new supercharger stations. I almost had to use it last week, but decided to add a few miles to my route toward a supercharger. I like having one on hand, but with all the new superchargers coming online in 2017-18, I can't imagine ever using it again. It would be nice if you could just rent or borrow one if you are taking a trip where you think you might need it.... for example: North Dakota :)

You have not explained why you need either one. You will normally charge at home either from a 50-amp outlet or a Tesla Wall Connector. For long distance travel, you will use Superchargers. You will rarely, if ever, need to charge elsewhere.

Is what you are telling us that you have no way to charge at home? I doubt a Tesla is really feasible for you in Houston if that is the case.

There are two providers of CHAdeMO chargers in Texas. Many of them are at Nissan dealerships, and most of those are not available for Tesla use. Almost all of the rest are at EVgo facilities. EVgo has several plans -- it could cost you $6-10 per charge, plus $15/month fee for their lowest plan. If you don't opt for the subscription, then it will be about $22/charge. One issue here is that you have to be there to re-start the charging on an EVgo CHAdeMO charger every 30 minutes.

Most j1772 supplies are fairly low power. You will need to spend multiple hours at one to charge.

In short, CHAdeMO will only be useful for emergency use. J1772 is helpful for the very rare times that you will need to supplement your home charging, but takes many hours to really get a meaningful charge (20 miles of range per hour is typical).

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I live in an apartment where a charging station won't be ready until the fall. My plan is to charge up at local ChargePoint stations until then thinking might have to buy the adapter to charge faster.

In that case, check to see if there is an EVgo CHAdeMO charger convenient for you and get the adapter and a membership, UNLESS there is a J1772 charger in a safe location near your apartment or work, where you can leave the car all day or all night.

The CHAdeMO will still take a couple of hours for a full charge.

Hmmm, I think I might start having nightmares that my trunk will look like one of my storage cabinets in the garage that contains a ton of odd little "wall brick" adapters that I have long forgotten what they attach to. ;-) Hopefully my future trunk won't contain a gillion adapters that I have to figure out which one to use !

Hmmm, I think I might start having nightmares that my trunk will look like one of my storage cabinets in the garage that contains a ton of odd little "wall brick" adapters that I have long forgotten what they attach to. ;-) Hopefully my future trunk won't contain a gillion adapters that I have to figure out which one to use !

I carry the CHAdeMO adapter (used twice, just to learn how), the UMC with standard adapters (5-15 used twice, 14-50 used many times) as well as a home made tt-30 to 14-50 adapter (used three times), and the J1772 adapter (used many times). I also carry a 15' 10 guage 5-15 extension cord and a 15' 14-50 extension cord.. All this fits in the small frunk, with space for sleeping bags and other stuff if needed. I don't need to carry it, but I rarely open my frunk, so I wouldn't use that space anyway.

Don't forget that campgrounds frequently have the 50 amp outlets. It could be useful if there is one nearby.

I have used the 14-50 adapter/UMC at several campgrounds' 50 amp sites. I have been to state parks where the 50 amp sites were all taken, and all they had was a 30 amp site. Thus the TT-30 adapter, which only provides about 9 mph. Painfully slow, but it gets the job done in a day or so.