Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint - What data do the Station owner's receive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what information the station owner's receive when you use their charging station? Any station owners here who can comment?

Thanks!
Depends on which version of the Chargepoint s/w is licensed, and what's turned on. For example, we get limited data for what we've licensed (e.g., we don't have reservations turned on, and we don't charge for a charge). Here's what the reports screen can look like:

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 10.46.55 AM.png

in the reports menu (Analytics|Reservations|etc.), I think the data you're interested in (which we don't capture) would be in the Financial report. The data under Logs looks to be administrative and technical - not related to any consumer activity. Audit trail looks to be an audit of what the admins have been up to. There is an API that provides more detailed information, but again, it depends on what you have licensed. So, we have the Commercial plan, and not much is available: we can see the station # (stationID), port # (ours units have 2 ports each: L1, L2), and how many kWh were pulled for a given session (I forget how far back the sessions are retained - it was so disappointing to see that we aren't licensed for the data we wanted to monitor that I didn't bother to continue).

The report I saw for one of the Chargepoints I frequent included plug time, disconnect time, length of time charging, length of time connected, kW provided, and user identification #. The last one surprised me! Note, this is a restricted access Chargepoint, so perhaps unrestricted ones don't provider a user identification #.

The report I saw for one of the Chargepoints I frequent included plug time, disconnect time, length of time charging, length of time connected, kW provided, and user identification #. The last one surprised me! Note, this is a restricted access Chargepoint, so perhaps unrestricted ones don't provider a user identification #.
Sort of - you still have to swipe your card, so the data are there, the commercial license just doesn't let us access it (we tried; it would have been Real Useful for research) . If you follow the link to the API, you can see the kinds of data collected and possibly available (license permitting). See pages 7-8 for what's available for the different plans. (Note the footnote: "Driver information that is retrieved using this call is visible only if you have a Service Provider Plan and if the driver is part of your driver management realm.")

Last edited:
Sort of - you still have to swipe your card, so the data are there, the commercial license just doesn't let us access it (we tried; it would have been Real Useful for research) . If you follow the link to the API, you can see the kinds of data collected and possibly available (license permitting). See pages 7-8 for what's available for the different plans. (Note the footnote: "Driver information that is retrieved using this call is visible only if you have a Service Provider Plan and if the driver is part of your driver management realm.")

Just to clarify, I do not have access to our setup's plans, so I don't know what leve of service we have and what other data is available. I simply was forwarded an Excel spreadsheet for all charging sessions in the month of May and it included the details I listed above. We have more EVs than charging stations, so the report was sent out along with a note asking the biggest offenders to move their cars after a couple hours or when the charging session was done. There were entries where people were "connected" for 8 hours, but charging only occurred for 45 minutes (i.e., their car finished charging but was left plugged in preventing another user from getting a charge).

Just to clarify, I do not have access to our setup's plans, so I don't know what level of service we have and what other data is available. I simply was forwarded an Excel spreadsheet for all charging sessions in the month of May and it included the details I listed above. We have more EVs than charging stations, so the report was sent out along with a note asking the biggest offenders to move their cars after a couple hours or when the charging session was done. There were entries where people were "connected" for 8 hours, but charging only occurred for 45 minutes (i.e., their car finished charging but was left plugged in preventing another user from getting a charge).
Yeah, probably a common situation. We have a relatively small community of EV drivers, also more drivers than charging stations, and have worked out a common courtesy: email to a list setup by one of us when you're leaving one of the chargers - then anyone else interested can check the Chargepoint site for our units to see if any ports are open, and we've installed a webcam to monitor those parking spots to see if any slots are ICEd.

Now to get more chargers installed....

Yeah I realized yesterday how sweet it would be if I could mark a charger in the app and get a push alert when it opened up. The charger was occupied by a smaller EV and had been full for quite a while according to the charger readout. Good point about the ability to monitor/encourage people to get off the charger if they aren't actually using it. Tracking the data in the Chargepoint app is cool, and I am going to get visible Tesla I think to check what other data I can look into from the car side.