Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger cable stopped opening charge door.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a brownout lasting 48 hours followed by 48 hours with no power. I thoughtlessly left the wall charger plugged into its 14-50.
This is a Tesla wall charger bought in 2017.
Now I have to touch the screen 'open door' on the Charging page to plug in the charger, just pushing the button on the charger no longer opens the little door. After charging, pushing the button the charger does unlock the charge cable as it always did.
Is this a broken charge cable?
It is only a minor annoyance.

Good joke. Nope, the power is back, and my question relates to now,
with normal electrical power, not during the
brown-out or zero-voltage from the power company (PG&E).

I would have responded yesterday, but...neighbors power was out and comcast relied on
the power across the street in some way.... So no desktop internet yesterday.

I'd say 90% chance the charging cable button has failed. It is not repairable, the entire MC is replaced to fix it. There is a small possibility that the car is not detecting the signal. As @Blue Stuff suggests, you can confirm if it's your MC or the car by using a Supercharger. If the Supercharger button works at unlocking your charge port door, it's the MC button that has failed.

Good advice, thanks. Touching the charge door does open the door...just tried it. Perfect fix.
I was at a supercharger during the power outage (first supercharger visit in a two+ years)
but I cannot recall for sure if the button on its charger opened the charge door.

Anyway now I know how to deal with it I'll keep using the existing charger permanently
installed at home, don't plan to buy a new charger for this trivial issue.

Then I remembered I have almost exactly the same charge cable in the trunk...duh. Tried it
and it does not open the charge port door either. Well, now I have to try a SuperCharger
for verification.

Thanks again for the useful advice.

Reactions: ucmndd
Today we drove the 20 miles to parking in San Francisco to see the Ballet
in the Opera House (which was wonderful).

On arriving back home I brought the charge
cable near the charge door and pressed the button and ... the charge
door opened instantly! I have no idea why, but now the button
on the charge cable works
again!