Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger, charge port, or battery failure? - 2016 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
For several months (at least 6, maybe more--my wife's vehicle so I don't always hear when there are issues right away) I have noticed that where we used to get a full 72amp charge from our wall charger at home, that often it would start at 72, then drop to ~60amps. In the more recent months it dropped to 47 amps, and in the past month or so would max out at 24 amps.

We also encountered an issue supercharging about 2 months ago (we don't supercharge very often) where it started out fine, but the charge rate dropped very quickly (sooner and faster than the usual taper) and then quit completely with a red ring on the charge port. We plugged back in, tried a couple other chargers, but could never get a sustained charge again. Ultimately we gave up as we had sufficient charge to get home (just not the usual buffer I like).

About a month ago we had the X at the service center for the MCU replacement and I asked them to check the charging. They used the supercharger without any issues, apparently, and said that we should just have the mobile service schedule an appointment for the charger. Thus, we've continued to charge at 24 amps. We did notice that the charge port lights were always rainbow colored--not sure if that's significant or not.

Fast forward to today and we NEED the supercharger for a trip (230ish miles of interstate to take a kid to college) and it refuses to charge, red charge port ring, error messages, etc. Online service says reboot, but that doesn't fix it. Went to a friend's house in the town we had tried supercharging and are able to use their NEMA 14-50, but only getting 24 amps as we do at home.

So, any insight as to what might be the root cause here? I would have blamed the charger, but that is bypassed with supercharging, so seems to be the least likely. Could be the charge port--the rainbow ring and all support that hypothesis. I read somewhere else that it could be the battery itself as someone with an early Model S had a similar problem, had the charge port replaced, and ultimately that didn't work and it was determined to be the pack itself.

Experience? Insight? Anything we can check to narrow down the diagnosis? We probably won't be able to get this up to the service center until Sunday, then who knows how long before they get to work on it.

Techs were confident of a remote diagnosis of onboard charger failure. The supercharger switch is inside there and apparently can short and become welded closed. Will be a $2500 replacement cost.

takeaways:
1)insist on a full diagnostic work up if you’re noticing and decline in level 2 charging amperage
2)a persistent rainbow color charge port light may be a clue to failed charger
3)don’t plan a trip that requires supercharging if either or both of the above issues exist as supercharging may not be possible.