Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger - DNO approval

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering how long the approval for the install of a domestic charger takes from the local electricity network provider?

Been waiting for a fortnight, and bored using a 3 pin plug.

Hardly the biggest problem in the current situation.... ;)

Just wondering how long the approval for the install of a domestic charger takes from the local electricity network provider?

Been waiting for a fortnight, and bored using a 3 pin plug.

Hardly the biggest problem in the current situation.... ;)
Got mine through inside a month. Both times! My DNO is UK Power Networks. It does vary I believe

sorry, I forgot that both installs had a Powerwall included.

Last edited:
I’ve had a charger installed - but this is the first I’ve heard of telling the DNO - have I missed something I should have done/should now do?

I have a 100A fuse, so not needing that upgraded, had no practical reason to inform them.

Fuse size maybe?
Could be that or if there is any other doubt about whether the current setup can handle it then they are supposed to get pre-approval from the DNO before proceeding. Fuse size is the main one I know of though. only the DNO is supposed to pull the fuse and without doing it you can't always be sure what size it even is. it's not always written on the outside. if they think it might be a 60A then they might not want to proceed until its confirmed / upgraded. Do you have an electric shower or any other high power equipment?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I have @ 100amp supply fuse

Just in case, something to watch out for, rating on supply housing does not guarantee that is what is actually fitted. The only way to know is for DNO/sparky to either pull the fuse, or to look at previous paperwork from when the fuse was officially recorded.

I had a few sparks for quotes, one wanted MPAN etc in advance before they would even quote for the job. The others basically said that it can all be done retrospectively for first charge point/heat pump but I don't think thats the official letter of the law but its never declined (within obvious limits) so safe to do.

Interesting my installer ‘ Smart Home Charge ‘ won’t proceed until approval given. They are the ones liaising with the DNO

They told me that my DNO had already approved mine, and that they were now waiting for OLEV grant approval. I suggested they check again, as I've only got a 60A fuse and an electric shower.

This was after waiting 3 weeks from receipt of the Ohme charger.

@elastictangent thanks, they have just sent me yet another email saying it’s time to start my Olev application..... I’ve already done it twice!

Quite appreciate there are other priorities though at the moment ;)

Actually, the person I spoke to said that they were transferring to a new system and that wasn't going very. I've had the same email and also one asking if I got my charger OK for the 2nd time as well.

Everything in houses now needs to be certified. My installation came with building regulations approval document. After a month the installation was checked for performance, a examiner came out and run a series of leakage and load tests.

Im building a new house and the electrical supply installer wants to know everything about what heating and load is being installed.

@AndyS3 I too am just finishing a new build, getting the electric supply was painful. But getting a charging point is worse!

Luckily I had my smart meter installed today, suspect I’ll be one of the last for awhile. Not having a home charger is no longer the top of anyone’s list. Good luck everyone..... ;)