TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charger Etiquette: Being unplug

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Tesmotorfaqcom, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Tesmotorfaqcom

In the first 7 months of my Tesla ownership I had never gotten unplug at public charging station. But recently I was unplugged twice and one time it's by a plug-in hybrid. In both cases my car wasn't even charged for an hour when it happened. As more PHEV and EV hit the roads especially with M3 launch I think it's just going to get worst. Wondering had others had similar experience.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Lord, this is why I don't use public chargers in LA unless I absolutely have to (which is almost never). My Volt used to get unplugged all the time when I was using free chargers (once only minutes after I walked away causing me to return to zero charge and very little gas in the tank - I was really unhappy about that one).

Paid ones are better - less unplugging, so if I need one I use a pay one. The more expensive the better - no one has ever unplugged me from a .49/kWh Blink unit. And they are always open. :)

If you are using public chargers because you don't have home charging, get a lock for the J1772 handle. There is a little hole in most of them that a little padlock can be threaded through that prevents unplugging.

3. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

I got unplugged at work once for no apparent reason. Each spot in that section has its own charger and nobody else was plugged in on my charger when I came out. Someone just being a jerk, I guess.

4. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

I've never been unplugged at a public charger and so have no need for such a device, but I've seen mention of a simple locking ring that may be of help to some Tesla owners worried about this

Review: Tesla Model S J1772 Charger Lock

5. Tesmotorfaqcom

I had thought about it but worry some idiots might try to yank it out anyway and you end up having to replace the charging port.