Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Etiquette: Being unplug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the first 7 months of my Tesla ownership I had never gotten unplug at public charging station. But recently I was unplugged twice and one time it's by a plug-in hybrid. In both cases my car wasn't even charged for an hour when it happened. As more PHEV and EV hit the roads especially with M3 launch I think it's just going to get worst. Wondering had others had similar experience.

Lord, this is why I don't use public chargers in LA unless I absolutely have to (which is almost never). My Volt used to get unplugged all the time when I was using free chargers (once only minutes after I walked away causing me to return to zero charge and very little gas in the tank - I was really unhappy about that one).

Paid ones are better - less unplugging, so if I need one I use a pay one. The more expensive the better - no one has ever unplugged me from a .49/kWh Blink unit. And they are always open. :)

If you are using public chargers because you don't have home charging, get a lock for the J1772 handle. There is a little hole in most of them that a little padlock can be threaded through that prevents unplugging.

In the first 7 months of my Tesla ownership I had never gotten unplug at public charging station. But recently I was unplugged twice and one time it's by a plug-in hybrid. In both cases my car wasn't even charged for an hour when it happened. As more PHEV and EV hit the roads especially with M3 launch I think it's just going to get worst. Wondering had others had similar experience.

I got unplugged at work once for no apparent reason. Each spot in that section has its own charger and nobody else was plugged in on my charger when I came out. Someone just being a jerk, I guess.