Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger for my Worksite

Pwrgnr22

Sep 29, 2019
Louisiana
I work at a power plant and would like to get a charger installed onsite. It wouldn't be open to the public but I do have a wide range of voltages available that most people don't have at their homes or businesses. What are my options?

Earl

Jan 22, 2014
USA
The cheapest and easiest option is to install NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-20 outlets and let them bring their own connector. Otherwise, there are plenty of good J-1772 EVSEs available (Clipper Creek and Webasto are my favorites) or, of course, a Tesla Wall Connector. I would lean toward a J-1772 since all Teslas can use J-1772 because Tesla includes an adapter but others would have to buy a non-UL approved adapter for a Tesla Wall Connector. My company installed a bunch of the dumb Chargepoint-at-home J-1772 EVSEs. Their reliability isn't as good as my above mentioned but they work too.
If you need to charge drivers for the electrons, Flo, Chargepoint, EVConnect, and others offer networked charging stations that can handle billing but, unfortunately, the electricity cost about triples because of the administrative costs for the network connection and billing.
Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I work at a power plant and would like to get a charger installed onsite. It wouldn't be open to the public but I do have a wide range of voltages available that most people don't have at their homes or businesses. What are my options?
It's hard to give any advice without knowing why you want one there, i.e. what is the imagined/expected use case for the charger and who is going to be using it? What types of EVs might be expected to charge? How frequently?

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
but I do have a wide range of voltages available that most people don't have at their homes or businesses. What are my options?
Other people covered things about formats for outlets and equipment, but no one really talked about this voltage part of the question. All types of electric cars and charging equipment will gladly accept the pretty standard 208V from three phase systems or the 240V from split phase. 277V is hit or miss. Some cars and some equipment is made to handle it, but some not, so I probably wouldn't go for that if you want to make sure it has a good chance of working.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Regardless of what the manual says now, a HPWC Gen2 charger will happily take 277 volts line-to-ground. Hello 13kw charging!

But then you are restricting it to only Tesla vehicles, and people won't like that.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC