Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger fuse tripping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI everybody. I have a 2018 P100D MX. For the most part it has been it a great car. I have a Gen2 charger and have a 240V 100A dedicated line going to my charger. Up until now it has been flawless. Coincidentally, at teh start of the pandemic, I would plug in my car to charge and after a while it would trip the fuse. I would reset it and 10-15min later it happens again. I talked to my electrician and he was reluctant to come out because of social distancing etc. I turned the Amps in the car to 50 instead of 72 or 73 (whatever the max is ) and this seemed to resolve the issue. I figured once the world calms down we can figure this out. Now, however, it's tripping at the lower amperage. Tesla came out and looked over things and turned down the amperage in the wall charger and wanted to see how that goes. It is still tripping the fuse with my MX. However, I did notice that when they had their MS (90D) plugged in that it did not trip the fuse in the car. they seem to be insinuating that it is either the charger or the fuse (wiring) but most likely no the car as "no codes" are detected. I don't follow the logic.
Has anyone had this happen to them? Advise?
Thank you

You should find a destination charger rated at 80amp and see if it works with your vehicle. If it does, then there is something wrong with your wiring, Wall Connector, or circuit breaker.

HI everybody. I have a 2018 P100D MX. For the most part it has been it a great car. I have a Gen2 charger and have a 240V 100A dedicated line going to my charger. Up until now it has been flawless. Coincidentally, at teh start of the pandemic, I would plug in my car to charge and after a while it would trip the fuse. I would reset it and 10-15min later it happens again. I talked to my electrician and he was reluctant to come out because of social distancing etc. I turned the Amps in the car to 50 instead of 72 or 73 (whatever the max is ) and this seemed to resolve the issue. I figured once the world calms down we can figure this out. Now, however, it's tripping at the lower amperage. Tesla came out and looked over things and turned down the amperage in the wall charger and wanted to see how that goes. It is still tripping the fuse with my MX. However, I did notice that when they had their MS (90D) plugged in that it did not trip the fuse in the car. they seem to be insinuating that it is either the charger or the fuse (wiring) but most likely no the car as "no codes" are detected. I don't follow the logic.
Has anyone had this happen to them? Advise?
Thank you
I had this issue when I first took possession of my M3. Long story short, I ended up having no issues when I switched to the Gen 1 UMC. I didn't troubleshoot for long though (maybe a couple of days), so I never did pinpoint what the issue was. The Gen 2 UMC would trip the breaker in my panel after about 10 mins or so, same issue you're having.