Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Handle Hot Alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an alarm that shows Charger Handle Too Hot. It definitely is not hot or even warm to the touch. The manual says to check for debris in the charger handle or charge port…I don’t see anything in either. The charge rate reduced from 32 to 16 amps. I haven’t tried anything else yet (like my other mobile charger), but has anyone else had this alarm and if so, what fixed it? Thanks.

After switching to my spare/travel mobile connector it’s charging at 32 Amps so far. Went with a Hubbell 15-40 plug a year ago in case we would want to get a different make EV someday, but maybe I need to look into just putting in a level 2 Tesla charger? I have two mobile connectors with multiple ends to give me options if on the road, but hopefully they last more than a year.

Upvote 0
After switching to my spare/travel mobile connector it’s charging at 32 Amps so far. Went with a Hubbell 15-40 plug a year ago in case we would want to get a different make EV someday, but maybe I need to look into just putting in a level 2 Tesla charger? I have two mobile connectors with multiple ends to give me options if on the road, but hopefully they last more than a year.
Do you regularly unplug the Mobile Connector from the Hubbell 14-50 receptacle? Does the Mobile Connector hang from the receptacle supported by the 14-50 power plug adapter?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Do you regularly unplug the Mobile Connector from the Hubbell 14-50 receptacle? Does the Mobile Connector hang from the receptacle supported by the 14-50 power plug adapter?
Basically I never unplug the mobile connector from the receptacle. I have a hook to wrap the cord around, but there would be a slight amount of pressure from the unit. After switching to my backup mobile connector last night it finished charging without issue but I might try putting the original back on this weekend to see if the alarm comes back.

Upvote 0
Ok, might be a car issue. My backup charger slowed from 32 to 16 kw tonight too. Same alarm message. Might need to put in a service request.

Attachments

• A3780CB0-D3FB-4F14-A71D-CCCF5AC84F64.jpeg
    A3780CB0-D3FB-4F14-A71D-CCCF5AC84F64.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
A little follow up. I used a Qtip and alcohol to clean the pins in the port. I got quite a bit of black residue on the Qtips but there wasn’t any larger debris. I added about 20 percent charge after that without getting the alarm or the charge amps dropping to 16. I will keep an eye on it to see if this resolves the issue or if it just didn’t charge enough to throw the alarm code that time.

Upvote 0