Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger install 80' away from panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bv2925

Jan 28, 2021
USA
I am trying to install a wall charger that is 80' away from the panel since the panel is located just on the oppsite side of the house. Planning on using 3/4 conduit and individual #6 THNN black & red along with #10 green for the ground on a 60amp breaker.
Considering the run of the cable will i be able to achieve the full capacity of the charger for a model or should i anticipate a drop due to the lengthy run.
Please advice.

Thanks Rocky, appreciate your response.
I am planning to use 3/4 flexible metal conduit from the panel to the exit of the garage wall from where it would be a 90 degree turn and from there on use rigid conduit which would have 2 90 degree bends and enters into the charger.
Any advice on what kind of fittings to use for the conversion, advice to use a 3/4 LB?
And another question is that i dont have a bender nor a threading tool to thread the metal conduit. are there any coupling other than threaded out there that can make my life easier with the job and at the same time pass inspection.

Thanks

Ah, sorry, you're getting into questions about actually doing, which is not my thing. I'm just about the knowing of numbers as an "internet electrician". ;) I am an electrical engineer, but it's for layout design of computer chips, so I don't have experience with the mechanical fittings of conduits and such.

I only have slightly more input, based on experience of installing several units... coincidentally I am also an electrical engineer but I work on circuit board design... My first question is why you've chosen rigid conduit instead of EMT. EMT is way easier, but obviously certain situations call for RMC. RMC does, I believe, have to be threaded; it's kinda part of the point to make very solid coupling connections. For the transition point from flex, I usually use a junction box, as there are fittings from literally everything to fit KO's. An LB is probably fine, depending on the exact installation details.

One other note, you can use the conduit as the grounding means, if you don't want to buy and pull the long ground wire. You do, however, have to bond the ground into the HPWC, which is pretty easily done with a j-box mounted a few inches away from it and a #10 ground wire connected from the box to the HPWC ground terminal. It's admittedly not quite as clean, and I guess if you're doing a fully outdoor installation it wouldn't work well, but I figured I'd throw it out there if it's an option for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H