Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger install in GTA Condo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just completed an install in downtown Toronto with STS Vehicle Charging Station
Everything went very well and it has passed the ESA inspection with no issues. The conduit went down two levels in the parking garage, but they used existing penetrations and did not need to X-ray or drill.
It will speed things up a lot if you provide them photos of the electrical room and take care of dealing with the board and property management.

• Informative
Reactions: mazeminder
I just completed an install in downtown Toronto with STS Vehicle Charging Station
Everything went very well and it has passed the ESA inspection with no issues. The conduit went down two levels in the parking garage, but they used existing penetrations and did not need to X-ray or drill.
It will speed things up a lot if you provide them photos of the electrical room and take care of dealing with the board and property management.

Thanks for the info. I reached out to them.

Maybe if we mentioned which condo building we are in we may find someone else in the same position. I’m in Quay West next to TipTop, and I know of 3 owners just moved in with EV’s, I thought about leaving notes next to their cars to ask.

Maybe if we mentioned which condo building we are in we may find someone else in the same position. I’m in Quay West next to TipTop, and I know of 3 owners just moved in with EV’s, I thought about leaving notes next to their cars to ask.
Finding the other owners that may be liked minded is the way to go. Talk to people in the elevators. You will be surprised at the number of people that think it is a good idea, even if they don't own an EV (yet). I have done consulting work in different areas of business over the years, and I am now going to start marketing myself to condo boards as an EV Infrastructure Install consultant. The more than 2 years it took me to get my building heading in the right direction, and the amount of work it entailed convinced me that boards will pay for my hard earned expertise! I am happy to provide info to anyone on this forum. PM me if you have any specific questions you think I can help you with.

Reactions: mazeminder
I used Canadawide Contractors, as they are the electrician that property management was already familiar with (which made life much easier). In my case, no drilling was necessary as they used one of the existing passages from level one to two. Property management should be able to tell you where these are. Your entire run will need to be in conduit.

I used Canadawide Contractors, as they are the electrician that property management was already familiar with (which made life much easier). In my case, no drilling was necessary as they used one of the existing passages from level one to two. Property management should be able to tell you where these are. Your entire run will need to be in conduit.

Thanks for the info! I'll reach out to them as well.

Lots of good information in this thread. Keep it coming guys - I'm sure it'll help others in the future as well.

I got in touch with the EVDirect (evdirect.ca) people and they were able to send someone to come and have a look at my condo the same day! They were extremely pleasant to deal with. They did some measurements and they told me I'm pretty lucky in terms of distance to the power room. I expect to hear back from them with an estimate in the coming week.

They mentioned that if they have to drill through concrete, they'll need to do some extra work to ensure that they don't drill through any other wires, but that won't cost much more.

My first choice is to use the contractors that already service the building as they will know where the runs are but the smart panel in a condo seems like a smart way to go even though a little restrictive in wattage.

The smart panel can go above 30 amp for individual circuits, but not all EVs use more than 30 amps. For most charger installs 30 amps will be all that is required or needed, so it is seen to be fair and easier to get a board to agree to. Unless you drive a lot, you will never need to charge above that amount, and most people that live in condos, especially in downtown Toronto don't drive that much. They may spend a hell of a lot of time in their cars but the don't put on very many Km in Toronto traffic!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Definitely don't live downtown :)

upload_2018-10-12_9-20-7.png