Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger install in GTA Condo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone has had a Tesla or any level 2 charger installed in their condo in the GTA.

My condo board has approved the work but I need to source out an electrician.

Has anyone had this work done in a condo that can refer?

Thanks!

I didn't go through with the install but the guys over at autochargers.ca might be worth a talking to.

They helped my board understand the process involved in getting chargers in place.

The cost was estimated to be around 12-15k, so I backed off.
Oh Damn...

I noticed there is a Model X with a charger already installed in my building, I left a note in his windshield but haven’t heard back yet.

Others told me expect 3-5K but 12-15 seems like I’d just rely on supercharging instead. The Sherway Gardens super charger is a 10 minute drive for me.

Oh Damn...

I noticed there is a Model X with a charger already installed in my building, I left a note in his windshield but haven’t heard back yet.

Others told me expect 3-5K but 12-15 seems like I’d just rely on supercharging instead. The Sherway Gardens super charger is a 10 minute drive for me.

Yup. That's the boat I'm in. I'm also 10 minutes away from sherway and hopefully that liberty Village SC will come soon :)

My condo comprises of 3 buildings in the north end of the city. I was going to consider talking to the board but considering we have A LOT of outdoor parking so cost wise we could have a few communal chargers outside possibly?. But with the Markville Mall supercharger up and running i figured its just cheaper in the long run to go there since it's only 10 minutes away. There's also many destination chargers popping up within the city.

Well I talked further to my building management and they have offered to get a quote for me from their electrician. I assuming it’s the same people who installed the existing charger that someone else in my building got installed.

I’ll be sure to post the quote here once I get it.

for reference this was 2 years ago

“TSCC 2138 ELECTRIC CAR INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS

The installation of a charging outlet must be done by and through the owner
is ultimately responsible.

The following is a synopsis of what is required:

1) No installation may be carried out on the exclusive use common
element without the Board of Director’s prior approval.

2) The owner submit to the Corporation (Board of Directors) a detailed
plan for the installation of a charging station or 240V plug. We suggest
that our electrician, Tybrad Electric be used for specification re the
running of the wiring and installation of breaker box and sub meter as they
are familiar with the building. Submission provided by an owner and a 3rd
party contractor will be submitted to Tybrad Electric for their review and
approval (at an additional cost to you) prior to the Board approving the
installation.

The electrical contractor will require confirmation as to the type of
vehicle that will be parked there as a 220/240V plug is not compatible with
all electric vehicles and a Tesla as an example would require a charging
station which would change the electrical install requirements.

Depending on how far they have to run wiring from the nearest electrical
supply the cost would be approximately $3000-$3500 for a 220/240V plug.
This estimate is for the cost of wiring only for a 220/240 plug. The cost
for wiring of a charging station would be more and you would be responsible
to purchase and provide the charging station to the electrical contractor.

3) The owner must make arrangements for a sub meter to be installed and
readings to be submitted to the Corporation. Again, our electrical
contractor can make these arrangements on your behalf. The owner will pay
an initial installation reading cost of $130.00. The sub-meter will be read
annually and back charge to the owner. A $700 deposit is required by the
owner to be kept on file to cover the cost of the anticipated use.

4) Owners may not remove any wiring or equipment including the sub
meter once installed with the exception of an individual charging station.
Removal of the charging station requires the common element to be returned
to its original state by the Corporation at the owner’s expense.

5) Upon the Board of Directors approval a Section 98 Agreement must be
requested and prepared for signature by both parties (Corporation & Owner)
prior to installation. The Section 98 Agreement will be prepared by the
Corporation's solicitor, Shibley Righton LLP. The cost of the agreement and
registration is approximately $1500.00

The owner must prepare, submit and oversee any aspects of the work required.
Neither the Corporation nor Management is responsible for the installation
or to manage the project.

All costs associated with purchase of equipment, wiring, electrical or
engineering review and approval that may be required as well as legal costs
to prepare and register a Section 98 Agreement on title is the sole
responsibility of the owner.

PLEASE NOTE: Electrical Cars are allowed on a first come first serve
basis. At some point the Corporation may have to restrict the number of
charging stations or plug-ins that can be installed in our garage as the
city grid may not have the capacity to withstand the additional draw that
numerous electric vehicles would make.

Please let me know if you have any questions.”

Not the cheapest option when my car sits at work for 12 hours a day next to a wall plug.

4) Owners may not remove any wiring or equipment including the sub
meter once installed with the exception of an individual charging station.
Removal of the charging station requires the common element to be returned
to its original state by the Corporation at the owner’s expense.

This seems ambiguous to me. You cannot remove any thing except for the individual charging station, but if you remove that then it sounds like you have to remove everything and return it to its “original state “. If you are paying for the charger, what about wiring a NEMA 14/50 plug and buying a plug in charger that can be easily taken with you (make sure some locking system keeps it from being stolen, of course). I did exactly that for my own garage. Works great.

You can’t argue the rules, you don’t have to agree but you do have to follow them. That’s condo life, no you cannot just wire up a 14-50 plug, it has to be specified use and have a specified charger. In your own garage you can do what ever you like and indeed in my house I have a dedicated charger output.
But the question was regarding condo’s, especially as many are waiting impatiently for their M3 to arrive they may well find they have something similar. I just copied exactly what my board told me I had to do. I don’t get to negotiate the deposit, I didn’t think it was reasonable but the other option was sneak over to the many other tesla chargers in the building or drive to the exhibition center carpark.

I’m starting to feel like supercharging when I need to is probably the best option.

Still waiting on my quote but at 3-5k the replay value would keep me at my condo for quite some time. Especially for the amount of driving I do

Really need a new building code that states any new condos have to have adequate 50 amp wiring to x percentage of parking sites. After that, in not too long a time hopefully, older condos will be at a seller’s disadvantage to many potential new buyers because of lack of charging infrastructure. Then the market will change the attitudes of condo boards.

This is a bit of an eye opener for me. Frankly, I have absolutely no idea what condo living is like but sounds like I would hate the bureaucracy of the whole thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: X.l.r.8
Bringing this thread back up to the top (sorry all).

I'm talking to my condo again and they're in the process of installing the infrastructure in the power room. I'm going to need to find an electrician to bring the power to my parking spot & install the charger.

Can I get a recommendation for electrician(s) that others have used to install a charger in their condo in the Toronto area?

Bringing this thread back up to the top (sorry all).

I'm talking to my condo again and they're in the process of installing the infrastructure in the power room. I'm going to need to find an electrician to bring the power to my parking spot & install the charger.

Can I get a recommendation for electrician(s) that others have used to install a charger in their condo in the Toronto area?

What's in between the power room and your parking spot? Are they on the same level? Is the condo ok with seeing a cable run across the ceiling or along the wall? If there aren't any physical constraints, any competent electrician should be able to install a cable from your condo power room to your parking spot and put in the wall charger. The devil is in the details.

What's in between the power room and your parking spot? Are they on the same level? Is the condo ok with seeing a cable run across the ceiling or along the wall? If there aren't any physical constraints, any competent electrician should be able to install a cable from your condo power room to your parking spot and put in the wall charger. The devil is in the details.

I'm starting to realize that...

The power room is one floor above where my car is. The management hasn't told me about the physical constraints yet, but I guess I can follow up with them. I was just hoping to have an electrician that has had experience with dealing with condos and their management to help expedite the process.

The condo cannot stop the running of the cable unless it significantly impacts common use space. Most times it will not. The cost of coring from one level to another could get quite expensive if they have to x-ray the structure. In my opinion you are always better to find other like minded people in your condo and install the infrastructure for multiple installs. We are in the process of installing the infrastructure for up to 42 chargers in my building in downtown Toronto.

I'm starting to realize that...

The power room is one floor above where my car is. The management hasn't told me about the physical constraints yet, but I guess I can follow up with them. I was just hoping to have an electrician that has had experience with dealing with condos and their management to help expedite the process.
You also need someone with experience of dealing with the board. They are very hard to find unfortunately.

You also need someone with experience of dealing with the board. They are very hard to find unfortunately.

You mentioned that you're in the process of installing 42 chargers. Would your electricians be willing to come have a look at my condo, you think? I know of one other Tesla owner in my condo and he's going through the process with me - but haven't heard of interest from anyone else.

Your tip re: x-ray is interesting. Do you know under what circumstances they'd have to do that?