TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charger Install Pricing???

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Chipper, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Many have recommended NOT using Mr. Electric but since they are the recommended vendor I wanted to get their pricing in comparison to a couple of others. They just left giving me an estimate right around $700 to install an 80 AMP circuit. I have no idea if this is "reasonable" or high. I have two others coming to give me estimates later today. I was wondering what others have paid? Is 80 AMP overkill?

2. RNG

RNG Member

Depends on a few variables like how far they have to run the wires. Do they have to go through walls? Is there enough room in your existing box? I got a quote from Solar City for $4,400.00 and had it done by a different electrician for $1,800.00. Used a 100 amp feed ran 90 feet and put in a secondary panel at the service and panel just before the HPWC. $700.00 sounds like a bargain.

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

He does not have to run any extra wires or go through walls. I am installing right in the garage just below the existing panel. He will be able to use the existing panel since there is space available and it is a 200 AMP input already.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If you are installing an HPWC, make sure he installs a 100 amp circuit which is required by the HPWC to draw 80 amps continuously.

5. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Thanks Lloyd! That is the kind of information I was hoping to get from this post. I was not aware that was the case.

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

FAQ is here.

So you mention "installing an 80 amp circuit", but you don't note to where. I'm going to assume that you have an HPWC that is going to be installed. If you're installing it directly below or beside the existing circuit panel with no walls, etc., $700 feels slightly high. I'd put the price at ~$400 for a "directly adjacent to panel" installation as you describe. Multiple bids will help fill that out for you, though.

As to the size of the breaker, what Lloyd said. The FAQ above contains the link to the document to hand the electrician. Many get confused over the continuous load requirements of an EV charging load.

7. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I paid $800 to Solar City. I had a pretty complex situation and they had to run a wire underneath my house and then up a wall to my carport where they put the HPWC, maybe 150 feet. Because I have solar panels and a backup generator, it took them three extra trips to figure everything out and get things working, since I have a box that allows me to manually switch over to the generator, in addition to the automatic switch. Anyway, everything works great and there were no additional charges for all the extra work. The only added cost was the building permit from the city, which they got and paid for and added the actual cost to the bill. I didn't pay anything until the city inspector approved the installation. Not sure, but it looks like once they gave me the initial price, it didn't matter how much extra they did, there was no increase or other charges added.