Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger install question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

wife and I are thinking about getting a M3. I have a question about charging. I just got an electrician to come today for an unrelated matter and he said that a 240V EV charger has to be run from the main and cannot be done from the breaker box.
That’s an issue for us because the main would mean running 30+ feet of wires in front of the house as opposed to just a couple feet from the breaker box (breaker box actually shares a wall with the garage). Is this accurate?
If it’s any help, House is in San Antonio, built in 2015. I added a couple pictures from the box.
Full disclosure I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to electricity

Attachments

• AA207EC9-7F08-4945-B8BC-4AD2265DEE70.jpeg
    AA207EC9-7F08-4945-B8BC-4AD2265DEE70.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 89
  • B45E677F-1512-4C70-AD13-F8A1AA0AD8DC.jpeg
    B45E677F-1512-4C70-AD13-F8A1AA0AD8DC.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 68
  • 3D9DAC76-4377-4F19-A58D-44539B417AD6.jpeg
    3D9DAC76-4377-4F19-A58D-44539B417AD6.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: wraithevo
I'm in Austin, and I had an electrician put in a 240v in my garage for my MS. My main is on the side of the house and required about 15-20 feet of wiring to run the outlet to the wall where I plug in at. They drilled a hole in the outside stone wall and ran a metal conduit up to the ceiling and down the wall to the outlet. A really good job and works fine. Not unsightly at all. The other breaker box is very close to where I park the car but the 240v has to come off the main.
They should be able to install it and hide the conduit. It just cost a little more to have them run the extra wire and conduit.

House is about 4200SF so not small. AC, oven and dryer are all electric, but run directly from the main, not from the breaker box.

IIRC he quoted me that those are “usually” 90A (or something around that) panels. To clarify, the guy who came to my house to fix stuff isn’t the same guy I talked to about the charger. They are from the same company but different guys. The guy who came to my house seemed to be more qualified to do basic stuff rather then install chargers if that makes sense.

Just out of curiosity how do you know it’s a 200A?

Just out of curiosity how do you know it’s a 200A?

Model number from the panel door photo. Not 100% confidence, but it’s similar to mine.

If it’s a capacity issue, you could also quote a smaller circuit (20-30a) and compare. If your getting a 3 that’s still a full battery overnight.

your “main” must also be a breaker box? Have a photo of that? That would make this a sub-panel and may be limited to much less than 200a (depending on install).

Just installed two Gen 3 wall connectors today ... 200amp main, each wall connector gets a dedicated 60amp, no sub-panel necessary.

Was really easy, took the electrician about 2 hours (garage and panel on opposite sides of the house) and cost $850.

Self Install. I installed a 60A breaker and ran 4 feet of 6 gauge from my exterior 200A panel, through the wall, straight to the the charger.

I am not an electrician however I have worked on electronics, avionics and with all different levels of electricity for the past 23 years. Not difficult at all, but I do not recommend doing it yourself if you have any doubts what so ever.

The only way mine could have been easier is if it was already installed when I bought the house.

Self Install. I installed a 60A breaker and ran 4 feet of 6 gauge from my exterior 200A panel, through the wall, straight to the the charger.

I am not an electrician however I have worked on electronics, avionics and with all different levels of electricity for the past 23 years. Not difficult at all, but I do not recommend doing it yourself if you have any doubts what so ever.

The only way mine could have been easier is if it was already installed when I bought the house.

Good to hear you could self-install. Doesn't this means in Houston TX doesn't require certified electricians and county nspection for anything that change the electrical wiring in the house, as Montgomery County in Maryland does?

Good to hear you could self-install. Doesn't this means in Houston TX doesn't require certified electricians and county nspection for anything that change the electrical wiring in the house, as Montgomery County in Maryland does?
Many jurisdictions allow homeowner to do the install. However, if hiring out, many do require licensed electricians.

Many jurisdictions do require a permit, regardless of who does the install.

Need to check with specific jurisdiction. Some places are a free for all.

Just had my Tesla wall charger installed by Smart Charge America for $1100, which included the gen2 Tesla wall charger, which I wanted because of the longer cable. They did a great job and also provide free removal if I ever move. The charger works perfectly, 12kW @ 48A.