Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger location in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
I'm starting to prep my garage for when the M3 eventually makes its way here.
This is our first EV so we don't have as much experience with charging and are planning to be using the 110V for the time being, as it fits our current driving needs just fine. But, since this may change and everything these days comes with a lead time, we have started thinking about a potential wall charger or NEMA plug. I'm leaning towards the wall charger, since I may be eligible for some local incentives.
But that's not so much the question, the question is more about the ergonomics and where to install it.

Our outside panel is full, so the electrician said we have to pull from the one behind the garage where the dryer is, which luckily isn't too far away.

I made a quick mockup, showing location A and B.
Location A, which is closest to the car appears to be the most convenient location, IF we part in a way that there's enough space behind the car to store the cable. But since it's fairly close to the door when we pull the car in closer, we probably end up squeezing ourselves behind the car and the garage door every single day. (In the summer opening the garage isn't a big deal, but in the winter it's nice to keep it closed as long as possible).

Location B appears to be less convenient because we have to step over the cable, but it would be pretty comfortable to unplug it while keeping the garage door closed. Plus if we ever get a second EV or switch the bays around, the cable would probably still reach the M3 if parked on the left side.

What recommendation do you all have given you have more practical experience with (daily) charging?

Letter - 1.png

While my setup is slightly different, it's pretty close to your A. It works great as long as you have plenty of room between the back of the car and the garage door. There is for me, but perhaps not for you?

I'd recommend B. It's more flexible. It allows easier charging of cars in both spots which allows for parking changes when you eventually change cars and allows easier upgrades to two chargers if you get 2 EVs in the future.

This is almost the exact same layout as my garage. I went with location A as I have a water heater where your dryer connector is (electrical panel same area). I still think location A is the best for your scenario though. You also must consider if you ever back your cars into your garage?

I agree the wall charger is the best option unless you plan on buying an EV that is not Tesla one day (I do not).

My personal choice would be location A, next to the garage door. As long as you can have 18-20" between the back of the car and the garage door it shouldn't be too bad to navigate. If there's only 6-8" of clearance due to stuff in front of the car, then that could be a problem with keeping the door closed. Location A would also allow charging of the car if it's outside, assuming you have a driveway, good weather and back the car in.

Location B is probably the cheapest to implement but could require backing the car into the garage, for both left or right bays. If on the right, you may not have door clearance for the driver to exit.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Hi there,
I'm starting to prep my garage for when the M3 eventually makes its way here.
This is our first EV so we don't have as much experience with charging and are planning to be using the 110V for the time being, as it fits our current driving needs just fine. But, since this may change and everything these days comes with a lead time, we have started thinking about a potential wall charger or NEMA plug. I'm leaning towards the wall charger, since I may be eligible for some local incentives.
But that's not so much the question, the question is more about the ergonomics and where to install it.

Our outside panel is full, so the electrician said we have to pull from the one behind the garage where the dryer is, which luckily isn't too far away.

I made a quick mockup, showing location A and B.
Location A, which is closest to the car appears to be the most convenient location, IF we part in a way that there's enough space behind the car to store the cable. But since it's fairly close to the door when we pull the car in closer, we probably end up squeezing ourselves behind the car and the garage door every single day. (In the summer opening the garage isn't a big deal, but in the winter it's nice to keep it closed as long as possible).

Location B appears to be less convenient because we have to step over the cable, but it would be pretty comfortable to unplug it while keeping the garage door closed. Plus if we ever get a second EV or switch the bays around, the cable would probably still reach the M3 if parked on the left side.

What recommendation do you all have given you have more practical experience with (daily) charging?

View attachment 785280
My choice would be to back the car into the garage, which would put the charge port near the area of the dryer connector. Even coming through the wall, this would shorten the wiring run from the outdoor panel. Makes for a tidier install.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
I'm curious what the electrician quotes me for these two variants, maybe that's already answering which option to go with.

The issue is on the right side, there's built-in shelving, so that just further complicates things to install the charger there. The other issue is that if we want to maximize the space in front of the cars, that leaves very little room towards the garage door, hence making it less convenient to go behind the car to unplug the charger.

Currently our car seat for our daughter is on the drivers side, making it possible to get in and out of the car in that layout pictured (and we barely ever park on streets, so it's 99% of the time fine for her to exit on the drivers side). Backing the car in on a regular basis is not going to happen, we have to play shuffle with the cars in the driveway in front of the garage and it's fairly tight and not everyone driving the car feels comfortable backing in.

I guess I'm gonna have to measure the length for Option B to make sure it reaches the car, but I think that should work.

The issue is on the right side, there's built-in shelving, so that just further complicates things to install the charger there. The other issue is that if we want to maximize the space in front of the cars, that leaves very little room towards the garage door, hence making it less convenient to go behind the car to unplug the charger.
Not sure how to edit the message, but I mean the left side here.

You could install it on the ceiling between both cars with a cable management system so that the plug doesn't dangle to the floor unless you use it. Some people have done installations like that but I don't have the links. I presume you have only one wide garage door and not two small ones, otherwise I'd say put it on that little piece of wall between both doors.

Not sure how to edit the message, but I mean the left side here.
Since you are a new member, you'll have to wait until your post count is greater. How much more, I'm not sure. Maybe 10-15 posts? When you do get the option to edit your post, you'll have a finite amount of time to do so; an hour I believe, unless you upgrade to a paid membership. You'll see the option here on the lower left of your post:
report_edit_delete.jpg

I'm curious what the electrician quotes me for these two variants, maybe that's already answering which option to go with.

Currently our car seat for our daughter is on the drivers side, making it possible to get in and out of the car in that layout pictured (and we barely ever park on streets, so it's 99% of the time fine for her to exit on the drivers side). Backing the car in on a regular basis is not going to happen, we have to play shuffle with the cars in the driveway in front of the garage and it's fairly tight and not everyone driving the car feels comfortable backing in.

I guess I'm gonna have to measure the length for Option B to make sure it reaches the car, but I think that should work.

I was going to say location B, but I’m afraid that might make you feel compelled to explain why location B is a bad choice, and I don’t want to put you to the bother. Maybe the way you could have phrased the question was “I’m installing at Location A, but if any man has an overriding objection to this, let him speak now or forever hold his peace!”

The included charger and wall outlet would likely fit between shelves with very little effort. Getting in and out of the car might complicate it.
I specifically mention charger and wall outlet, since you don't need the bigger Wall Charger. It is more expensive to install, and is not required for overnight charging. Just install a NEMA 14-50 wall outlet and order the 14-50 adapter for the included charger.
I use the included charger. It has served me just fine for 7 years and nearly 200,000 miles.

If that is not to your liking, position B would be most convenient. You still wouldn't need a wall charger.

I was going to say location B, but I’m afraid that might make you feel compelled to explain why location B is a bad choice, and I don’t want to put you to the bother. Maybe the way you could have phrased the question was “I’m installing at Location A, but if any man has an overriding objection to this, let him speak now or forever hold his peace!”
Appreciate your thoughts. I purposefully didn't say what I favor because I wanted honest opinions what people think. Now that we have had the conversation, I can say that I'm leaning towards B, because it's cheaper and more versatile. Who knows how long we keep the other car or replace it with something else, so maybe in a year from now the other bay is more appealing to park in which would work better with that charger location.

The included charger and wall outlet would likely fit between shelves with very little effort. Getting in and out of the car might complicate it.
I specifically mention charger and wall outlet, since you don't need the bigger Wall Charger. It is more expensive to install, and is not required for overnight charging. Just install a NEMA 14-50 wall outlet and order the 14-50 adapter for the included charger.
I use the included charger. It has served me just fine for 7 years and nearly 200,000 miles.

If that is not to your liking, position B would be most convenient. You still wouldn't need a wall charger.
I wish this wasn't such an either or situation.
With our current habits, 110V is plenty enough. But, I can see that there might be situations where faster charging might be helpful throughout the week (the fast charger is too far away to be useful in that scenario). So NEMA would be fine, however, I do not like the fact that we have to remember to take the charger in case we decide to go on a trip. As a sleep deprived parent of an almost 4 year old, I can guarantee we will forget the charger.
And installing a wall charger is one-time cost that I'm happy to roll into our current renovations (plus I might be able to get some funding from the city here to do it).

I recommend location C: The left-rear of the garage, closest to the charge port of the car on the left side.
I need to sleep on this option some more. It's the furthest possible distance from the breaker panel though.

I recommend location C: The left-rear of the garage, closest to the charge port of the car on the left side.
This is where i located ours. The cable can reach either parking spot easily.

With our current habits, 110V is plenty enough.
110v sucks ass. There are efficiency losses on top of taking 17 hours to charge 50 miles. In that regard, it doesn't matter if its a wall charger or the mobile, as long as its 40amp or higher you are good to go (note it runs at 80% of max amperage). But at 110v you will end up living your life around the time to charge which is slow as molasses at 3 miles per hour.

This is where i located ours. The cable can reach either parking spot easily.

110v sucks ass. There are efficiency losses on top of taking 17 hours to charge 50 miles. In that regard, it doesn't matter if its a wall charger or the mobile, as long as its 40amp or higher you are good to go (note it runs at 80% of max amperage). But at 110v you will end up living your life around the time to charge which is slow as molasses at 3 miles per hour.
Maybe 3 mph was with older cars? My 2021 SR+ has never charged at less than 5 mph but even that was rare compared to 6 mph. 50 miles would take me 8-9 hours. I did end up going with a 14-50 outlet, though, because as you said, with 110 volts only around 70% of the power your outlet puts out actually gets into the battery, whereas nearly 90% of the power from a level 2 solution gets into the battery…

Appreciate your thoughts. I purposefully didn't say what I favor because I wanted honest opinions what people think. Now that we have had the conversation, I can say that I'm leaning towards B, because it's cheaper and more versatile. Who knows how long we keep the other car or replace it with something else, so maybe in a year from now the other bay is more appealing to park in which would work better with that charger location.

For the most part you would actually be the world’s leading expert on the best location to choose, with intimate knowledge of the details of your garage and the positioning of the cars therein and (perhaps more importantly) your family’s preferences and habits in relation to use of the cars. One thing maybe I could chip in is that, as far as cables as tripping hazards, I am thinking the 110 volt charging would leave you like I was, with the cable pretty much stretched across some floor space pretty much every day. However, after I switched to level 2 solution (Nema 14-50 outlet), I only have to charge 2 or 3 times per month, which means the cable tripping hazard exists only 2 or three times per month…