Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have my Tesla yet, but I am trying to plan the installation of a Tesla wall connector.

charger_locations.png

The diagram above shows the possible locations I am considering, but I am not sure what is best. It is a two car garage, and the Tesla will be the only car parked there.

Location 1 - This is closest to the electrical panel, so it would be optimal in terms of electrical wiring and cost. It should work no matter which orientation the car is parked, as long as it is on the right. The only thing I don't like about it is that the charger and the door to enter the house are in opposite corners of the garage. This might be a stupid thing to worry about. I am just thinking that I will be using this setup for years and getting in/out of the car thousands of times.

Location 2 - This would be closest to the charging port if I park nose in, which is the way I am used to parking. My concern here is that the charger would be on the opposite side of the electrical panel. Is it reasonable to install that way, or is it not recommended if you have other options?

Location 3 - This would be closest to the charging port if I back in. I will still need to move between opposite corners of the garage when getting in/out, and it is not the closest to the electrical panel. I think this is the worst option.

Personally, I would go with #1. It mirrors my garage layout with respect to the doors, the electrical panel (although mine is outside the garage) and is where I plan on putting my wall connector. However, in my case I would be parking out on the driveway. As such, going with 1 or 2, you would be able to charge your car in the driveway if need be.

As you say, it should be the lowest in installation cost by being the closest to the panel. Highest in walking distance but really, if that's a concern, you need to get more exercise anyway.

Reactions: MHATB FLA
My setup is similar, but without that exterior door. Mine is at 2, and whem plugged in the cord is always in the way of our footpath when we leave the garage (eg, walking from inside the house to outside the garage door). I worry about my kids bumping it as they squeeze by on their way out. I would go with 1. It’s closest to the panel, and the cord should reach across the car.

Location 3 - This would be closest to the charging port if I back in. I will still need to move between opposite corners of the garage when getting in/out, and it is not the closest to the electrical panel. I think this is the worst option.
I wouldn't want to back in, so I definitely wouldn't do that.

Location 1 - This is closest to the electrical panel, so it would be optimal in terms of electrical wiring and cost. It should work no matter which orientation the car is parked, as long as it is on the right. The only thing I don't like about it is that the charger and the door to enter the house are in opposite corners of the garage. This might be a stupid thing to worry about. I am just thinking that I will be using this setup for years and getting in/out of the car thousands of times.

Location 2 - This would be closest to the charging port if I park nose in, which is the way I am used to parking. My concern here is that the charger would be on the opposite side of the electrical panel. Is it reasonable to install that way, or is it not recommended if you have other options?
Either of those looks good to me. Installation difficulty or cost isn't going to be that big a deal either way, since these are in the garage, and pretty accessible and not much distance. For #2, if there is attic space above that garage, the installation labor would be a bit cheaper, since they can just run cable straight up through the wall, over the top, and then down through the opposite wall. Even if not, running conduit on the surface, up the wall, across the ceiling, and then down the other wall still wouldn't be that bad.

I would probably go with #2, just because that seems a little more convenient for the useage. #1 would be a little cheaper on the install, but then you would just need to lay the cable down behind the car to plug it into the left side. Cable gets dirtier, but that's not a big deal either.

Reactions: GtiMart
I'm in the midst of doing this same thing...and based upon your garage diagram, I would go with #2. Why? You are going to have to install a NEMA port or Wall Charger, right?...so Lets say you install it 2 feet away from the electrical box...and park your car, near option #1. You now have two entry points, the garage door and that exterior door where foot traffic will be walking around the car and on top of the charger cable...basically its a high traffic area (maybe I'm wrong.

Now, lets say that you simply ask the electrician to run the conduit (assumign you aren't running the wire behind the walls) up to the ceiling, across the ceiling and down the wall to option #2. Yes, it will cost incrementally more, but you have your charging cable out of the way of foot traffic (I think) and you don't have to back your car into your garage. my experience from running it "close to the electrical panel" vs. "across the garage" only increased the install by about $300. This was on a 50amp circuit. Had i done a 60amp, the cost would have been much higher...for either option due to the higher cost of the thicker gauge wire.

I'd bite the bullet and go with #2, as I feel you would be more comfortable with that (based upon some assumptions that I have made).

In all fairness, one option, that I don't see on your diagram..and what I did... was have a NEMA 15-40 outlet installed on the crossbeam in the exact center of my garage CEILING, about a foot behind the garage door opener motor. I plan on mounting a J-hook or somthing and rolling the cable up, suspended about 7ft in the air. This way it is central to either spot in the garage and the mobile connector (which i plan to use as my permanent charger) can reach either spot, regardless of where I park.

#1 works surprisingly well - the cord swings naturally under the bumper and stays out of the way. But #2 is likely worth the extra expense. It's just so nice to be able to reach right over and plug the thing in without even taking a step or uncoiling the cord. You can literally do it with two fingers in two seconds.

The wiring would cost about $2/foot at full retail but your contractor pays much less so he'll probably charge about $10/foot and you have roughly 30 feet difference between #1 and #2. He'll probably run a piece of conduit along the wall over the door unless there's an accessible attic space.

Consider also putting a 14-50 outlet in #1 while he's there as it should be really cheap to do along the way and you'll probably want it for your second EV.

#2 all day. Conduit and wire costs should not be a deal breaker if you'r buying a Tesla and you'll appreciate the location since you clearly want to park nose in. Our electrical panel is in the basement and on the opposite side of the house form the garage. I needed nearly 80ft of cable which was the majority of the cost of my charger install. Consider yourself lucky you're only going across a garage.

Thanks to everyone who provided input. I am concluding that #2 has a bit of advantage over #1, with the only downside being higher cost. I will get some quotes for both, to see if I can find an electrician that does not charge significantly more for running the extra cable.