TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charger on a friends house

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by torcator, May 3, 2018.

1. torcator

torcator Member

So,
    I have a colleague that lives 40 miles from home and since we work together, we meet a few times per week.
    I was thinking of installing an electric charger at his house but I'm not sure which one.

This should be a temporary solution, something that eventually I could move it. And also ideally it should require a simple electric installation.

Costo has this one.
    What do you think?

Is this a good solution?

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I would just add a NEMA 14-50 and the use your mobile connector

• Like x 3
  3. Enginerd

Enginerd Member

Note that the JuiceBox @ Costco plugs into a NEMA 14-50 anyway, and is therefore unnecessary. Getting a 14-50 installed generally costs say $400 & up. If this is just an optional target of opportunity, can you snake a cord into an interior dryer or oven outlet? Or maybe just pick up a few mph at 120V?

4. davewill

davewill Active Member

Why would you bother to charge at a destination only 40 miles form home? I would because I have a much smaller battery than you guys, but I wouldn't if I had 200 miles of range. Anyway, the JuiceBox will work just fine, but...

A. Your existing mobile connector would plug into the same outlet it uses.
    B. The Tesla wall connector and mobile connector are both cheaper than that.

• Like x 1
  5. thefortunes

thefortunes Active Member

Interesting, I don't know anyone who lives 40 miles from their home.

• Funny x 1
  6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

I have the JuiceBox Pro 40, and it's a nice EVSE. I agree with others that I'm not sure that you need one if there will be a 14-50 outlet there where you can just plug in your UMC, but I do recommend the JuiceBox in general. It adds some functionality that you don't get with a WC or UMC, like phone- and web-based monitoring of the actual from-the-wall energy going into your cars, the ability to see usage over time, past sessions, to set ToU restrictions that apply to all vehicles that may plug in (and easily override them from your phone), etc.

And it's built like a tank, and is portable.

7. Barry

Barry Active Member

That's what I was wondering...

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

At my mother's house I just bought a heavy duty 25' 10-30 extension cord (that I leave there) and plug in her dryer plug that isn't in use since she has gas. I get around ~18 mph so unless I'm there for more than 3 hours, I don't bother.