Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger on a friends house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So,
I have a colleague that lives 40 miles from home and since we work together, we meet a few times per week.
I was thinking of installing an electric charger at his house but I'm not sure which one.

This should be a temporary solution, something that eventually I could move it. And also ideally it should require a simple electric installation.

Costo has this one.
What do you think?

Is this a good solution?

I would just add a NEMA 14-50 and the use your mobile connector
Note that the JuiceBox @ Costco plugs into a NEMA 14-50 anyway, and is therefore unnecessary. Getting a 14-50 installed generally costs say $400 & up. If this is just an optional target of opportunity, can you snake a cord into an interior dryer or oven outlet? Or maybe just pick up a few mph at 120V?

Why would you bother to charge at a destination only 40 miles form home? I would because I have a much smaller battery than you guys, but I wouldn't if I had 200 miles of range. Anyway, the JuiceBox will work just fine, but...

A. Your existing mobile connector would plug into the same outlet it uses.
B. The Tesla wall connector and mobile connector are both cheaper than that.

Reactions: TexasEV
So,
I have a colleague that lives 40 miles from home and since we work together, we meet a few times per week.
I was thinking of installing an electric charger at his house but I'm not sure which one.

This should be a temporary solution, something that eventually I could move it. And also ideally it should require a simple electric installation.

Costo has this one.
What do you think?

Is this a good solution?
Interesting, I don't know anyone who lives 40 miles from their home.

• Funny
Reactions: Zaxxon
I have the JuiceBox Pro 40, and it's a nice EVSE. I agree with others that I'm not sure that you need one if there will be a 14-50 outlet there where you can just plug in your UMC, but I do recommend the JuiceBox in general. It adds some functionality that you don't get with a WC or UMC, like phone- and web-based monitoring of the actual from-the-wall energy going into your cars, the ability to see usage over time, past sessions, to set ToU restrictions that apply to all vehicles that may plug in (and easily override them from your phone), etc.

And it's built like a tank, and is portable.

At my mother's house I just bought a heavy duty 25' 10-30 extension cord (that I leave there) and plug in her dryer plug that isn't in use since she has gas. I get around ~18 mph so unless I'm there for more than 3 hours, I don't bother.