Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so much a question but a fortunate turn of events. The building complex my business is located had massive fire damage. As in my entire office is down to the studs, insurance is 800K into this. Anyway, asked the landlord if it would be possible to put 220V line in the exterior wall to charge. Absolutely fine with it, I’ve been a 110v charger for my entire ownership (1 week 800 miles). He must have asked an hours worth of questions and answers about the car. So now the electrician will install it and as soon as I’m back in business ow I’ll charging at work. Just a nice finish to one of the worst experiences of my life.

So what's your question? What type of station to install? Are you sharing it with others or is it just for you? If the latter, the Tesla Wall Connector is the best value for money and can be expanded to dynamically share multiple devices on a single circuit - this adds some flexibility in the future in case other people at your office buy Teslas and want to charge.

If you're looking to future-proof with minimal up-front cost, have them run a 100 amp circuit to the Wall Connector, which will allow up to four Wall Connectors in the future without having to add more wiring beyond the daisy-chain from one original to the new ones. If four cars are charging, each vehicle will get 20 amps. If two cars are charging each vehicle will get 40 amps.

Reactions: Obsoletion
So what's your question? What type of station to install? Are you sharing it with others or is it just for you? If the latter, the Tesla Wall Connector is the best value for money and can be expanded to dynamically share multiple devices on a single circuit - this adds some flexibility in the future in case other people at your office buy Teslas and want to charge.

To expand upon this, Tesla at least used to have a Charging Partner program in which they offered free Wall Connectors to interested businesses. They'd even throw in a free Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE for every two Wall Connectors. I've seen conflicting reports on whether this program is still active, but the Web page is still there, with a contact form, so you might want to have your employer check it out. When rebuilding from a disaster such as @BrianG1970 describes is a great opportunity to add some 21st Century technology to a building.

Reactions: Big Earl
It looks to me like this OP was just sharing a fortunate turn to a very unfortunate set of events. I dont see a question, just some information sharing.

OP glad there is a fortunate turn for you. If your workplace is putting in a wall connector type station, they should put in one that can be used by multiple different types of EVs, not just teslas. If you own the business and its for you, then do what you want thats most convenient for you. If not, have them either put in a wall connector that has the standard J1772 connector, or, have them put in a 14-50 outlet or something.

Issue with a workplace putting in a tesla specific one is more visual, because if any employees have other type EVs (or buy them, which is more and more likely to happen as EVs get more mainstream), the business owner can get questions from the other employees about "why tesla specific?? why are you favoring so and so, who has a tesla?".

Best to avoid that up front with either a wall connector type product that has a standard type connector, or just an outlet with a bring your own wall connector type thing.

To expand upon this, Tesla at least used to have a Charging Partner program in which they offered free Wall Connectors to interested businesses. They'd even throw in a free Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE for every two Wall Connectors.
I'm pretty sure that is gone with Tesla's new aggressive cost cutting measures. That would probably be one of the first things to go.

It looks to me like this OP was just sharing a fortunate turn to a very unfortunate set of events. I dont see a question, just some information sharing.
Nah--that wouldn't make sense with the thread title: "Charging options". That's trying to ask about "options". If it were just an announcement, it would be something like: "I'm going to get work charging!"

OP glad there is a fortunate turn for you. If your workplace is putting in a wall connector type station, they should put in one that can be used by multiple different types of EVs, not just teslas. If you own the business and its for you, then do what you want thats most convenient for you. If not, have them either put in a wall connector that has the standard J1772 connector, or, have them put in a 14-50 outlet or something.

Issue with a workplace putting in a tesla specific one is more visual, because if any employees have other type EVs (or buy them, which is more and more likely to happen as EVs get more mainstream), the business owner can get questions from the other employees about "why tesla specific?? why are you favoring so and so, who has a tesla?".

Best to avoid that up front with either a wall connector type product that has a standard type connector, or just an outlet with a bring your own wall connector type thing.

You’re right. I totally skimmed over his first sentence.