Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger placement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ones in Superior are Destination Chargers, not Superchargers. Looks like the city placed them, so go Superior!

And there are a pair of Destination Chargers in Mesa at the Hilton, but you probably have to be a guest.
You bring up a good point that a lot of new Tesla owners don't know about... the difference between "Destination Superchargers" and what people typically think of as "Superchargers." It's important that you pull up the information about any Supercharger you intend to visit and look at the max charge rate for the station.

the difference between "Destination Superchargers" and what people typically think of as "Superchargers."
True. So I don't mean to be pedantic, but lets start with the words. There is no such thing as a Destination Supercharger--Just Destination Charger. It's essentially the same unit you can buy yourself for $500 in the Tesla store and install at home. They are located at wineries, hotels, stores--wherever the property owner would like to offer an amenity for Tesla owners.

Superchargers are Tesla-owned high-power DC charging stations. They're strategically located along major highways and increasingly in urban areas. You'll encounter Urban Superchargers that top out at 72 kW. Most Superchargers in the world are 120-150 kW. The very new V3 Superchargers deliver 250 kW, but there are only a few so far.

True. So I don't mean to be pedantic, but lets start with the words. There is no such thing as a Destination Supercharger--Just Destination Charger. It's essentially the same unit you can buy yourself for $500 in the Tesla store and install at home. They are located at wineries, hotels, stores--wherever the property owner would like to offer an amenity for Tesla owners.

Superchargers are Tesla-owned high-power DC charging stations. They're strategically located along major highways and increasingly in urban areas. You'll encounter Urban Superchargers that top out at 72 kW. Most Superchargers in the world are 120-150 kW. The very new V3 Superchargers deliver 250 kW, but there are only a few so far.
D'oh... "Urban Supercharger," that's the two words that failed me. Here I attempted to clear up the confusion, and just added to it instead!

Man, I wish we could edit our posts after more than a few minutes... hate to leave my dis-information there to confuse people.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Reactions: CharleyBC
The ones in Superior are Destination Chargers, not Superchargers. Looks like the city placed them, so go Superior!

And there are a pair of Destination Chargers in Mesa at the Hilton, but you probably have to be a guest.
=====
Correct there are some at a couple of the hotel / motels but they are for guests only. A little expensive for a charge.

There are also some chargers that are not Tesla chargers not sure if I have the correct adapters or not.
So far I haven't needed a charge away from home. All my charging needs get done in the driveway.

But it's aggravating that Tesla thinks the only people with enough money to afford a Tesla live in Scottsdale.

Tucson metro has a population of about a million people and there are two Super Charger locations. One to the south on I10 at S Rita Rd that has 120 KWH charging and one to the north that has 72 KWH chargers on East Skyline at La Encantada Mall which is about 8 miles east of I 10.
Ajo however has no super chargers. But there is a campground with NEMA 14-50 plugs.

There are also some chargers that are not Tesla chargers not sure if I have the correct adapters or not.

Broadly speaking, there are two types of public EV charging (plus regular outlets -- 120v or 240v, the latter most common publicly at campgrounds). The first is Level 2 outlets, most of which use J1772 connectors that work directly with most EVs. Tesla's Level 2 EVSEs also exist, but obviously you don't need an adapter for them. The J1772 units can be used with an adapter that comes with all new Teslas:

1067348-00-A_0.jpg

Personally, I've never had a problem with this adapter. It slightly complicates charging compared to using a non-Tesla EV, but not by much. I keep mine in a bin with my sunglasses in my center console so it's easy to grab. There are some very rare compatibility problems with some brands of EVSE, but mostly it all just works.

The second type of public charger is a DC fast charger. These come in three varieties: Tesla's Supercharger (which requires no adapter), CCS (for which no adapter is available), and CHAdeMO (for which Tesla sells a $450 adapter). Most sites that offer CCS also offer CHAdeMO, usually as two cables on one charging station pedestal. There are a few areas where Superchargers are uncommon but CCS and CHAdeMO are more readily available, so some people find the $450 CHAdeMO adapter worthwhile; but in most areas, Superchargers are at least as common as CHAdeMO, so few people buy the CHAdeMO adapter. (I bought one myself, but mainly as "insurance" in case of an emergency or in case I need to go on a road trip on short notice into a Supercharger-sparse area.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Phlier
True. So I don't mean to be pedantic, but lets start with the words. There is no such thing as a Destination Supercharger--Just Destination Charger.

I do mean to be pedantic, but there is no such thing as a “Destination Charger” either ;)

It’s an EVSE that supplies AC to the charger in your car.

Tesla calls them Destination Charging sites.

=====
Correct there are some at a couple of the hotel / motels but they are for guests only. A little expensive for a charge.

So far I haven't needed a charge away from home. All my charging needs get done in the driveway.

But it's aggravating that Tesla thinks the only people with enough money to afford a Tesla live in Scottsdale.
Elon just tweeted asking where should they put new superchargers. Scottsdale probably had the highest concentration of X and S, but now with the 3 that will change.

how strict are local hotels with use of destination chargers if you're just topping off while getting coffee and not a overnight guest? I know the BW in N. PHX is strict but it's not a Tesla charger either.