Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger popping Circuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed my charger and when I connect the unit to the wall mount I pop the circuit. All the wires are fine, not grounded or crossed. I don't have any issues until I connect the unit to the wall mount. I am not charging anything yet either. Help!

For anyone to attempt to help you, you will need to provide a LOT more information. Your post has almost no information for anyone to even start trying to help you.

"I just installed my charger" .... so I am going to assume you are not an electrician or you wouldnt be posting for help about a circuit breaker popping.

Installed the wall connector with what exactly? Exactly what type of wire? Exactly what gauge? Exactly what amp breaker? What is your electrical setup (Panel, main service etc)? Are you sure nothing else is on the same circuit? Are you sure you connected everything per the manual for the device? What makes you sure that you did this correctly, if you say you did?

Its obviously not connected correctly, because its popping the breaker. You need to answer those questions above, and also provide pictures of your setup, your charger, distance to the wall connector, etc so that the members here who are competent with this stuff can help you.

I would suggest, though, if you are having issues with this that you should contact an electrician to install it for you. People normalize electricity but this isnt like installing a regular 15 amp wall outlet. Incorrect installation can start a fire and burn your house down, and since people generally charge at night, there is a greater chance of you actually being sleep or something if a fire starts.

Anyway, some more detail and perhaps some of the members here who are technically inclined with electricity will be able to help you. I know a bit about electricity but paid to get mine installed. There are plenty of people here with a lot of knowledge though.

Upvote 0
Thank you for asking for clarification. I ran 6 gauge wire from my inside breaker box. I have a 60 amp breaker. I installed a disconnect box in line with the wires like an ac unit. I am not an electrician but had some training when I was young. The red and white connector in the conner are shorted to each other which is very strange. If you need additional information, please let me know.

Attachments

• 20220529_202322.jpg
    20220529_202322.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
I just installed my charger and when I connect the unit to the wall mount I pop the circuit. All the wires are fine, not grounded or crossed. I don't have any issues until I connect the unit to the wall mount. I am not charging anything yet either. Help!
Just to clarify: are you plugging the wall connector in with the breaker already on? Or, once the wall connector is installed, the breaker trips as soon as you try to toggle it on?

Upvote 0
This is a disaster waiting to happen. That wire is at best SOOJ cord not meant for permanent installation. At worst it speaker wire. You also have individual wires running through the wall. That is a code violation. Then there is a conduit fill issue. Then the disconnect has dumb ends and frayed wires sticking out of the disconnect. Seems like you’ve done a great job of creating a fire hazard. Call an electrician before you kill yourself or someone else.

Upvote 1
Just a quick update that the charger is working well.

@qdeathstar is actually a licensed electrician (at the very least licensed in the state where they perform their work). I would highly suggest that you look at the issues that they identified, and address them, if you havent already. Sometimes, their posts can be a bit "direct", but that doesnt change the information on this topic.

I mention this, because you came back to this thread to say "its all working", but didnt say whether you addressed the multiple unsafe issues that were pointed out. Hopefully you did.

Upvote 0