Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger question for campus's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.
I'm a Facilities Engineer for a Fortune 100 company in the upstate New York area. We are in the midst of installing electric chargers through out the campus not only for Tesla vehicles, but for other as well. My question would be regarding charging money for charging the car. I'm being told by my legal department that I can not make the chargers free as A) It would be income to the employee that would be open to be taxed, etc, and B) Others are asking me where the company gas pumps would be for free gas.

Has anyone else dealt with this ? How have they handled it ?

Does you company offer free coffee? I don't drink coffee, what about me then. Should free coffee be considered income?

I believe that all you have to do is to expand your existing green policy to include charging for any employee OR visitor that wants to take advantage of it. Some companies also offer incentives to buy EVs. A local Cisco facility offers incentives and they've got a large number of chargers for employees and visitors.

I'm pretty sure that your law department gave the classic response "Since I don't want to do any research and my job doesn't depend on it, the answer is always NO"

Lawyers, you can't live with them, and it would be so much easier to live without them!

Due check on rules in your state/locale. In some places like e.g. TX only an electric utility can sell metered electricity. What my company in california has done is contract with ChargePoint to put EVSE's, we then arrange to have charge point bill employees at the peak commercial rate we pay for electricity ($.11 to $.13 / Kwh). It's cheaper than what you would pay in a residential setting and the little bit extra that's taken in off peak pays for the Chargepoint maintenance contract.

Hmm, this is a really interesting topic, and I can tell a bit what my company with tens of thousands of employees just did. First off, good grief. The plural of campus is campuses, not "campus's".

Thanks, @JSergeant for the document about fringe benefit. So it seems that the status is still a little vague, but it might be excluded from taxable income.
Due check on rules in your state/locale. In some places like e.g. TX only an electric utility can sell metered electricity.
Yes, that is a very interesting one. One of the easiest consolidated places I go to look this up is Blink has an FAQ page where they list which states they can sell per kWh and which states they can't and have to charge per minute.
Blink - Membership FAQs

New York is listed as a per kWh state, so that is fine for your university situation, @LM_ENG150 . But weirdly, my state of Idaho is not on their list where selling per kWh is allowed, so it's among the "all other states" that have to use per minute. But my company just put in Chargepoint stations this year (in Idaho) and charges us per kWh, so I don't know how they are allowed to do that.

Anyway, here's my company's thing, which may be useful. For years, the EV charging spots were basically a sad joke. It was two parking spaces (remember we have thousands of employees) which shared access to one single outdoor 120V outlet. Yeah, zero cost and pathetic, but there were always two cars there sharing that outlet. Oh, and as it relates to the "de minimus" level for the IRS, since you can only pull about 1kW or less power from the outlet (less, since it's shared), you could only get about 8 kWhs or energy in a workday from it, so that's about 64 cents worth per day--definitely low enough to not be accounted for.

We're a high tech semiconductor company, so it was very behind the times compared to other competitors to not offer real EV charging, so they put out a survey asking for opinions on it. Oh. My. Goodness. Idaho is a very Red State, so the outpouring of seething hatred for clean vehicles was amazing! So the company realized they probably didn't want to offer it free so as to not create hate and jealousy among the employees. So they went with Chargepoint. Apparently a company or organization can set up their own private Chargepoint network with several kinds of specifications. You have to sign up for an account with the unique company member code, so only employees can use those stations, not the general public. And they have it set for a 4 hour limit, so you will get notifications when you're done, so you can move. And if you want a spot, you can put in a request, and they will notify you when a spot is available, and you have half an hour to go hook up your car in there. The rate they are charging for electricity is only 6 cents per kWh. Our residential rates here in Idaho are just barely over 8 cents per kWh, so it's slightly cheaper than at home. But with it being a huge industrial site, I'm pretty sure their bulk corporate rate per unit is probably about that low, so it's probably at cost for them. When it was announced, the department VP said they are charging for it, "so it's not just a subsidy for Tesla owners". So you can already see that they are just trying to avoid the jealousy factor.

So yeah, Chargepoint has solutions that can work and bill easily for a university setting as well.

Reactions: JSergeant
I work for a tech company with over 3000 employees. We now have almost 120 charging spaces served by about 60 EVSEs across 2 campuses. My company has made the decision to provide EVSE access for all employees who get plug-ins, and to provide that access for free. It's a benefit provided to employees much like free coffee or soda - and it costs about the same as those!

As described here, we've recently switched to installing Clipper Creek HCS40 (32A) units:
Recommendations for light-duty commercial EVSEs

(I'm just a regular employee, but if you really wanted I could put you in touch with our facilities engineer)