Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a 70D and waiting impatiently. I have scheduled a electrician to install NEMA 14-50 in my garage next week. Most of my charging will be done at home.

1. Do you always carry the mobile connector in the car after charging? Or do you leave in the garage?

2. Can you leave it plugged in? I want to arrange it nicely using a wall connector cable organizer that Tesla sells? Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer

3. If you have any other creative ideas, please share.

Thanks

I have two. One stays in the car, the other has been plugged into my 14-50 outlet in my garage since August 2013. I have it on the left side of the garage, and I park the Model S on the right side. My cord lays on the floor. I taped two flat boards to the floor and ran the cable in between them to keep the Volt (parked on the left side of the garage) from crushing it. Right this minute with my Model S at work the head of the connector is resting in a bucket with a rag in the bottom, which is where I drop it every morning after unplugging. (by the way the boards had a side benefit of helping me know when to stop the Volt when I pull in)

I have one long garage door, instead of two, so I have few options for mounting the outlet in the middle of the garage or the ceiling.

I guess maybe a nice solution might be to have the outlet installed in the floor in the middle of the garage, although it would have to be in some sort of box right above the floor so it wouldn't get wet. Or maybe a post with the outlet on top of the post, then hang the cable coiled up on the post. Yeah - that's the ticket. When I have an extra thousand to have that done...

Check out this thread for ideas. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/32748-Organize-your-UMC!

It is fine to leave plugged in. I keep it at home unless I'm taking a trip long enough that I know I'll need it... or if I go to my Wisconsin house, I bring so I can charge overnight there.

Was pretty much the same for me (except second home isn't in Wisconsin :wink:) I debated getting a second UMC just so I could keep one in the car, but when they lowered the price of the HPWC to just $100 more than a UMC, I went that route.

I ordered a 70D and waiting impatiently.
Congratulations. The waiting is the hardest part.

I have scheduled a electrician to install NEMA 14-50 in my garage next week. Most of my charging will be done at home.

1. Do you always carry the mobile connector in the car after charging? Or do you leave in the garage?
I wondered this too before I took delivery, debated getting a HPWC so I could carry the mobile connector with me, etc. Since the car arrived, the mobile connector has stayed in the garage other than for road trips. The car's range is such that I've never run it down even to 50% with around-town driving. I don't even take the connector with me to the airport anymore. This is all the more true since (at least in my area) there are a fair number of public J1772 chargers, which don't need the mobile connector, just the J1772 adapter.

2. Can you leave it plugged in?
Yes. If by "it" you mean "the car" then the answer is "yes, definitely". If you mean the mobile connector then the answer is "yes, although if you look through the archives long enough you might find one or two people who claim it could be problematic."

I want to arrange it nicely using a wall connector cable organizer that Tesla sells? Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer
It had never occurred to me you could use that organizer -- which is sold for the HPWC -- in conjunction with the mobile connector instead. I guess you might. If you do, please report back. (I just use an inexpensive hook I got at the hardware store.)