Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Siting "Thought Problem"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was considering where I might site chargers with that $500K the State of California gave Tesla Motors.

I think I'd (do the obvious and) focus on the population centers and the connections between them. As such, I'd probably look at the the coastal cities (San Diego, metro LA, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, San Jose, San Francisco) with a few others inland (Bakersfield, Fresno, Modesto, Sacramento). I'd also add a couple of tourist outliers (Palm Springs, Tahoe, Napa).

North of San Francisco, the cities become quite small, even rural. Perhaps only Santa Rosa and Eureka might warrant a look, but I'm not sure I'd put them on the first list.

These cities all mostly lie within 100 miles or so of another of them. With the exception of the outliers, they also all lie on one of the three major north-south highways (Interstate 5, U.S. 101, or California State 99).

I think I'd want to follow on with the idea of placing the chargers in higher-end hotels, which are really ideal spots. I'd probably avoid rest stops, as the charger station doesn't seem to be vandal-resistant for the moment.

I'm guessing that a relatively few well-placed sites, perhaps as few as 100, would enable a patient driver to cross California and always be within range of another charger.

To get some meaningful charge, one has to spend a fair bit of time (e.g.: 1+ hours) at the charger. This rules out empty spots along the highway. Best bet is a destination where someone spends some time doing something else.

Yes, Hotels are a great place. So are shopping malls, movie theaters and even amusement parks. Charging spots at Disneyland and Magic Mountain would be nice.

Napa is a very popular get away for the well heeled SF crowd. Perhaps a charging spot at the entry for the wine train?

It would also be great if they had a "solar carport" to go with the charger. Why not set up a solar canopy to protect the parked roadster from the elements, and also feed some solar back into the grid. That way you could actually plan to give more power back than you take, so it would be an easy sale to the entity that provides the parking space and the (metered) grid tie-in.