Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger solution on private car parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was about 10k to install. I will have a separate meter. My building saw the benefits of meeting the demand and that it would potentially increase the value of the building by doing this. We're actually still in process of finishing everything so for now, I have a temporary solution. EV Power is redesigning our wires so that it can accommodate just about everyone in the parking lot. Our spaces are self owned so we don't have some of the other issues discussed.

Mine was about 10k to install. I will have a separate meter. My building saw the benefits of meeting the demand and that it would potentially increase the value of the building by doing this. We're actually still in process of finishing everything so for now, I have a temporary solution. EV Power is redesigning our wires so that it can accommodate just about everyone in the parking lot. Our spaces are self owned so we don't have some of the other issues discussed.

Sweet ... I think certain managing agents / developers have more discretion. In our development if we had more people who wanted EV cars we could have pooled our resources and upgraded the supply station (or applied more communal pressure). In any case, took delivery today of the car and everything is running smoothly (and fast!).

Hi All,

New to the forum and thought I would share my experience with EV Charging in a private estate.

We put in our order for MS late 2013 and are due to get it Oct 2014. We live in a private estate in Tai Wai and own our car parking space (covered). We initially contacted HKEV Power to survey and propose a charging solution which they promptly did for our personal parking space. After lengthy discussions with our management office (who were very willing to help us) we discovered that the supply station closest to our parking space was 'unavailable' for third party usage and to use the supply station we would need to install our own branch into the supply station (which would be prohibitively expensive given the insurance implications for shutting the supply station for the electrical works). As we were insistent on having access to an EV Charger 'in house' we searched for available 'plugs' in the car park and negotiated with the management office to lease us a space adjacent to available electrical supply. We then had HKEV power survey our new space and we installed (at our expense) a 32A charger for our personal use in our leased space. Though it ended up working out (our plan was to keep two cars) it ended up being non-optimal as we could not effectively use our personal space. We found that the biggest issue (in our development) was actually tapping the electrical supply station rather than getting the owner's association go ahead.

Giving the overall costs for installing a charger we would suggest first checking with your development if they have a contractor who can do the electrical work (specially if you only want to install the Tesla Charger though you are likely to be limited to 13A). If that doesn't work then I would advise HK EV Power. We did contact CLP (they were super expensive) and our own private electricity contractor but in the end the only real options are in house contractor or HK EV Power.

IMPORTANT: So we got our Model S and merrily prepared everything at home for our first charging session outside Tesla. Much to our surprise (and dismay) our single phase 32A charger (from HKEV) ONLY delivered 16A of current to our single on board charger on the Tesla. Now, given that we ordered the car late last year we may have been somewhat confused on what exactly the charging requirements were for the Model S. On the website Tesla discusses the single on board charger option (default) as supporting 40A single phase supply. There is no clear mention here (outside the 'for best results use a Tesla charger') that this is only guaranteed to work with a Tesla Charger. The Model S on board charger doesn't actually expect a single phase input (as generated by our HKEV charger) but rather a split phase input which is generated by the Tesla charger (so it takes your single phase supply and 'converts' it to what may be triple phase supply of sorts). If you are using a standard charger from HKEV you need to have TWO on board chargers to achieve 32A power (each charger is limited to 16A because of the split phase configuration). We are currently discussing this matter with HKEV Power and I will post if they are able to modify our private use charger BUT there may be significant issues achieving 32A charging in Hong Kong if you do not use a Tesla charger UNLESS you select the dual charger option.

This seems a bit crazy to me given the way the dual charger option is sold online (achieve 100A power with the dual charger option --- which seems overkill). This may be an 'issue' which for those of you who cannot install a Tesla charger (for whatever reason).

Indeed ... they are familiar about it but I presume they are operating on the assumption that their chargers are meant for any type of car (as I mentioned these chargers are more for multi-user situations) so they haven't modified them to fit Tesla only. Seems they forgot I was a private user. Fingers crossed we sort it out.

They won't do anything, except give a recommendation. Its a very basic job, installing the Wall Connector, so it shouldn't cost much. Mine was $3000.

Should I consult with Tesla first or talk to management office /building committee?

Will Tesla refer me to contractors who do just the installation of the wall charger or will they do everything including wiring, coordinating with HKE to install meter and installing the wall charger?

Should I consult with Tesla first or talk to management office /building committee?

Will Tesla refer me to contractors who do just the installation of the wall charger or will they do everything including wiring, coordinating with HKE to install meter and installing the wall charger?

Last I heard, for installation in common areas, Tesla will refer you to EV Power who will handle the co-ordination. They have the expertise and experience, as well as some financed packages.

If you are in a small building on friendly terms with building committee, it may be easier to sound them out yourself and see what is possible first.

I would recommend talking to Tesla directly and finding out what is the latest approach.

EV power quoted my management Co $60k (about 20m of cables/tray and a sub-meter!) and $24k for their Medium charger. This is insane knowing that they know I drive a Tesla that comes with a wall unit. Normally it's the management co that's greedy who hinted on day 1 that they'll install something for me and charge me a month fee. $60k is 2,000 hours of parking fee at Lee Garden where I could charge for free!

EV Power is doomed if they continue to work with management companies like this.

EV power quoted my management Co $60k (about 20m of cables/tray and a sub-meter!) and $24k for their Medium charger. This is insane knowing that they know I drive a Tesla that comes with a wall unit. Normally it's the management co that's greedy who hinted on day 1 that they'll install something for me and charge me a month fee. $60k is 2,000 hours of parking fee at Lee Garden where I could charge for free!

EV Power is doomed if they continue to work with management companies like this.

60K, you don't need to buy a EV. Spend those money on gas instead. :cursing:

You make inquiry through their customer services email [email protected] (or ask your broker for Zurich to quote)

To make things easier, just provide them more info:

- Risk Address? Car park Space xxx, [property address]
- Is the premises an individual house or village? Multi-story estate. Indoor / Outdoor Car park.
- Home size in sq. ft.? Car park Space
- Age of building? xx years
- Self-occupied, Rental or Tenant?
- Any renovation work finished over the past 5 years? If so, please specify the details.
- Any claims in the past 5 years?

Special Note: [Below was what I wrote, please change to your situation]
An Electric Vehicle charging connector will be installed at the parking space. It is an original power connector to supply electricity to the on-board car charger. The battery and charger are all on-board therefore insured by the car comprehensive insurance, however the power connector is to be installed at parking space. The Estate Management requested for an additional annual 3rd party liabilities insurance to cover the connector and wiring in case of fire, with the sum insured of HK$10,000,000.

The connector will be installed by a licensed electrician Company, EV Power, who also installed and managing hundreds of chargers/connectors in Government Car parks in Hong Kong.

Hi ekwng and everyone, Is convoy the only company offering related insurance? I met the estate management office and formation of owners' corporation yesterday evening and my EV charger installation application will be approved if I can get a 3rd party liabilities insurance for it.

BTW, i'm going to get a 3-phrases 35A power supply, please advise how can i fully utilise it to shorten the charing time. Thanks all.

Seems Convoy is not offering liability insurance for EV charger/connector anyone? I've got their reply as follows,

"Thank you for your enquiry. However, i-Convoy mainly work on personal insurance.Hope we can be of assistance on other occasions in the future."

:crying::crying::crying:

Hi All, I am new. I just bought a new 85D. Can anyone tell me who should i first contact regarding the home power wall connector? Should I first get an electrician to survey my place to see what I need to get done for the wall connector? OR should i talk to my management first? The problem is I don't know what exactly I need from them. I live in a townhouse like area. One block has 4 units with self owned parking space beneath the units. Any help would be appreciated!

I am fairly new to all this. There seems to be a lot of problems regarding the installation, so i want to start as soon as possible before the car delivers.

Following from above, is there a thread here which records locations (and management co's) where Tesla Owners have (not) been successful in sorting out charging infrastructure?

given the complications ... and opportunities, I'm surprised T doesn't have a team here dedicated to sorting this out, from establishing infrastructure in new developments to retrofitting at Tesla-owned locations (home & office)...

Hi All, I am new. I just bought a new 85D. Can anyone tell me who should i first contact regarding the home power wall connector? Should I first get an electrician to survey my place to see what I need to get done for the wall connector? OR should i talk to my management first? The problem is I don't know what exactly I need from them. I live in a townhouse like area. One block has 4 units with self owned parking space beneath the units. Any help would be appreciated!

I am fairly new to all this. There seems to be a lot of problems regarding the installation, so i want to start as soon as possible before the car delivers.

If u are living in a townhouse, there is no need to ask for the approval of the management, since u only need to connect electricity from your own house. Ask an electrician to connect is okay.