TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charger solution on private car parking space

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by ekwng, Mar 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. shiadawg

shiadawg Member

Mine was about 10k to install. I will have a separate meter. My building saw the benefits of meeting the demand and that it would potentially increase the value of the building by doing this. We're actually still in process of finishing everything so for now, I have a temporary solution. EV Power is redesigning our wires so that it can accommodate just about everyone in the parking lot. Our spaces are self owned so we don't have some of the other issues discussed.

2. Tecuhtli

Tecuhtli Member

Sweet ... I think certain managing agents / developers have more discretion. In our development if we had more people who wanted EV cars we could have pooled our resources and upgraded the supply station (or applied more communal pressure). In any case, took delivery today of the car and everything is running smoothly (and fast!).

3. Tecuhtli

Tecuhtli Member

IMPORTANT: So we got our Model S and merrily prepared everything at home for our first charging session outside Tesla. Much to our surprise (and dismay) our single phase 32A charger (from HKEV) ONLY delivered 16A of current to our single on board charger on the Tesla. Now, given that we ordered the car late last year we may have been somewhat confused on what exactly the charging requirements were for the Model S. On the website Tesla discusses the single on board charger option (default) as supporting 40A single phase supply. There is no clear mention here (outside the 'for best results use a Tesla charger') that this is only guaranteed to work with a Tesla Charger. The Model S on board charger doesn't actually expect a single phase input (as generated by our HKEV charger) but rather a split phase input which is generated by the Tesla charger (so it takes your single phase supply and 'converts' it to what may be triple phase supply of sorts). If you are using a standard charger from HKEV you need to have TWO on board chargers to achieve 32A power (each charger is limited to 16A because of the split phase configuration). We are currently discussing this matter with HKEV Power and I will post if they are able to modify our private use charger BUT there may be significant issues achieving 32A charging in Hong Kong if you do not use a Tesla charger UNLESS you select the dual charger option.

This seems a bit crazy to me given the way the dual charger option is sold online (achieve 100A power with the dual charger option --- which seems overkill). This may be an 'issue' which for those of you who cannot install a Tesla charger (for whatever reason).

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

HKEV should have known about this for months already, and have the experience.

5. Tecuhtli

Tecuhtli Member

Indeed ... they are familiar about it but I presume they are operating on the assumption that their chargers are meant for any type of car (as I mentioned these chargers are more for multi-user situations) so they haven't modified them to fit Tesla only. Seems they forgot I was a private user. Fingers crossed we sort it out.

6. Vmax

Vmax Member

Just learned another owner got his application for a charger approved in my estate. Good news.

7. b18221964

b18221964 Member

Is Tesla responsible to install their charge unit? While I am responsible to to provide them the power source? Or they don't do any installation, just a final inspection after everything is done?

8. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

You are responsible for installation. Tesla can refer you to a "Recommended Contractor" but you negotiate and pay the charge.

9. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

They won't do anything, except give a recommendation. Its a very basic job, installing the Wall Connector, so it shouldn't cost much. Mine was $3000.

10. b18221964

b18221964 Member

Should I consult with Tesla first or talk to management office /building committee?

Will Tesla refer me to contractors who do just the installation of the wall charger or will they do everything including wiring, coordinating with HKE to install meter and installing the wall charger?

11. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Last I heard, for installation in common areas, Tesla will refer you to EV Power who will handle the co-ordination. They have the expertise and experience, as well as some financed packages.

If you are in a small building on friendly terms with building committee, it may be easier to sound them out yourself and see what is possible first.

I would recommend talking to Tesla directly and finding out what is the latest approach.

12. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

EV power quoted my management Co $60k (about 20m of cables/tray and a sub-meter!) and $24k for their Medium charger. This is insane knowing that they know I drive a Tesla that comes with a wall unit. Normally it's the management co that's greedy who hinted on day 1 that they'll install something for me and charge me a month fee. $60k is 2,000 hours of parking fee at Lee Garden where I could charge for free!

EV Power is doomed if they continue to work with management companies like this.

13. b18221964

b18221964 Member

60K, you don't need to buy a EV. Spend those money on gas instead. :cursing:

14. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

Yes, that's 38,000km on a 2.5litre ICE .... I'm in construction industry I could ring a friendly licensed electrical contractor to do that job in $5k ... plus a few beer! Anyone from EVPower following this forum?

15. b18221964

b18221964 Member

That's awesome, I scheduled my test drive next week. I will get all my answers from Tesla.

16. Toma Chan

Toma Chan Member

Hi ekwng and everyone, Is convoy the only company offering related insurance? I met the estate management office and formation of owners' corporation yesterday evening and my EV charger installation application will be approved if I can get a 3rd party liabilities insurance for it.

BTW, i'm going to get a 3-phrases 35A power supply, please advise how can i fully utilise it to shorten the charing time. Thanks all.

17. HKDefender110

HKDefender110 Member

Seems Convoy is not offering liability insurance for EV charger/connector anyone? I've got their reply as follows,

"Thank you for your enquiry. However, i-Convoy mainly work on personal insurance.Hope we can be of assistance on other occasions in the future."

:crying::crying::crying:

18. Hinson Lai

Hinson Lai Member

Hi All, I am new. I just bought a new 85D. Can anyone tell me who should i first contact regarding the home power wall connector? Should I first get an electrician to survey my place to see what I need to get done for the wall connector? OR should i talk to my management first? The problem is I don't know what exactly I need from them. I live in a townhouse like area. One block has 4 units with self owned parking space beneath the units. Any help would be appreciated!

I am fairly new to all this. There seems to be a lot of problems regarding the installation, so i want to start as soon as possible before the car delivers.

19. Editot

Editot Member

Following from above, is there a thread here which records locations (and management co's) where Tesla Owners have (not) been successful in sorting out charging infrastructure?

given the complications ... and opportunities, I'm surprised T doesn't have a team here dedicated to sorting this out, from establishing infrastructure in new developments to retrofitting at Tesla-owned locations (home & office)...

20. Silverbird

Silverbird Member

If u are living in a townhouse, there is no need to ask for the approval of the management, since u only need to connect electricity from your own house. Ask an electrician to connect is okay.