Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger solution on private car parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Vmax,

Can you please post your EV Power solution here? EV power proposed me a solution that needs to connect to my home's meter directly. I think it is quite expensive as the meter (12/F) is far away from my parking space (B2/F)
ResidentalProposal.gif

LT_S60,
I didn't receive a diagram from EV Power. My meter is close to my carpark directly in the switchboard room for the building. Only 15m of cable was required. The majority of the charges are the cost of the wallbox.

Hi Vmax,

Can you please post your EV Power solution here? EV power proposed me a solution that needs to connect to my home's meter directly. I think it is quite expensive as the meter (12/F) is far away from my parking space (B2/F)

WHAT a waste of copper, power and money. Sending the electricity all the way to 12th floor, then back to the basement. Is this really the only way it can be done? Imagine the average joe, buying a Tesla, when he hears about all the trouble, and all the money he has to spend. And how about if you live on 68th floor?

LT_S60, yes, charger and installation cost
As I mentioned in several posts before, the problem of charging at apartment carparks will be the biggest obstacle for wide range adoption of EVs in Hong Kong.

Totally agreed! There must be some legislation here, to enforce availability of charging in car parks. At least the ability to install it, at the users request (and investment).

Who owns the infrastructure, if a tenant pays for it, owner or tenant? What if you move, does the value of it belong to the owner, or the next tenant?

At the time I put down my model S reservation payment, I was living in a serviced apartment in the Sha Tin area. I was asking about charging facilities in the car park, and despite several attempts, they wouldn't budge, not even for a 13A charger. This, despite me having paid for a reserved (dedicated) spot just for me. With all the lights and other electrical equipment there, I was amazed with the excuses they could come up with for NOT letting me install a charger.

Where I am now, the spirit is quite positive, and they are even talking about installing a whole battery of chargers (EDIT: pun again, saw it only while proofreading my post!). They will, however, only do it when quality, safety, legality and so on, is all in place. I won't have to pay for the installation (yay!), there will be some kind of charge (no pun intended) for the electricity. They don't know yet how, and if anyone would like to suggest an approach here, I would really like to feed the management some useful legal and technical information to make it easier for them.

Last edited:
I have installed over a dozen (for myself, son, daughter, friends) of 32amp, 40amp, 80amp EVSE including the Tesla HPWC. For your reference: for 40Amp EVSE, you will need a 50amp double pole breaker USD$15-30 pending on type of panel you have; 6 awg [or 8 awg if the EVSE is in short distance to the breaker box] for the two hots USD$1.60/ft (it's $80/ft per wire, needs 2) + 10awg for ground USD$0.30/ft + a EMT tubing (not expensive). Labor is 1/2 a day (experience electrician) or 1 day max.

If your panel is undersize or your don't have enough feed from your utility company, that would have a added cost.

sonywong,
Yes, separate meter and CLP will bill me directly.
Charging stations use building's power (3phase), which has plenty spare capacity based on EV powers testing.

Congrats Vmax!! This is ideal and I never realise that can be done. I was told by EVPower this can't be done, I should check again with CLP...

Congrats Vmax!! This is ideal and I never realise that can be done. I was told by EVPower this can't be done, I should check again with CLP...

What I have been told is that each 'premises' has one meter. So, you can't have two meters in a single house under one ownership. I guess the concern is that as the electricity rates increase the higher the usage, splitting the usage across two meters would result in lower bills. Also, the electricity company pays for and supplies the meters.

The way around it is to split the premises. Say you are renting one floor out, you get a separate meter for that floor. That is essentially what apartment buildings are doing - one meter per apartment.

Now, with garage spaces in apartment buildings, some distance from the owner's apartment, I suppose the argument must be made that it is a separate premises under the same owner (just as if you owned two apartments in the same building). So long as they are individual (such as you could sell the parking lot while still owning an apartment), that should be ok.

In my case (ground floor of house is the garage), CLP refused a separate meter. I was told that if I told them I was going to rent out the garage, they would have to comply and provide a separate supply. I never pushed the point, as it worked out just as easy/cheap to increase the supply and split to two MCBs myself.

not in my case! =) I didn't need to ask for permission from mgt.

I don't really understand - what is the difference between wife and management?

My wife is super excited we are getting this car, and she is taking a drivers license. She was waiting since last fall, to get a practical test here in next week. Unfortunately, she couldn't do the driving training because of vacation and various other reasons, so we had to reschedule the test - wait another 6 months or so. Just like the marine department, one way of keeping the amount of ships/cars from growing too much seem to make it difficult to schedule a driving test, so maybe she will have her license by Christmas, who knows?